hard drive gone bad?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

khknin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

hard drive gone bad?

Post by khknin »

Hi,

I erased my internal disk with 7-Pass Erase option and few hours later I get a message (I forgot what it said but I think it said "Overtime or Overload" not quite sure). Now I hear my hard drive "tic tic" and I just took my hard drive out. The hard drive was not even a year old. Is my hard drive gone bad? Anyone had this problem?
gregwhartley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by gregwhartley »

PC or Mac? If it's PC you can download IBM/Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test to test the drive. Usually a consistent "tic tic" means a bad HDD. Just google Drive Fitness Test and burn the .iso to a disc and boot off of it. if it's Mac use the hardware diag test that comes on the OS install disc.

Greg
"We are all disgusting, doomed to our dirty little tasks. Eating and farting and scratching and smiling and celebrating holidays." -Bukowski
khknin

Post by khknin »

Greg,

I'm using G5 2Ghz. The problem is that the hard drive is not mounting. My G5 doesn't know it's there. Any suggestion?

Thanks again,

khk
baanes

Post by baanes »

Can you see it in disk utility? If so, try deleting any partitions on it and recreating them. If not, you might be screwed.