Solo/Soli Question

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

lamboguy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Solo/Soli Question

Post by lamboguy »

I'm a bit confused with how many voices MI can play at once on a single track. I'm working on a symphonic piece which has the traditional:
2 fl
2 ob
2 cl
2 bsn
setup for the woodwinds. At first I tried writing 2 flute notes in a single flute track (solo flute, sustained) and found that only one played at a time. So, I created a separate flute 2 track and wrote one note on each track -- that works.

But now I'm just down to the bassoons, and dang it all, 2 notes are playing at the same time on a single bassoon track, just as I had convinced myself that a solo woodwind track is mono.

What have I done wrong this time? :)

Are these single SI tracks mono or polyphonic?

Thanks,

Fred
alexff

Post by alexff »

Check the polyphony setting for each part (near the top)
If it's "1", the instrument is played solo. Jack the number up (to anything you want) and you can play as many notes as you want.
Macbook, Leopard 10.5.1, Logic 8.01, MOTU Traveler.
---------------------
http://www.smoothbeatsonly.com
lamboguy

Post by lamboguy »

Oh goodness -- I see it! Thanks.

I had messed around with the "mono" button, but failed to make it the extra 1/4" up to the "poly" window.

Thank you!

Fred
lamboguy

Post by lamboguy »

Ok, now I'm finding that the poly feature is buggy. Sometimes it allows me true polyphony, and sometimes it seems to randomly allow certain notes and not others....regardless of where the poly setting is set.

Has anybody else played around with this? I haven't upgraded to MSI 1.1 yet and maybe I should. But I read about problems with that version too so for now I'm sticking with 1.0 to get this project finished.

It's easy to stick with separate mono tracks, so that's what I'll do for now. But it would be nice to have the poly function working properly! :)

Cheers,

Fred
Harry

Post by Harry »

The Poly mode does not function!
Also the change of the keyrange in expert window does not functon!
OS 10.14.6, iMac i7.3,5 with 32 GB Ram, 828x, Miditimepiece AV, DP 10.00 (ger.)
MachFive 3, MSi, Ethno 1, Omnisphere 2, Sampletank 4, Forest Kingdom II, Desert Winds, EWQLSO-Silver, Real Guitar 2, VLP120, PLP120, VCP120, Liquid Saxophones, Elastic, The Resource, Wave Arts PowerSuite 4+5 and Master Restoration, Kontaktplayer, Absynth 5, Ni Action Strings etc.
papageno

Post by papageno »

Harry wrote:Also the change of the keyrange in expert window does not functon!
Yes it does. However it should be named: "NARROW the key range".

Grrrrrrr.... see the thread about MSI key ranges in this section. Motu sucks in this.
+372 56222285