HD192 Clocking

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
laurence
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

HD192 Clocking

Post by laurence »

Hi Guys, i'm just looking for advice on running one HD 192 with one machine.. i also have a Pro Tools HD RIG with a Sync I/o and am wondering whether i should use the 424 internal clock, HD internal clock or clock it externally using the Sync I/O clock ?? i'm using the HD192 for stereo 24/96 mixdowns after Pro Tools feeds multiple channels to an analog console, so the two units aren't needing to be in sync for any reason really besides if the Sync I/O may have better clock.. i suppose i can just listen but i'd really appreciate others opinions !

Oh yeah, also seeing i am only using one HD192 would i notice a big difference by using a Big Ben clock as it's master.. or are they generally quite good when only one device is running the show ! ....

cheers
DP 7.12 ~ G5 dual 2.3 / Mac Pro Quad 3/Genelec ~ ProTools HD 7.4 / 8 with 96 i/o's / MOTU 2408 Mk 3 + 1224
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

The Sync I/O is a product that is certainly needed when timecode is involved, but I don't feel there is anything special about the internal clock. As compared to the MOTU clock, I honestly don't know if it would be an improvement....but if you already own it, why not try it. The best way to test is record a silent track (recording the noise-floor) both with and w/o the clock and analyze the waveform.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
laurence

Post by laurence »

cheers Brad ! BTW, do you find a noticeable difference by running the Big Ben ? If i had a Big Ben could i use it to clock the MOTU HD192 running on one computer as a mastering machine and on my 3 96 I/O's running from another machine with PT and DP simultaneously ?

cheeErs ml
DP 7.12 ~ G5 dual 2.3 / Mac Pro Quad 3/Genelec ~ ProTools HD 7.4 / 8 with 96 i/o's / MOTU 2408 Mk 3 + 1224
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Goodness yes! :-)
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
pounce

Post by pounce »

short of using an external clock, the hd192 internal clock is better than the one in the 424 imho. i'd start with that as the default clock while investigating any other options.
abode
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by abode »

laurence wrote:cheers Brad ! BTW, do you find a noticeable difference by running the Big Ben ? If i had a Big Ben could i use it to clock the MOTU HD192 running on one computer as a mastering machine and on my 3 96 I/O's running from another machine with PT and DP simultaneously ?

cheeErs ml
mix mag (www.mixonline.com) did a review of the bigben - in it he was testing a motu hd192 back to back with a rosetta 96, he really seemed to dig the effect teh bigben had on the sound of the hd192 (even over apogee's own rosetta) - i believe he was running just one hd192 however - so i would think it would make a difference even so. you don't have to take my word for it tho, i've never had the "listening test" myself - but it is something that intrigues me a bit (;

anyways the article is here.

http://mixonline.com/products/review/au ... onics_big/

here's a quote to intrigue you

"The sonic differences between recordings made with the HD192 A/Ds when slaved to Big Ben's internal clock vs. using the HD192's internal clock were simply astounding."