MX4 Help needed!

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

dgrussell

MX4 Help needed!

Post by dgrussell »

Please forgive the cross post. The DP board is more active than the MX4 board and I am in need of urgent help.

I recently purchase MX4 to work on a film. I really enjoy using it except for one major proble. The plug always forgets all my MIDI controller maps when I close the file! Resetting the controllers (which can be very numerous) everytime I open the file is tedious. Just a quick example. I use the contextual menu for the main volume slide and selet "Learn Controller Mapping." I then move the fader on my controller sending CC #7 volume. Everything works great. But if I close the file and reopen it I have to "Learn" the controller again. Some of my patches have quite a few controllers and having to relearn all the controllers everytime makes the prgram unusable within my time constraints. What am I doing wrong? I have "Learned" the controller map and saved the patch in MX4, saved the setting via the mini menu as well as save the DP file. It always forgets. I have been trying to call MOTU tech support but of course only get a busy signal.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
David
dgrussell

Post by dgrussell »

Just got off the phone with tech support. MX4 will NOT remember Controller Mapping regardless of how you save it! MOTU Tech verified this for me. So, if you create a patch with mod wheel controlling filter, you HAVE to relearn that function EVERY time you open the synth!! If you have a patch with 5 controllers they all have to be relearned. If you have a file that has several MX4 instances each with multiple controllers, they ALL have to be relearned everytime you open the file!! IMHO, this is just plain dumb. If I program my Kurzweil K2000 with all sorts of MIDI messages controlling different parameters. When I save the patch all those maps are saved as part of the patch. if I load that patch 5 years klater they are all still there. Also if I bring that patch to someone with the same gear its all there. NOT with MX4!! I am stunned that such a basic feature is not there...espescially since we are on version 2.
paradeatw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by paradeatw »

wow... thats lame... luckily i haven't ran into too much mapping on mx4, now i know not to bother... dude... seriously, what is that about?
The Arsenal:
DP 4.6 | OSX 10.4.8 | G5 Dual 1.8 | 4 GB RAM
Omega 8 | MPC2500 | Moog LP | API A2D | SM7
UAD | Waves SSL | RME Multiface 2 |KRK V6

Crazy Music and Crap: www.myspace.com/shanefontane
Post Pop Music House: www.postpopmusic.com
stretta
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stretta »

If you want to save a patch with the mod wheel controlling the filter, use the built-in modulation system. Select mod wheel as the source and route the modulation to the filter. Save patch. Done.

If you want to use a MIDI controller to always route whatever to whatever, every MX4 parameter has an NRPN assignment. Program your controller to send that NRPN.