Firewire bandwidth issues with 3 MOTU 828 interfaces?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
forsooth
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Firewire bandwidth issues with 3 MOTU 828 interfaces?

Post by forsooth »

I have a friend who has just bought his first Motu hardware and Digital Performer 4.6 and the stuff is on it's way to him.

He has just found out that the 424 PCI won't work in his new G5. One week old!

He is already considering returning the 2408 MKIII ( which I suggested he buy ....oops!) and getting 3 Motu 828s.

He just emailed me this question a few minutes ago.

"Any thoughts on Firewire bandwidth issues with the MOTU 828 interfaces; 3 daisy chained running 24 tracks real time? I always assumed you never got more than 8 of any type input on these boxes due to bandwidth issues."

I'm sorry for giving him the wrong information so I wonder if anyone hear could chime in and offer their thoughts on the matter.

Thanks ....... he needs some help urgently!

forsooth :oops:
qo

Post by qo »

He should be fine. 24 tracks at 96kHz/24 is 6.9MByte/s. FW400 is 50MByte/sec.

He might run into a problem if he adds a FW drive to the chain since drives are bursty.

Is this one of the macs with only PCIe? If he DOES have issues, he can always buy a PCIe FW card which will use the PCIe bandwidth. I haven't checked to see if any are available that work with the new macs though.
forsooth

Post by forsooth »

Thanks qo!

I posted the question over on osxaudio as well just to make sure and got an answer there too.

here it is: http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=27680

It was his idea about the 828s but personally I'd go for the 896HD and the the Digimax LT over the RME and Focusrite stuff they are recommending.

He is in the studio right now but I'll check in with him later and check back once I know what sort of G5 he has.

He has a pile of ADAT stuff and that is why I suggested that one 2408 would be able to fit his needs. He is/was a diehard analog guy .........and I love it too but .......... times are a changing!

I'm happy with my portable rig and firewire, never any problems and 16 channels easily.

Different horses for different courses!

Cheers

forsooth :wink:
forsooth

Post by forsooth »

Here is part of the reply that I received. This is what he is currently using. This is a work in process and since he is really busy right now I need to wait until he gives me some more information.

He just bought a bunch of studio equipment, part of which was a
2.0GHz Dual-core Power PC G5/2GB ram/160GB Serial ATA -7200 rpm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are his comments:

ADAT HD24XR or (3) ADAT XT20 generally 44.1K or 48K
HD24XR will originate most recordings, and its outputs will be used to feed mountains of analog processing and console (original transitional plan); (3) 828mk2's would obviously give a second complete set of converter choices.

Seems massively redundant now, but would allow HD24 to sit idle or go to another job if called upon; two incomes being a necessity of modern life; especially after paying for all this!

Not sure, but may be that the Cuemix console feature would allow monitoring of 24 tracks at remotes. Can't tell if there is any clear way to cascade sections together. Probably not; but could still monitor groups of 8 at a time with simple headphone move.

duh; obviously firewire can handle the bandwidth; I will at times be using the ADAT Fireport to do high-speed transfers from the HD24XR drives when sessions are already in a completely tracked state. I think this runs at maybe 10 times the speed which sounds about right based on those bandwidth calculations.

The 2408 WAS still the most economical method to go realtime between ADAT systems and computer, at least that I am aware of.

I am certain I'm doing this in a very stubborn NASA-style behind the times way. I have no desire or intention to work in the computer any more than necessary, and I need to be able to get in and out in a few different ways; whichever is fastest-possible for the paying-customer (with very little $) scenario.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll update this when I can

forsooth
forsooth

Post by forsooth »

OK here's the reply from my mate:
.........................................................................................................

Would not the 828mk2 have the same converters as the 2408mk3? Yes, it's the damned new Mac with the PCIe bus. In a standard Twilight Zone encounter, the folks who still have the old versions are selling them for same or more knowing that audio people need them. Not that it does me any good anyway.
.........................................................................................................
So the new G5 Mac has the PCIe bus. Anyone got one and using the PCIe FW card with their machine?

Suggestions please!

I've convinced him that the folks here are good guys and he needs to get with the program. Damned analog guys :mrgreen:

Pssst .......anyone want to buy a re-furbished Revox PR99 and 10 reels of NOS Quantegy 499 1/4" tape

forsooth :mrgreen: