will MOTU ever update 828mkII firmware/software?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
synterx

will MOTU ever update 828mkII firmware/software?

Post by synterx »

I like my 828mkII as much as anyone, but it would REALLY be useful if you could get the computer mix coming out of the DAW into the other 3 mixes. In order for me to get the proper mix while tracking guitars, I have to connect cables coming out of my Big Knob back into inputs 7/8, then create a Bus 2 mix with analog outs 1-2 coming back into the Big Knob...in other words, physically patching the daw mix back into the 828...Not to mention a few other little nags that should be fixable. What is MOTU's history with updates? This is my first MOTU hardware product...do they just replace a unit completely, or tweak it once in a great while?
mothra
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mothra »

Um sounds like you need to go re-read about the features of your interface.
This feature has been there for awhile now right in the CueMix console.
jjnewkirk

Post by jjnewkirk »

My 828 mkII Firmware says Rev. 1.0 and there's evidently no way to update it. I know there's been a couple revs since 1.0
G4 Dual 1 Ghz / 1 GB / OS 10.3.9 / DP 4.61 / DSP Quattro 2.1.2 / 828 mkII FireWire / PreSonus DigiMax / ACARD 6880M & 2x120GB / AT 4050s / Event 2020 monitors
visiondig

install update

Post by visiondig »

I'm not sure I understand why you can't update to the latest version. Just download it from the MOTU website and install. On PC it will overwrite the old files, and on Mac you need to trash the old ones. There's a couple library files you gotta go in and delete on the MAC too. Is that where you're getting hung up? -Dan
Kevan

Post by Kevan »

I believe his question is about firmware not software. I'm not sure you can download the 1.01 firmware for the 828mkII but I may be wrong. I suggest calling MOTU and asking them how to update the firmware.

Kevan
qo

Post by qo »

Kevan wrote:I believe his question is about firmware not software. I'm not sure you can download the 1.01 firmware for the 828mkII but I may be wrong. I suggest calling MOTU and asking them how to update the firmware.

Kevan
Agreed. My guess is that they need to send you a ROM that holds the newer firmware. I don't think the 828, or any MOTU product, uses flash EEPROM because there are no firmware updaters on their site.
mothra

Post by mothra »

The Traveler has a firmware update that comes with the last couple revs of the FW driver.

However the feature hes asking about has nothing to do with the firmware.
It was made available in one of the last few updates as well..
Come to think of it about the time the Traveler driver became part of the package..
synterx

Post by synterx »

Are you sure that feature is there now? The computer's feed comes back in the FIRST mix of the four you get in CueMix, and there is no level slider for the DAW feed...but for mix two, three, and four, there is no DAW included at all. This is what I mean. I want the other mixes to also have a DAW feed in them, and preferrably, it's own slider. I just bought a Presonus Firebox, $250, and it's mixer application has a slider of it's own, labeled "software", and I can adjust the level of Logic (in my case) right there as easy as pie.

Are you guys telling me this feature has been added? I have 1.0.1 firmware, and all the latest Cuemix updates.
crankz1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by crankz1 »

You are correct ..... DAW output only appears as an input to Mix Bus 1. And, CueMix doesn't offer attenuation of the DAW output appearing in Mix Bus 1.
It would be nice if MOTU would offer the ability to have the DAW output present in all Mix Busses as well as attenuation control like with your Presonus.
I wonder if that would be a firmware issue or if this is something that could be achieved with a driver re-write?
~It all works out in the end~
mothra

Post by mothra »

I cant remember, I never use it myself, but I couldve sworn I had the Mix1/Mix2 faders available in CueMix...
As for using it on multiple busses that I cant answer..
I only ever use bus 1 for my main monitors, and bus 2 to feed FX via SPDIF and Ive never used the Mix 1/2 feature..

I do know that the Mix1/Mix2 shows up in Logic as regular old audio channels along with all the other MOTU's I/O.. Perhaps the whole point is adjusting the level there in your sequencer app and sending it back on out that way?? Although if theyve limited it to just being available on the first CueMix bus that would be kinda dumb..
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

Your DAW's output isn't automatically routed to CueMix's Bus 1 -- your DAW output is routed to where ever you route it to in your DAW. If you want your DAW's output routed to more than one CueMix bus, then route it to the corresponding outputs in your DAW.

For example:

Let's say your CueMix busses are assigned to:
- Bus 1: Main Outs
- Bus 2: Analog 1-2
- Bus 3: Analog 3-4
- Bus 4: S/PDIF 1-2

If you assign your DAW's output to Main Outs, then yes, it will only go to CueMix Bus 1. But if you instead route all of your DAW tracks to both Main Outs and Analog 1-2 in your DAW, then your DAW output will be heard from both CueMix Bus 1 and Bus 2. If you are using DP, do something like this to route your tracks to multiple outputs:
- Assign all tracks' outputs to bus 1-2
- Create two aux tracks, both with bus 1-2 as their input. For output, choose Main Outs for the first, and Analog 1-2 for the second.

Hopefully this clears it up.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."