828mkII Digital In noises

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Wetchip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828mkII Digital In noises

Post by Wetchip »

I have DP 4.6 in a 44.1k/16bit session tring to record digital outs from a Roland XV-5080 and also an MPC1000 in to the digital/optical in of the 828mkII. Whenever a sound is transmitted I get a digital pulsing noise/distortion along with the sound. I've tried reducing the digital output from both these instruments but still get the same results.
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Do you have the appropriate sample-rate and bit-depth set? Are you using HIGH-grade digital cable? Do you have the appropriate Master/Slave configured?
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
Wetchip

Almost Everything...

Post by Wetchip »

I have everything except hi-grade cable...I'm off to the store. Thanks
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

I'm not saying this is the problem, but it could be.... there is a myth that digital is digital, but that so isn't true. I've experienced several times where cheap cable has caused dropout due to jitter....ANY interference in digital signal is jitter, and the slightest bit of jitter can cause something as simple as dropout, clicks, distortion, etc.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
visiondig

VERY interesting

Post by visiondig »

God, I can't believe I never thought of that. I've experienced this same phenomenon from time to time and racked my brain trying to figure it out. I'm well-schooled in syncing devices, yet I always assumed there was an issue with the way I was syncing when all along it was probably this one cheap-ass optical cable I got awhile back that runs the clock sync from an 828mk2 to my digital mixer. I figured I could use that POS cable to run back into the mixer because I never send audio data through it. It is purely just to recieve the clock from the 828mk2. From time to time I get a wicked static or on the right chanel or random clicks and pops that you don't hear while recording, but scares the piss out of you when you try to play back. Since it only happens once in a great while though, I've never been able to figure out the source of the problem... Until now. I thank the dumb-asses that taught me that "digital is digital" when ADAT optical lightpipe first came out. freakin idiots. I'm glad I read this string though. Thanks.