MAJOR Sync issue with DP 4.52

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Splinter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MAJOR Sync issue with DP 4.52

Post by Splinter »

I am trying to load 48 tracks from 2 DA38s in 3 passes into DP 4.52 synced to a Digital Timepiece. I have done this successfully hundreds of times in the past. On my present project, my first since upgrading to 4.52, everything appears to lock up, tapes sync, DTP lights up with all the right indicators, DP kicks in, but the audio is out of sync and inconsistantly. Sometimes its just a few milliseconds and other times its a second or 2! I tried disabling "Monitoring through effects," but no dice. Recieve sync is set to Sample accurate and clock is PCI 424:ADAT, but no sync!

Is anyone else having this issue with 4.52?
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
Splinter

Re: MAJOR Sync issue with DP 4.52

Post by Splinter »

anyone?
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
hoptune
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by hoptune »

Why is it set to ADAT??

that puzzles me
life is amusing
dtobocman

Post by dtobocman »

Check your receive clock settings... 424:word clock... connect WC out of the DA88 to WC in of the MOTU interface...

(if possible, I don't know your gear intimiately).

<small>[ March 18, 2005, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: dtobocman ]</small>
David Tobocman
www.DavidTobocman.com
billf

Post by billf »

Originally posted by Splinter:
I am trying to load 48 tracks from 2 DA38s in 3 passes into DP 4.52 synced to a Digital Timepiece. I have done this successfully hundreds of times in the past. On my present project, my first since upgrading to 4.52, everything appears to lock up, tapes sync, DTP lights up with all the right indicators, DP kicks in, but the audio is out of sync and inconsistantly. Sometimes its just a few milliseconds and other times its a second or 2! I tried disabling "Monitoring through effects," but no dice. Recieve sync is set to Sample accurate and clock is PCI 424:ADAT, but no sync!

Is anyone else having this issue with 4.52?
I can't get DP 4.52 to work properly at all, so I haven't been able to test sync to my ADAT. But have you spoken to MOTU about it?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Splinter

Post by Splinter »

Nope, you have to have it set to ADAT to get sample accurate sync. This is new with the 424 card. It used to be you set the sync to "Control Track" on the 324 card, they gott rid of the control track port on the 424.

I've done this hundreds of times. I don't really need instructions how to do it (though I am open to anything I might be overlooking), I'm just wondering if it is a problem anyone else has encountered.

Thanks guys.

<small>[ March 18, 2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Splinter ]</small>
Splinter

Post by Splinter »

For those who are not familiar with the set up, here ya go:

The DTP is the master clock. It drives the DA38s with clock, address and machine control via the DA sync, and provides sample accurate clock to the 424 card (DP) via the ADAT out. DP provides address (MTC) and machine control via MIDI out of my MOTU fastlane into the DTP. DP is set to transmit MTC via the DTP and receive sample accurate sync. DP's clock is set to receive PCI-424:ADAT.

I can set up this config in my sleep... but it's not working. Any insights?
Splinter

Post by Splinter »

This is a MAJOR DP 4.52 issue. I exported an empty DP template from 4.52 to 4.12 with the exact settings I used to digitally dump the tapes in 4.52. Opened the template into 4.12. Loaded numerous tracks from the DA tapes into 4.12 with no problems. Everything is completely sample accurate. No shift and completely consistant.

While I'm glad to know it is not an issue with my equipment, I am seriously hacked that 4.52 has such a serious bug. I'll need to reload 6 songs wasting many hours. I guess I'll load them into 4.12 then open them into 4.52 to mix. MOTU needs to fix this!

My next test is to try loading my tapes into 4.52 with ADC off. Maybe this is a related problem.
billf

Post by billf »

Originally posted by Splinter:
This is a MAJOR DP 4.52 issue. I exported an empty DP template from 4.52 to 4.12 with the exact settings I used to digitally dump the tapes in 4.52. Opened the template into 4.12. Loaded numerous tracks from the DA tapes into 4.12 with no problems. Everything is completely sample accurate. No shift and completely consistant.

While I'm glad to know it is not an issue with my equipment, I am seriously hacked that 4.52 has such a serious bug. I'll need to reload 6 songs wasting many hours. I guess I'll load them into 4.12 then open them into 4.52 to mix. MOTU needs to fix this!

My next test is to try loading my tapes into 4.52 with ADC off. Maybe this is a related problem.
Splinter, that is consistent with my experience as well. DP 4.12 works and DP 4.52 chokes on the same material, same setup.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1