Quad G5 Compatibility with MOTU PCI Based systems

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
robotspeak2002
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Quad G5 Compatibility with MOTU PCI Based systems

Post by robotspeak2002 »

Anyone know when and if motu will be offering modified PCIe versions as a retrofit to their existing PCI based systems [which will not work with the new quad G5s]?

thanks kids,
a
alan stewart
robotspeak
589 1/2 haight street
san francisco, ca 94117
http://www.robotspeak.com
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

When Motu posts something, we'll all know.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
dix

Post by dix »

Well I for one am starting to get irritated. MOTU is after all basically a hardware company. Seems like they'd want to sell their hardware to people who buy (new) Macs.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Before youget to irratated, why don't you wait until they announce
something first?
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
edmaestro

Post by edmaestro »

I think the reason he is irritated, which I can understand, is that MOTU has not announced anything Yet!

Ed Rosenblatt
Maestro Productions
Southington, CT
Ed Rosenblatt
Maestro Productions
Southington, CT
giles117

Post by giles117 »

How many of us have used a PCIe Mac yet?????
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
dix

Post by dix »

giles117 wrote:How many of us have used a PCIe Mac yet?????
Well...obviously no one w motu PCI cards. That's the point. Although there are still legacy Macs available for the time being, Apple basically now only sells PCIe machines. MOTU only sells PCI hardware.

I have the need, I have the money for a quad. Now I'm waiting for MOTU to get on board. ....and getting irritated w MOTU for the lack of a timely announcement.

....strange: when the g5 was announced motu had a simultaneous announcement ready. makes me think they were really caught off guard this time.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
giles117

Post by giles117 »

So no one has purchased a PCIe Mac. Hmmm and so far no one is using one. Hmmm so we are bent out of shape because MOTU is silent. Hmm. How many of us have been with MOTU for any length of time. I have and I have seen plenty of "non communicativeness" from MOTU over the years, but they always come up with the needed solution (or pretty darn close)

I guess my point is relax (dont bust a blood vessel).

Heck I am looking for PCIe SATA 4 channel cards. I have found 2 Ch. Cards, but not 4 ch cards. :)
DP 6.02
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

dix

Post by dix »

Agreed. I long ago came to terms with the fact that non-communication is SOP for MOTU (...still, their virtual lack of a direct communication with users is by far the worst thing about an otherwise excellent company imo). However I've also noticed that they do eventually respond to squeaky wheels. Therefore, unfortunately, threads like this are also SOP for MOTU users.
mothra

Post by mothra »

MOTU is always on the ball and are actually pretty smart in that it doesnt announce a product until ITS READY TO SELL.
Jeez people.. Did anyone even notice Apple isnt mentioning anything about Pro Audio regarding these machines? They were designed with high end graphics crunching in mind, especially since just about the only PCIe cards available are GRAPHICS cards. I dont see any mention of Logic or Soundtrack or Garbageband anywhere in reference to the new systems. Theyre thinking labs with this one folks.

MOTUs probably been testing PCIe interfaces for a bit now..
But why would they want to get everyones hopes up when something could get delayed or not work right in the end..

They get enough crap about 'non-communication' so why would they want more prematurely announcing something that might possibly not turn out like they wanted it..
Cause you know theres always gonna be somebody that bitches about it.

Just like MOTUs always done, in due time your precious PCIe 524 or whatever card will come out, its going to work just perfect, and you can all stop worrying.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Heaven forbid they act like mackie and announce a product that doesnt ship for over a year.
DP 6.02
Euphonix MC Control

dix

Post by dix »

mothra wrote:MOTU is always on the ball and are actually pretty smart in that it doesnt announce a product until ITS READY TO SELL.
That works much better when no one knows it's coming - 4.6 was an unexpected pleasant surprise. However, Apple made this announcement for them. Even though they haven't even acknowledged it, obviously MOTU isn't going to quit making PCI hardware. Since they were so on-it w the G5 transition I guess I'm surprised they weren't more prepared. Digi was the only one to get the memo apparently. ...either that or they're just ad-libing. Figuring by the end of the year they'll have a real plan.

since I keep getting told to 'calm down', and 'not to worry' i'm including these emoticons to show just how calm and not worried i am :D :P :o :) :D :o :lol:
giles117

Post by giles117 »

LOL. Good one :) touche'
DP 6.02
Euphonix MC Control

markrogers
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by markrogers »

Um, me. Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, hey everybody. You may hence forth refer to me as the HD192 using retard who bought before checking with MOTU. Oh well, I needed a break from this biz anyhow. ;) My 2 cents: There is no logical reason not to make any kind of statement at all unless they were thinking of going to FW interfaces exclusivley and want to check out all the feedback before they make a decision... which is silly...

Thanks all!
Mark
giles117

Post by giles117 »

markrogers wrote:

Um, me. Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, hey everybody. You may hence forth refer to me as the HD192 using retard who bought before checking with MOTU. Oh well, I needed a break from this biz anyhow. ;) My 2 cents: There is no logical reason not to make any kind of statement at all unless they were thinking of going to FW interfaces exclusivley and want to check out all the feedback before they make a decision... which is silly...

Thanks all!
Mark

Welll I have used a PCIe Mac. Yesterday. OK MOTU SPEAK UP!!!!!!!!
DP 6.02
Euphonix MC Control