Weird message I get when opening old projects.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Weird message I get when opening old projects.

Post by Jim »

I've been restoring a slew of old projects I did around 20 years ago on DP versions 2, 3, and 4 mostly. When I've opened about a dozen of them I get this screen. I've never had a video file by this name - and it's always the same movie file name, and I've only imported a video into DP on maybe two occasions, and none of these I've been restoring.

I just click "No" and proceed with my projects. I don't see it on subsequent opens of the same project. But, I may see it on opening one for the first time in decades.

BTW, James Steele, thanks for keeping this forum going for so long. Salute!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 2.24.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 2.24.35 PM.png (110.54 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Weird message I get when opening old projects.

Post by James Steele »

Jim wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:31 pm I've been restoring a slew of old projects I did around 20 years ago on DP versions 2, 3, and 4 mostly. When I've opened about a dozen of them I get this screen. I've never had a video file by this name - and it's always the same movie file name, and I've only imported a video into DP on maybe two occasions, and none of these I've been restoring.

I just click "No" and proceed with my projects. I don't see it on subsequent opens of the same project. But, I may see it on opening one for the first time in decades.

BTW, James Steele, thanks for keeping this forum going for so long. Salute!
Well first off, thanks for the kind words about the forum. I keep it going. I need to purge some of the older messages, but I need to do that carefully as they help people with older systems from time to time. With the popularity of Facebook, probably don't get as much traffic around here as I used to, hence Sweetwater pulled their advertising a while back, but it was never a money-making enterprise for me. Just to help out the community.

Your problem is a head-scratcher for sure. I mean, the only logical answer is that those projects once had a movie file associated with them. But that's not the case. What can you do, right? I guess just re-save or whatever to clear it out, shrug and move on. Sometimes I get an error message that I need to reassign a MIDI device when I open a project and I can't find any tracks targeting the MIDI device in the error message. I end up having to assign it to something else, just to get rid of the error on load.

Bottom line: weird. I know there's always supposed to be a reason for these things, but sometimes it's just not worth trying to figure out. This might be one of those times! :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Jim

Post by Jim »

I was wondering, since the same movie title keeps occurring whether it was a test file used by MOTU when they were assembling the code, and it's a vestige of a DP of yore, version 2, 3, or 4 that I was using when I made those original recordings. If anybody else got the same message with the same movie file title "FINN," that could confirm that thesis.

I only can recall using the Movie function once. I scored one scene of a friend's self-produced horror movie short. It was so long ago that I can't recall who the friend was. FINN is not a scary title, unless it's an acronym. I do remember the title, sort of: The Shadow and the Blade. Oooh, scary.

I hadn't even thought to look on Facebook for a DP group. I'm in touch with Shooshie and MIDI Life Crisis there, not for DP discussions, but for what's verboten here. I've not hovered around here too much, and generally check in when work is slow or I need help with a DP issue. You guys (and a few gals) have been a great help over the years. I was able to snag "Jim" as my member name, because I was pretty early to sign up.

Speaking of FB groups, I joined a moderated one for a VI I'd just bought, and it seemed that the mods were only interested in compliments. That's not very helpful. So, I bailed pretty quickly.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Jim wrote:…not for DP discussions, but for what's verboten here.
Well there are only two things forbidden here: religion and politics. That makes sense.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Somehow, a link or a marker was introduced— a template, perhaps or project from outside? Anyway, if dismissing it makes it gone, no reason to pursue.

If it was my system, I’d look to see if such a file exists by searching with Find Any File and the Option key held so that it searches the root as well. I am curious that way.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

James Steele wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:37 pmWell there are only two things forbidden here: religion and politics.
And angering Doris.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Regarding the movie message - I was getting that for a while, then it mysteriously went away.
Except the name was movie.movie.

Things that make you go hmm.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Phil O wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:51 pm Regarding the movie message - I was getting that for a while, then it mysteriously went away.
Except the name was movie.movie.
That lends one data point of credence to my garbage code thesis.