MOTU 16A Recurring Hardware Problem: Low Power Detected Rebooting

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
bbdude
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 16A Recurring Hardware Problem: Low Power Detected Rebooting

Post by bbdude »

I have a MOTU 16A, which I purchased and registered in April 2019. The firmware is current (1.4.0+90954). I am using this unit as a 16 channel AtoD and 16 channel DtoA standalone (no computer interface), connected by 2 ADAT Optical I/O to my RME UFX+. This has worked fine for over 3 years. Now it appears an internal power supply problem has developed in the 16A.

For the past several months the 16A has been getting intermittent hardware restarts (reboots ~ once per hour). The message displayed on the 16A LCD is:

Low Power Detected Rebooting

Each time this happens, all operation (AtoD, DtoA, ADAT) is interrupted, thus ruining any recording take currently in process.

Has anyone else here experienced this problem, know the cause, and know of a fix?
-- The bbdude --
Cakewalk DAW, Core i7 8700, Windows 10, RME UFX+ Audio I/F, RME Octamic XTC, MOTU 16A
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU 16A Recurring Hardware Problem: Low Power Detected Rebooting

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd get a tech link started over at MOTU.com
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

FWIW, mine began rebooting continuously (the “wave” pattern on the LCD going back and forth). There was a quiet ‘click’ that would occur during the process. This would happen every so often, then started happening more and more. Eventually it wouldn’t boot.

A trip to a repair shop revealed that a number of capacitors needed to be replaced. Once done, I have not had a problem since.

I had to take it to a repair shop as it was out of warranty and MOTU refused to service it. They actually passed on helping me with it at all. They essentially told me in my tech note that it was out of warranty and good luck.

I hope your experience is better. Good luck.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yep, seems a recap of the power supply section is a common theme here. These run so hot, so caps are gonna cook. I would like clarity in the change in MOTU’s service policy, it seems the last few years there just isn’t any out of warranty service.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

EMRR wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:23 am Yep, seems a recap of the power supply section is a common theme here. These run so hot, so caps are gonna cook. I would like clarity in the change in MOTU’s service policy, it seems the last few years there just isn’t any out of warranty service.
I believe that MOTU has clarified their current hardware warranty (USA only).

https://motu.com/de/techsupport/hardware-warranty/
MOTU LIMITED WARRANTY ON HARDWARE

Mark of the Unicorn, Inc. (“MOTU”) warrants this equipment against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of TWO (2) YEARS from the date of original retail purchase. The Warranty Term begins on the date of purchase from an authorized MOTU reseller and applies solely to the original retail purchaser, who must activate the warranty by creating a user account at motu.com to register the product within 90 days of purchase. This warranty applies only to hardware products; MOTU software is licensed and warranted pursuant to separate written statements.

(and so on…)

WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS: This warranty does not apply if the equipment has been damaged by accident, abuse, misuse, or misapplication; has been modified without the written permission of MOTU; or if the product serial number has been removed or defaced. The following examples, without limitation, are NOT covered by this hardware warranty:

Equipment purchased through any reseller not directly authorized by MOTU or its authorized international distributors.
“Used” equipment purchased from a third party.
Equipment purchased in another country.
Normal cosmetic and mechanical wear of the equipment.
Equipment damaged by improper installation or connections.
Equipment damaged in transit to/from MOTU for warranty repair.
Physically damaged equipment, including but not limited to:
Water damage
Cracks or dents
Missing or bent parts
Burns or other damage caused by faulty or failed electric power

(more legalese…)
The requirement to register within 90 days does not apply in some states including California.

Unfortunately, the $99 Refurb program that so many of us enjoyed appears to be gone. Apparantly, the shop that handled this for MOTU went under or was sold.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bbdude

Post by bbdude »

Thanks to you all for your responses. Just curious, question for nk_e or anyone else who has this particular problem repaired: Were the capacitors replaced in the power supply failed due to having inadequate voltage, temperature, or reliability ratings or was the failure due to some other underlying problem (eg poor thermal management in the circuit boards, chassis, and overall assembly)?
-- The bbdude --
Cakewalk DAW, Core i7 8700, Windows 10, RME UFX+ Audio I/F, RME Octamic XTC, MOTU 16A
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bbdude wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:49 pm Thanks to you all for your responses. Just curious, question for nk_e or anyone else who has this particular problem repaired: Were the capacitors replaced in the power supply failed due to having inadequate voltage, temperature, or reliability ratings or was the failure due to some other underlying problem (eg poor thermal management in the circuit boards, chassis, and overall assembly)?
Heat is the enemy. Poor thermal management is the likely cause. Some units appear to be more susceptible than others. Often, opening it up will reveal bulging capacitors and those are the likely culprits.

Unfortunately, MOTU does not publish schematics or parts lists so a tech has to open the unit up and see what's in there before recommending a high-temperature alternate. High temp caps are readily available from Mouser and other electronics suppliers.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bbdude

Post by bbdude »

Ok thanks Mike. In the meanwhile, I called MOTU Tech Support and got some good news: The repair is easy and can be performed by the customer (me). They sell a replacement Power Supply board for $29.95 + shipping. I ordered one and it's on the way.
-- The bbdude --
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bbdude wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:31 pm Ok thanks Mike. In the meanwhile, I called MOTU Tech Support and got some good news: The repair is easy and can be performed by the customer (me). They sell a replacement Power Supply board for $29.95 + shipping. I ordered one and it's on the way.
Wow! That is GREAT news! I wonder if this is a new policy, because as I recall I wasn't aware you could get parts or assemblies like that from MOTU. Perhaps it's in response to not having the exchange policy they used to have.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

bbdude wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:49 pm Thanks to you all for your responses. Just curious, question for nk_e or anyone else who has this particular problem repaired: Were the capacitors replaced in the power supply failed due to having inadequate voltage, temperature, or reliability ratings or was the failure due to some other underlying problem (eg poor thermal management in the circuit boards, chassis, and overall assembly)?
I'm sorry that I can't provide more detail...the tech told me that it looked like the unit "runs hot" as Mike put it. He suggested leaving a space on at least one if not both sides in the rack if possible to improve opportunity for heat dissipation.

Your solution sounds great! Congrats.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

$30 is a great deal. Not only that, you’ll have a PS board that can be rebuilt, perhaps even upgraded once you know what’s supposed to be on it. :woohoo:
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yes, $30 availability is amazing. The manuals on these AVB units say leave empty rack space above and below and they mean it. I had to run one at a live event for an hour with no space in a rack, and the heat was terrifying. Cap killer for sure.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have an 828es that has been great since I purchased it shortly after release. It resides in an open rack that is basically two rails on a stand, with a 1/2 space beneath (where resides my UA LA-610), so heat has not been an issue, but the news of power supply replacement availability has me thinking I’ll order one to keep on hand. $30 is cheap insurance!

EDIT: Heard back from Travis at MOTU... yes, power supplies for 828ES available (may well be identical to that used in the 16A) for $29.95 + shipping. I'm ordering one tomorrow.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

A quick call with MOTU and my emergency backup 828ES power supply is on its way via Fed Ex.
Total cost: $45 after $15 Shipping.
Value as insurance against failure of "Component most likely to take a dump": Priceless.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm certain that, the only reason my 828mkII still works is that I never used it as the sound card on any of my Macs. It was/is used only when tracking in my studio.

Most of my tracking is done in the churches where I work to take advantage of the quiet and acoustics. Over the years, I've favored stand alone recorders but have moved to interfaces connected to my laptop, a tricked out 2012 MBP that I've upgraded every way possible.