MK5 Dropout/Delay

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mr_woland
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MK5 Dropout/Delay

Post by mr_woland »

Hello,
I have a MK5 and a new 16" Macbook Pro with M1X processor.
I use last version of Ableton.

During my live set (I play guitar) sometimes the audio drops and I got a huge input latency. To solve this, I must stop the audio, re-select the MOTU in the Ableton audio preferences, and everything return back to normal... until the next random dropout/delay.
PCU power is always around 20%.

Anybody has suggestion what the cause may be? I'd like to sort this out before an upcoming tour this June...
Thanks a lot!
mr_woland

Re: MK5 Dropout/Delay

Post by mr_woland »

Hello,
I've made all test I could think of, and the problem still shows up randomly...
I really don't know what to do.
Somebody has any suggestions?
Thanks
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This is what MOTU has to say on the subject:
MOTU Virtual Instruments and Big Sur or Later

MachFive, Ethno Instrument, BPM, Electric Keys, and Symphonic Instrument (any version) are not yet compatible with macOS Big Sur or later.

As a workaround, the UVI Workstation instrument (free) can read the soundbank libraries from all of these products and can be installed on macOS Big Sur.

Visit the link below to download and install UVI Workstation:
https://www.uvi.net/uvi-workstation.html

After it's installed, move the soundbanks for MachFive, Ethno Instrument, BPM, Electric Keys or Symphonic Instrument to the following location on your computer:

Mac: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/UVISoundBanks
Win: C:/ProgramFiles/UVISoundBanks
Many of us have upgraded to UVI Falcon. If you email UVI, you will receive a crossgrade discount for MV3 owners. There are many threads on this subject.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mr_woland

Post by mr_woland »

Thanks... but I don't even use Virtual Instrument... I can't understand how it's related.

I have three problems, and sometimes they happens altogether:

1) Mic Preamps sometimes presents distortion and lower volume.
2) Internal routing go crazy and I have some channels spill into another channel
3) If I play over a backing track, for example, the backing track is fine but suddently my instrumets has like 1 second of latency... if I re-select the audio in the DAW or load again the MOTU preset configuration, everything go back to normal.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MOTU’s MachFive contains much code licensed from UVI. It is not compatible with your computer.

The UVI Player is free but does not contain a synth and certain other functionality. Falcon is a paid upgrade from UVI — if you email them, there’s a special price for M5 owners. It depends what you are doing as to which will be best.

https://www.uvi.net/falcon.html
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here's a link to the free UVI Workstation. It can also be downloaded from within your MOTU account but this is more convenient.
https://www.uvi.net/en/instruments/uvi-workstation.html
A number of MV3 owners are finding that Workstation does what they need with older files. Your included VIs were from UVI so those will still work. Again many threads on this—no reason for everyone to re-post what they have already.

Since you own MachFive, you should already have a UVI account — you should have created it to get the iLok codes that enabled those two extra DVDs of plug-ins. If not, create another.

UVI will encourage you to download their free UVI Portal. This will keep track of any licenses and updates as released (but not MachV).
https://www.uvi.net/en/uvi-portal.html

If Workstation doesn't do it for you and you do the Falcon upgrade, it does include the $100 voucher. Again, email them first for the discount. You do not want to pay full price.
mr_woland

Post by mr_woland »

Sorry, but I use Ableton and I don't need soundbanks or synths.
Why should I need a UVI workstation?

Also, the problem is one of the preamp go crazy randomly... even if it's disconnected to the computer...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mr_woland wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:42 am Sorry, but I use Ableton and I don't need soundbanks or synths.
Why should I need a UVI workstation?

Also, the problem is one of the preamp go crazy randomly... even if it's disconnected to the computer...
I’ll use big words.

MachFive is not compatible with your computer. There is no workaround.

It’s a UVI product licensed to and developed by MOTU. There has been no development or updates since 2014. Because of licensing decisions announced years ago, it will never be updated further. There is nothing that you, I or anyone else can do about it.

You have three choices: 1) Stop using it. 2) Try opening your files in the free UVI Workstation 3) Upgrade to Falcon

Ableton has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Again if you need help with (2) or (3), there are threads on this. If not, you are left with (1).

This board is not affiliated with MOTU. We are users helping other users and often have information you’ll never find anywhere else including MOTU.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mike, I don't think he's using MachFive. I think the MK5 in the subject line refers to his interface.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:56 am Mike, I don't think he's using MachFive. I think the MK5 in the subject line refers to his interface.
Ha! You may be right. I am not a mind reader and he never clarified.

If the OP is using an Ultralite Mk5, read this thread. Scroll to the end.

viewtopic.php?t=68762

Still having problems? Submit a TechLink with MOTU Support within your registered User Account.
chrisdm1978

Post by chrisdm1978 »

This user is likely talking about the Utlralite MK5, and I'm having the same issue and dealing with MOTU. Same computer. I'm a guitar player. Same distorted dropouts, then random latency. I get none of these issues with my Clarett plus 8pre. I spend a ton of time trouble shooting this issue. Different cables, with dock, without dock, on power, on battery power, it's definitely a driver/hardware issue. I get this problem on none of my other interfaces. Only the Ultralite Mk5. They send me a 2nd unit, it's worst than the first. The 1st unit only had the odd bitt crushed distortion sound randomly, but this 2nd unit does exactly what this user is referring to. I'm not really impressed with this interface despite it's impressive specs on paper. It had everything I wanted in an interface, and I intended to use the focsrite as an adat add on. But now thinking to get a refund and simply add an clarett plus octo pre to my 8pre. At least they are stable..even though I lose the DSP for cue, foldback etc. I actually had to get the first unit used because of no stock anywhere, one popped up on Reverb, and I jumped on it. MOTU were good about it and sent the replacement. But the problems are on going. I didn't get issues with the first unit on my old Mac Pro 5,1 on Mojave. I honestly think it's driver issue with apple silicon Macs. But this second unit just loosing sync altogether does not bode well. I guess we'll see what MOTU says. Sure wasted a lot of time trouble shooting this...
16 inch MacBook Pro, M3 Max, 64GB, 4TB.

http://www.chrismcintyre.ca
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:01 pm Ha! You may be right. I am not a mind reader and he never clarified.
The main clue is that he never mentioned MachFive. He clarified by saying he does not use any VIs.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mr_woland

Post by mr_woland »

Hi,
Sorry, I'm referring to MOTU MK5, I thought it was clear since I posted under MOTU Hardware and I never saw MachFive software being called MK5.
Anyway, I'm glad we solved this misunderstanding and thank you mikehalloran for trying to help me.

I'm less happy about discovering I'm not the only one having problems with the Ultralite MK5.
My whole concert depends on the audio interface, and right now it's like having 50% of chance that something will go wrong... and if it does, there's no way of faking it: I just have to stop playing and try to solve the issue, live on stage!

I had to buy a RME interface, hoping it will arrive before July, when I'll have a very important gig in Oakland... in the meantime I wonder if there is an hard reset? Because I'm pretty sure it's a software problem. I don't think it will magically fix it, but maybe it's worth a try.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Once again, not enough information.

Now that we’ve established that it’s an UltraLite-mk5, we need to know the following:

What is your MacOS?

Are you using the MOTU driver or Core Audio? It runs over either but the driver adds functionality.
Driver Supports
MOTU Gen 5 Installer
Mac v89383 | Aug. 31, 2021
macOS 12, macOS 11, macOS 10.15, macOS 10.14, macOS 10.13
Have you updated to the latest firmware from 5 weeks ago? This, BTW, is the most likely culprit.
Firmware Supports
UltraLite-mk5 Firmware
1.1.6+2143 | May 6, 2022
For all supported platforms
Ableton still has nothing to do with this other than the User Guide will help you set it up and determine whether or not you should install the driver. It and the above can be downloaded from
https://motu.com/en-us/download/

Had you told us what you had, I could have written the above on May 7, the day after the new firmware was released.
mr_woland

Post by mr_woland »

Hello,
I run MacOs 12.4 on a 16" MacBook Pro with M1 Max.
Driver Version: 2.0.0+89383
Firmware version: 1.1.6+2143:18