MidiXpress XT (USB) & 828mkII (FW) issues on cMP 5,1 (10.15.7: 19H1824)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
baron von fancypants
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MidiXpress XT (USB) & 828mkII (FW) issues on cMP 5,1 (10.15.7: 19H1824)

Post by baron von fancypants »

Hi everybody.

I’m setting up my studio about a year after an OS upgrade to Catalina (10.15.7: 19H1824- dosdude1 patched) on my cMP 5,1. I haven't had an opportunity to sequence in years and am having difficulty configuring the set-up now in Catalina. From what I remember, it worked fine in Mojave (which I incidentally have as both a VM under Parallels, and also a separate APFS SATA SSD boot disk).
I’m connecting the mkII with a FW 400 to FW 800 adapter, and am having difficulty getting an audio signal.
More frustratingly, my MidiXpress XT USB is either not sending/receiving MIDI, or when it does, the latency/lag is very high. More than half the notes are being dropped. I'm pretty sure that I flashed it to the 3.1.0 firmware in Mojave. I can't remember if I read this somewhere, or if I'm imagining it, but I vaguely remember some advice that stated the MidiExpress XT should be plugged into the first USB slot on the original Apple USB bus/card. Does that sound right?
Are those interfaces just not compatible with Catalina? I noticed that there is no software download for 10.15 (it goes from 10.14 to 11+).

Set-up:
cMP 5,1 (mid 2010) OS 10.15.7 (19H1824)
Boot disk: 1TB APFS SSD on PCIe bus
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
MidiExpress XT (USB)- Serial MXT1......
828mkII (FW)

Thanks in advance for the info.

*Edit: Unplugged all cables to the back of the MidiExpress XT and plugged everything back in. Reinstalled the MIDI driver (MOTU MIDI Installer 1.6 (82544)) and Discovery does not see the XT (tried every USB port).