Routing Audio 828ES M1 Mini

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
DAWdler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Routing Audio 828ES M1 Mini

Post by DAWdler »

Hello all,
I thought I would try running DP on a M1 Mini with a 828ES. I am failing miserably. I'm trying AVB though ethernet. I can access the 828 though Pro Audio and route the signal from analog inputs to computer inputs, I see signal on the 828 screen but no audio in DP. DP shows the 828 in setup and Bundles, but nothing in Audio Monitor or Meter Bridge. I'm set to the 828 in Sound Preference Pane. I'm baffled. Probably something either ridiculously simple or a Big Sur incompatibility. But if anyone has gotten similar setup working, let me in on the process please.
Mac Studio Ultra, 828ES
Semi-retired Mac Pro
MacOS 12 DP11
Bunch of noise making things
HCMarkus

Re: Routing Audio 828ES M1 Mini

Post by HCMarkus »

DP isn't Big Sur ready, (or is it?) Welcome to the bleeding edge!

You will undoubtedly love your M1 Mac someday but there may be a few days of frustration between now and then. (I will surely be getting one once we are further into the transition to Apple Silicon.)
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
PhireAlly

Post by PhireAlly »

DAWdler wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:38 pm Hello all,
I thought I would try running DP on a M1 Mini with a 828ES. I am failing miserably. I'm trying AVB though ethernet. I can access the 828 though Pro Audio and route the signal from analog inputs to computer inputs, I see signal on the 828 screen but no audio in DP. DP shows the 828 in setup and Bundles, but nothing in Audio Monitor or Meter Bridge. I'm set to the 828 in Sound Preference Pane. I'm baffled. Probably something either ridiculously simple or a Big Sur incompatibility. But if anyone has gotten similar setup working, let me in on the process please.
Hey DAWdler,
I've gotten DP9.52 to work, along with my MOTU 1248 via AVB on my M1 MacMini.
My connection is simple .... CAT 6 Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port on the Mac Mini to the Ethernet port on the MOTU 1248 ... done !!

No USB or Thunderbolt cables connected.

I had to sort out some clocking issues but after a night of troubleshooting... it turned out that Studio One v5 was sensitive to buffer sizes over 1024 on the AVB stream but DP 9.52 and Logic Pro didn't exhibit any such issue.

I'll link a YouTube video below from a gentleman that did some videos on AVB for Presonus, It helped me a lot.
I also read the MOTU 1248 user manual, also helpful.

Few things to note...
(1) Do NOT check your 828ES radio button in the Audio MIDI Setup > Network Device Browser window.
It's going to create another "entity" that will cause problems.

(2) In Network Prefereces, select Ethernet then choose Advance (Lower right corner)
Goto the Hardware tab and change the "Configure" dropdown from Automatically to Manually.
This prevents another "entity" from being created.

(3) Locate the Apple "AVB Audio Configuration App" and drag it to your dock.

It's can be found here ...
Macintosh HD > System > Library > Core Services > AVB Audio Configuration app.
This is the app that the Presonus Universal Control and the Terminal command from the video below will launch.

A few more things to note ...
(1) MOTU AVB Audio Interfaces only support 8 channel streams.
(2) Media clock Input stream is not necessary for MOTU AVB Audio Interfaces. Leave it at its default setting.
(3) Choose (IEC-61883-6 AMB-24 48kHz 8 data blocks non-blocking 8 MBLA) ... for all your input and output Stream Formats.

Follow the video and you should be ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Rkl7Th_1g

Hope this helps,
PhireAlly
MacMini M1, 8-Core @ 3.2GHz, 16GB Ram, MacOS 12.6.5 (Monterey)
MOTU 1248 - MOTU 16A - (2) MOTU 8A - Arturia AudioFuse - Antelope ZenGO
Studio One Pro 6 - Logic Pro 10 - Nuendo 12 - MOTU DP 11

Acustica - Antares - Apogee - Arturia - Blue Cat - Boz Digital - Celemony - Dolby - Eventide - FabFilter - Flux
HorNet - IK - iZotope - Kazrog - McDSP - Melda - Nomad Factory
Plugin-Alliance - Softube - Soundtoys - Tokyo Dawn - UAD-2_TB2 & PCIe
Valhalla - Waves v14
DAWdler

Post by DAWdler »

Thanks for that! I won’t have a chance to look at my setup until the weekend, but it appears I missed something in setting up AVB. DP10 inputs show an 828 but it doesn’t seem to correspond to the 828 in the Pro Audio app. I’m guessing I have the “another “entity”” problem.
Mac Studio Ultra, 828ES
Semi-retired Mac Pro
MacOS 12 DP11
Bunch of noise making things