patch deconstruction

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

ElektrikZen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

patch deconstruction

Post by ElektrikZen »

OK - I have had mx4 since it was oput but haven't gotten into it that much for many reasons.....I created a few nice patches but lost them in the save. I also created some nice patches but when tweaking lost the beauty and ended up with •••• - there seems to be no undo or multiple level undo? is that possible in MX or maybe add to the next version. Lastly....How do you deconstruct patches. I hold the cursor over a certain parameter and it contains minimal information - yet I know that there has to be a lot of stuff going on to create somne of the patches. the lcd window may only say lfo2, etc. but how do I get more of the info re: the specific patch.....sorry question so vague - probably should have formulated it better when I had it running a while ago.

I create more unique and wild stuff in aby than I do in MX4 and I realize mx4 and Aby are two different demons or beasts - but MX4 should be easier for a number of stuff and I just cannot feel at home with this thing; and YES I really like the potential I see - but just frustrated at the reality of what I can get out of it.... I have been doing ths thing since the 1970...so I am not an absolute neophyte..... any help from the head patch creator of MX.

you can contact me through my website www.elektrikzen.com

I'd love to get a serious correspondence going with you. Magic Dave has helped me greatly in DP.

thank you magic mystery MX Man! in advance!

ElektrikZen
stretta
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stretta »

The audio path of MX4 is, for the most part, fixed. There is a signal flow diagram on the random pane for reference. All the controls on the front panel work like their counterparts on a hardware synth, so that much is self-evident. Therefore, understanding MX4 means understanding the modulation system.

If you wish to deconstruct a patch, you need to determine what sources are modulating what destinations. There are a couple ways to do this. If you're curious what modulators are assigned to a specific parameter, like the filter cutoff, simply hover your mouse over the filter cutoff. The modulators assigned to that destination 'light up'. Select a 'lit' modulator and the range (and inversion) assigned is displayed directly on the parameter(s) it modulates.

You can also do this from the modulator's perspective. If you want to see what destinations are assigned to a particular modulator, control-click a modulator and you will see a list of the parameter(s) that the modulator is assigned to.

This is all fairly abstract, so I suggest you pick a preset that you're curious about and we'll break it down together.
ElektrikZen

Post by ElektrikZen »

Ok - Thanks- I knew things were fuzzier than in absynth.....Hmmmmm....any chance we can get an email thing happening ---and NO - I won't inundadte you with a ton of emails - just a lot more personal and useful than a forum.

added: what do you mean by random pane???? please????? sorry - dumb question
RCory

Post by RCory »

Actually, I'm interested in this too, so if you don't mind, keep the conversation here.. I'd like to read it.

C
ElektrikZen

Post by ElektrikZen »

stretta - on 2nd thought since you are not that interested in developing a conversation - I will figure this stuff out the best I can myself - thank you anyway!

sorry I bugged you!
stretta

Post by stretta »

Sorry - I'm here but I can only check the board perhaps once a day. I'm not ignoring you and you're not bugging me.

The random pane is the window that comes up when you click the random tab at the top of the window.

I'm here to help, but I'd also like to keep the conversation public so everyone can benefit.

Have you picked out a preset for us to deconstruct together?