There’s an effing manual or How to Play Wind Instruments

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

There’s an effing manual or How to Play Wind Instruments

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I blocked a user today after following his posts for a few weeks. Most of the answers he is seeking are easily found in the manual. Most of his other questions are related to his workflow “issues” that are clearly obstacles a of his own making.

I’m always happy to help with obscure and difficult to grasp DP/MOTU issues. I have zero tolerance for laziness and baby sitting, especially when the answers are easily found by searching the pdf manual.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Re: There’s an effing manual

Post by Phil O »

MLC, I certainly understand your frustration, but I must admit that sometimes I just can't find what I need in the effing manual. Most of the time it's because I'm searching for the wrong effing term. Perhaps I'm having a tempo related problem and I never thought to look under Conductor Track. You get the idea. I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to give whoever the eff it was the benefit of the doubt.

Sometimes if I think a poster is just being lazy, I'll simply say, "Search Conductor Track in the manual." Or sometimes I'll just ignore the effing post! :roll:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I guess I should have read some of your other post first. Now I know who you are talking about. Mmm, lots of very, very basic questions. Best to just not respond, I guess. Or maybe politely suggest an investment of time reading the manual. In this case, a large investment of time. :?
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

I get all that Phil. It appears that it’s easier to ask here in some instances, which I equate to laziness or perhaps a need for attention. Start and Stop commands are so basic and easily found. That was the last straw for me. As you might have noticed, most of my posts are responses to answer questions- even simple ones. When a pattern of laziness emerges I call it out. In “the old days” I would suspect a pirate. There’s no excuse for not learning by simply hitting the search feature of a pdf. How much easier does it need to be? I’ll waste no time on such folks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, I hear ya, Mike. I read a post yesterday by someone else that was WAY too basic for anyone attempting to record music - on any device or with any software. I thought, this guy will never learn to use DP. It's doubtful that he'll ever learn how to plug in a microphone. I know that sounds cold, but his questions just rubbed me the wrong way. And, it sounded like this was his first stop, not doing any research at all on basic recording and blaming DP for being so difficult. So, I hear ya.

Phil
MIDI Life Crisis

Even in a situation like that, Phil, I’ll try to direct a member to resource. It’s the teacher in me. Bit that same teacher has seen students who always try to get others to do the leg work for them. That just doesn’t fly with me.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I disagree with blocking someone for asking lots of basic questions.

Sometimes those threads start out basic, and end up with some useful bits being discussed.

In the case of recent posts, the conversation could be redirected to the resources that are available (manual, tutorial vids, MotuNation threads, etc.).

You can assume it is laziness, but that might just be your own biases. It could be inexperience, youth, language differences, learning differences, a kind of "fussiness" about how software should work, and perhaps an assumption that the manual won't be helpful (even though, MOTU does have some excellent documentation). Unfortunately, even the best documentation can't predict what people will search for in their quest for answers.

As Phil O suggests, it might be better to just ignore those posts if they get on your nerve.

I read the subject, and if I have something of value to offer, I do. I'm not worried about "enabling" some "learned helplessness". I just know that I have had to ask questions in contexts that are not my area of expertise and always appreciate patient guidance.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Well... Many times, I've been asked for help from people, not very involved in things they are asking about.
In such cases, my behaviour turns around asking them to do a simple, but effective, task.
9 of 10, I never hear from them anymore.
With the 1 who really does the simple task, I'll spend some reasonable time, though.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

daniel.sneed wrote: 9 of 10, I never hear from them anymore.
This is what taxes my patience, as it wastes everyone's time.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Sometimes, (though I admit it might be rare), the advice given to person A, might be read by persons X, Y, and Z who stumble upon the forum in a search for answers.

When they see people being treated dismissively, they might decide this forum is not friendly to noobs. It IS, but they'll only see one thread out of context.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

We can’t fix myopia.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:Sometimes, (though I admit it might be rare), the advice given to person A, might be read by persons X, Y, and Z who stumble upon the forum in a search for answers.
This is certainly true and has been for a while every since I allowed this forum to be readable by non-members and to be crawled by Google.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think I know who you're talking about. Threads like:

"how do I do X"?
"Press the X button".
"Do I press the X button?"
"Yes"
"Does that do X?"

I agree. Let him/her spend a little time with the manual.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Or at least the COMMANDS window. So much great stuff there.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS