MOTU Symphonic Instrument

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Symphonic Instrument

Post by Shooshie »

MOTU's SI is on its way. Got a call from our forum friend here, Brad Lyons from Sweetwater, saying it had been shipped and should be on my front porch on Friday.

Of course, I can't install it for some time after that, when I finish the current project I'm working on, and reinstall my system with a new configuration for my hard drives. But it will at least burn a hole in my shoe to make me finish and get it all done!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
maintiger

Re: MOTU Symphonic Instrument

Post by maintiger »

all right shoosh! :D
Xavier Calvera
DP 6 dual G5 2.0- 828mkii-
apogee rosetta - Mach Five, Atmosphere, Stylus, Garritan, Soundtrack,
more soft synths...
check out my latest DP project at www.theorishasarecoming.com more on www.lordtiger.com
Dragonwind

Post by Dragonwind »

I will be very interested to know how it turns out.
Thanks
Chris
https://www.christophercaouette.com
dp11, LP, C12, Nuendo 11, OS 12 latest version, MacPro 6,1 12 Core, 64gb RAM
beldenmusic

Post by beldenmusic »

received mine today..loaded it..playing with it in Logic 7.1 (passed AU validation no problem) and so far....

EXCELLENT

the brass sounds really stand out, but I've just scratched the surface. I will say that it is quite easy to use as well.
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

I'm curious... does this have a dongle?

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It arrived today, along with Mach Five and Ivory. Yes, it does have a dongle. So does Mach Five, which I guess is no surprise. My understanding is that the dongles can be combined. Now... I just need a USB port.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bsantoro

Post by bsantoro »

I read somewhere that the iLok dongle, once booted-up, can be removed to continue using your host program; thus freeing-up the USB port. I tried this with MX4, and it worked. After launching GarageBand or Digital Performer, I removed the iLok dongle, and it kept right on performing without it.

I am thinking of adding MOTU Symphonic Instrument which also has an iLok dongle. Mybe this would help with limited USB ports?

bsantoro

http://homepage.mac.com/bob_santoro/my_music.html
MacBook Pro 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM- Yamaha Motif7- MOTU 828 - Motu MIDI XpressXT - MOTU Digital Performer7.23 - Ableton Live8 - MX4 - Symphonic Instrument - Roland GR-55 - Godin xtSA MIDI Guitar

http://web.mac.com/bob_santoro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
buddhabelly
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by buddhabelly »

Originally posted by Shooshie:
It arrived today, along with Mach Five and Ivory. Yes, it does have a dongle. So does Mach Five, which I guess is no surprise. My understanding is that the dongles can be combined. Now... I just need a USB port.

Shooshie
The promise of the iLok is just that usage, it holds auths for all your software. Is it a huge ugly green thing? I got that with the mbox, though I didn't keep it more than 2 days.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm confused: you didn't keep the dongle for more than two days, or you didn't keep the mbox for more than two days?

My copy of Symphonic Instrument should arrive on Saturday. I was blown away by the demos that got posted this week, and am really looking forward to this "instrument". In fact, I have put my Roland Digital Harpsichord up for sale as I feel the key-off modeling and dual-manual support/etc. have negated the need for a space-hogging box (though I do like the feel of the keybed action).

I have been posting on this topic in the Mach Five forum instead of here, as it doesn't have its own forum and as it seems more closely related to Mach Five. I sure am hoping my iMac will be up to the task of tracking a Symphonic Instrument or two!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Originally posted by Shooshie:

Shooshie
That's right you can combine multiple auth files on 1 iLok.
I have Mach5, Mx4, and the latest Pluggo authorizations on one ilok. However, you have to have 2 iloks to make this possible if you are taking M5 and Mx4 or Symphonic Instruments and putting them on one ilok. Both iloks need to be connected to your cpu, and the info is swapped from one to the other.
The procedure can be done here.
https://www.ilok.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/iLokManager
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Correct, you can transfer authorizations to a single iLok if you wish. I have an iLok with dozens of plugins on it, I will be transferring my MachFive and Symhonic Instruments iLok to this same iLok as well. Symphonic Instruments isn't the best library out there for sure, but I gotta say for the under $300 street-price...it's a no-brainer to have IMHO. The sounds indeed are excellent!
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
buddhabelly

Post by buddhabelly »

Originally posted by Mark Schmieder:
I'm confused: you didn't keep the dongle for more than two days, or you didn't keep the mbox for more than two days?
I only kept the mbox for 2 days. Nasty piece of hardware, IMHO.

Nobody answered though: Is the iLok dongle for MOTUs instruments a huge key? The iLok that came with the mbox was so big I couldn't put another usb device on the next port.

The dongle for Logic is an acceptable size, no bigger than a thumbdrive.
Splinter

Post by Splinter »

More reports! More reports! I'm eager to hear what people are experiencing with the MSI. Is is really all it seems cracked up to be? I'm sure it won't replace the real deal, but is it an effective tool for creating a nice pallette of orchestral sounds that will work in a track or even be convincing to an untrained ear? What are some of the highlights of the VI what does it seem to be best at?
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
spirit

Post by spirit »

Buddha- there appears to be only one size ilock, unless you consider the M box itself to be an oversized ilock to allow one to use PT software. Usually USB cables and other ilocks can be plugged in next to it, A USB hub for $20-$30 should achieve that if it isn't otherwise physically possible (a powered hub is generally recomended).

As people play with "Symphonic":

any comparisons to say
Garritan personal orchestra?
East West Orchestra silver or Gold?
etc.?
qo

Post by qo »

Originally posted by buddhabelly:
Nobody answered though: Is the iLok dongle for MOTUs instruments a huge key? The iLok that came with the mbox was so big I couldn't put another usb device on the next port.

The dongle for Logic is an acceptable size, no bigger than a thumbdrive.
Yes, compared to the XSKey the iLok is huge. It has an LED though, whee!

The iLok is certainly convenient and makes moving between computers, or changing hard drives a breeze. I've currently got Mach5 and Waves IR-1 on the same iLok.

But what if the iLok is lost/damaged? It looks like the only way to recover from this is to fork over $30USD per year to the folks at iLok.com for their "Zero Downtime Coverage." Has anyone done this? I've not, but I'm thinking this is probably worth it. A scam, yes. Sometimes you just bend over and take it... :roll:

<small>[ August 06, 2005, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: qo ]</small>