Well???? is it worth buying? and were is best price in t

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

midiw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Well???? is it worth buying? and were is best price in t

Post by midiw »

What to do:

GSO

or

MSI

???

The price is just about right for my budget.

Incidently, I am having some problems with getting Firefox to load MOTU web site: it's either bad JAVA at the web page or my TIGER/Firefox is too timid. The page takes for ages which is not normal for my computer.

<small>[ August 17, 2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: midiw ]</small>
Mac OS: Mojave
Arpeggio
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Well???? is it worth buying? and were is best price in t

Post by Arpeggio »

Definitely, definitely, definitely buy MSI. It's amazing. I am completely blown away.

<small>[ August 17, 2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Arpeggio ]</small>
midiw

Post by midiw »

Originally posted by Arpeggio:
Definitely, definitely, definitely buy MSI. It's amazing. I am completely blown away.
OK.

Is it MAS, AU, VST ?

How much hard drive space does it eat ?
Arpeggio

Post by Arpeggio »

It is MAS, VST, RTAS, DXi, and AU. It takes up approximately 8GB of hard drive space.

As for where to get it at the best price, I got it from Sweetwater (www.sweetwater.com), which has free shipping and no tax (for me), so it cost slightly less than $280 total.
midiw

Post by midiw »

Originally posted by Arpeggio:

As for where to get it at the best price, I got it from Sweetwater (www.sweetwater.com),

That's odd since I got a phone call this AM from my guy at Sweetwater and in the course of our conversation asked if I was interested in purchasing MSI. Apparrently Sweetwater had an inhouse demo from a MOTU guy not to long ago.
stonzthro

Post by stonzthro »

I've got both EWQLSO Gold and MSI. I purchased MSI for the historic instruments and the recorders (as odd as this sounds) are really top notch. If you can only buy 1 library, get the EW - it is far better and much more realistic. The SI does have a few things to it's credit (playable historic instruments and the ablilty to adjust your room verb), but by far it will take more work to get a realistic orchestral sound. Is it worth the $280 +/-? It is for the recorders.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I bought it for the historic instruments; that's why I find all this comaprison to $3000 string libraries rather academic and irrelevant.

Even at $500, the current discount on "Gold" is twice the price of MSI. Unless "Gold" is good enough to make a difference in getting taken seriously (a common running theme in these threads), I don't see the point.

At the price point, I hardly see how anything out there can be said to beat the MSI. And there's a lot at that price point, so I think that needs to be considered. Not everyone is a pro or intends to become one. But MSI will certainly improve the palette for less critical work such as strings on a pop record, etc.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH