Best Orch sample lib for M5?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Hiro
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best Orch sample lib for M5?

Post by Hiro »

Something I wanted to ask for a while.
Any recommendation for Orch sample lib which goes into M5 without me pulling my hair and/or braking my bank? Orch sequencing is not my bread n butter gigs.

I have been doing Orch sequencing with two of K2600Rs which contains nothing but propriety Orch sounds. I already gave up on transferring these samples into M5 (long story).

Thanks for any suggestion.
davedempsey

Re: Best Orch sample lib for M5?

Post by davedempsey »

I've had M5 since it was released and would love to have a good orchestra in that format. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one and I'll be buying EWQLSO Platinum next week.
I'm already using Bardstown Bosendorfer in Kontakt, althought Kip has told me he'll most likely release an M5 version once M5 is ready - he tells me it needs an update before it'll handle such large libraries.
M5 is my favorite sample player - I just wish I could get more great libraries - the trend now is, obviously, dedicated players with the samples.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
RCory

Post by RCory »

I'd REALLY love an orch library for Mach5 too...I guess the best way is to email the companies..Maybe if the get enough of them, they might make it.

It's a little discouraging...
dquave
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dquave »

If you are looking for Orchestral sounds you simply have to take a look at the Garritan personal orchestra program.I know its not Mach 5 compatible but it is an incredible program that offers so much more to work with.There is a major "free" update coming out on Monday on the native instruments website.
For the cost of a sample CD rom,you really would be better off spending a little more($249.00) and again getting so very much more for your money.
This is not an advertisement for GPO , just a really strong recommendation from a user.And I also use Mach 5.

<small>[ October 17, 2004, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: jaredq ]</small>
altoidboy

Post by altoidboy »

i got both garritan personal orch and the east-west quantum leap silver. there is NO comparison between the two -- the ewqlso library is heads and tails better. the garritan sounds like a cheesy synth module from 15 years ago.

i respect gary's expertise and his qualifications, but gpo is a HUGE disappointment.
altoidboy

Post by altoidboy »

going back to the topic (an orch library for m5) - neither gpo nor ewqlso qualifies since they're not released in any m5-compatible format.

i don't know a lot of other libraries. you could always go for vsl and get the exs version and import it into m5. that would be one of the best but still very expensive.
RCory

Post by RCory »

VSL would be nice, but aren't there a lot of real-time performance issues that don't translate to the Mach5 (ie key switching) ? I'd hate to spend that kind of money and find out I have to tweak a lot and then still not have it be right...
Chris Walcott

Post by Chris Walcott »

I wonder how much longer it's going to take for the sample players to start releasing on M5. How long has it been out?

I'm also waiting with bated breath for chicken sys to get around to shipping a proper translator for it.
- chris walcott
- Fake Science
musicarteca

Post by musicarteca »

Originally posted by RCory:
VSL would be nice, but aren't there a lot of real-time performance issues that don't translate to the Mach5 (ie key switching) ? I'd hate to spend that kind of money and find out I have to tweak a lot and then still not have it be right...
In theory you could import the sounds from the EXS or Giga formats, but as far as I know, tools like the Performance Set, that gives you wide flexibility as far as articulations are concerned, will not work on M5.
Alex Rodriguez
Legato Productions
www.legatoproductions.com
dhearn2@mchsi.com

Post by dhearn2@mchsi.com »

Originally posted by A-NO-NE Music:

Any recommendation for Orch sample lib which goes into M5 without me pulling my hair and/or braking my bank? Orch sequencing is not my bread n butter gigs.[/QB]
Brollyman has been working hard on getting the VSL working in Mach Five. However, it appears that it is possible, but the workaraounds and setup aren't really worth it. He still has to use GPO for composing, and then dump the MIDI results into several instances of VSL, each one representing a different orchestra section. Hardly ideal. I'm going to look at EWQSO Silver foir this purpose.

HTH....

Dave
Dave Hearn

Mac Studio, 64g RAM, DP 11.22, 1248 three dozen soft synths, etc.
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

I've been doing orchestrations for about 28 years now, both with MIDI/synths and "live" players, and I'm glad to have as many tools available as I can. Synths have included the Emu Family, Roland JV1080/XV5080 and some Korg products. At the last winter NAMM show I listened carefully to Vienna SL (top-of-the-heap; but need Logic/EXS24?), EASTWEST QLSL (really good; Kontact), and Garritan (well...better than original Ensoniq); and found you pretty much "get what you pay for". Always fustrating to to try to find the best sound/value combination that is compatible with DigitalPerformer. I'm trying to break into the softsynth thing, SampleTank 2, etc. Like Hiro, I'd like to utilize Mach Five for this.
RCory

Post by RCory »

I just got this back from Ilio about VSL for Mach5

"I understand! I'm so sorry it isn''t available....we have many people asking
about Mach 5, but, unfortunately, that format is more difficult and complex
to program for. The Vienna Symphonic Library staf of engineers and
developers is aware of the situation and trying to reach a solution - please
keep checking the website for updates."

So, everyone interested in VSL for Mach5, email them!!!
Nightbeat

Post by Nightbeat »

I have been using the VSL Orchestral Cube and a couple from the Horizon Series with MachFive for a few months now. The Orchestral Cube is available separately from the Performance Set which is the part that requires the Performance Tool.

I converted the GIGA version of the library using UVIX and have been very happy indeed with the quality and usability of the presets and samples. Many of the functions of the Performance Tool, e.g. up-bow/down-bow alternation, can be programmed manually. Conversion from GIGA seems to be fine, even with keyswitching, etc., and you can always alter the presets. The only thing I miss is the Legato Tool, though I can produce pretty good results in most cases without it, with the possible exception of the solo strings.

Admittedly the East-West library is tempting, but as a long-term investment (and a M5/DP performnace tool is inevitable I think) the VSL library which will continue to expand wins hands down.
RCory

Post by RCory »

Has anyone tried the Horizon Series with Mach5? Namely the French Oboe?
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

I own the full professional edition of the VSL Symphonic Library for GigaStudio and swear by it, it's amazing! I have tried converting various Giga samples into MachFive with various results. Some libraries went perfectly, some did not. I will say that having been doing conversion for years in hardware, MachFive is the best I've seen. But VSL hasn't worked as well for me the reason being that it is very in-depth and has many layers. What I've been recommending for DP4.5 users that are not also using PC-based GigaStudio systems is the East/West edition which is on its own player.

With that said if you're just looking for something decent without spending a lot of money, check out the Gary Garritan Personal Orchestra....VERY affordable, wide range of good sounds, and again runs on its own plugin thus freeing up MachFive for other samples. I would really like to see native support of VSL for MachFive, that would be killer.

<small>[ October 27, 2004, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Brad Lyons ]</small>
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS