External FW HD failed. How to connect to computer.

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

External FW HD failed. How to connect to computer.

Post by wonder »

I have a LaCie Porsche external 400 FW HD that isn't working. I suspect it's the FW connection so I took it out of the enclosure.

Is there a way to connect it to my iMac again via purchased USB or FW connectors?

The model of the HD is SP1644N.
Photo attached.

Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
bayswater

Re: External FW HD failed. How to connect to computer.

Post by bayswater »

You can get a set of generic cables that connect most types of drives to a USB port. They usually have a power supply as well, and are used at electronic and computer repair shops. They're about $25 and come in handy for things like this. I got mine at a local used Apple seller and repair shop.

Alternative: get a cheap IDE (the pic looks like an IDE) USB enclosure at a similar place. The disadvantage is that it will only work for an IDE drive.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wonder

Post by wonder »

I'll do an online search.

I just found out a buddy had the connectors I can borrow.

Thanks for the info!
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If it doesn't work, post again because if the drive spins and works, you can hook it up via USB 2. Those SATA / IDE universal adapters will do the job.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wonder

Post by wonder »

Will do.

When enclosed, the drive turned on but never mounted.
A week or so ago it kept dismounting from my iMac for no reason. That's why I'm suspecting faulty FW connections.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Just grab a SATA/FW enclosure for about $20. That's all the Lacie is, anyway. I never buy external drives anymore, because they're usually a waste of money. Just grab a WD or Seagate drive of your choice and specs, then stick it in a generic enclosure. LaCie makes a big deal about the extended safety of their devices because of the internal fans (which are loud. NEWSASH: internal drives don't have fans and they're trapped inside a smoking hot box. Plus, a lot of companies have been switching to laptop HDs because they can sell them as being small and portable, which is okay for some things I guess, but they're usually only 5200rpm and laptop drives wear out faster.

Just grab an enclosure, it'll come in handy someday for something else too, so it's totally worth it.

Edit: the picture didn't load until after I posted, I see it's an IDE. That being the case: borrow a cable, load the data over, ditch the sucker, and buy a sata drive. Not that there's anything really wrong with IDE, but it just highlights how old that drive is, and I'd be very careful about using HDDs that are that old. I heard some statistic that the average life of a HDD is like 3-5 years. Now, personally, I've had a better record, but if that really is the case, then we should regularly think of changing HDs every few years, just like replacing tires on a car. HDDs are CHEAP, and they double in size every year or so, so just set aside a little to change out every so often. I had a drive fail on me a few years back... the recovery wiped my savings account clean. So don't take chances.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
wonder

Post by wonder »

Good points.

To be honest, this drive is at least 6 yrs old.
I use it for archiving.

I've been digging the WD USB drives lately.

But, if there's a CHEAP way to buy storage, I'll do that instead.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you work on Macs, these are essential in the toolkit. I see this one is usb 3 compatible now. My usb 2 version came in handy just last week.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wonder

Post by wonder »

Makes sense since I have 3 drives that aren't working correctly. All LaCie external FW drives.

Might as well pick up cables and try and salvage the content.
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Check this out - I picked up one of these so I could easily access the old drives I pulled out of the Mac when I upgraded to larger drives. Very handy, and especially fast when connected through eSATA. Useful for archiving.

http://www.dynamode.com/english/pages/p ... tions.html

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Stephen, that's exactly what I've been thinking about... I ended up with several perfectly good 7200rpm SATA drives just sitting on a shelf when I installed SSD's recently, and it would be nice to use them as triple-safe archives.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
wonder

Post by wonder »

Not gonna believe this...but my old MacBook Black just crapped out. I think it's the HD. Go figure.

Will these previously mentioned USB connectors work with this HD pictured below?

It's a seagate model MER2S 655.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

My adaptor works with the drives from my iBook, G4, G5, MacBook, MBP, iMac, and two Minis, so my guess it will work with that drive too.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

What Stephen said!

OWC has the NewerTech Voyager Qs. A music editor friend of mine turned me on to those. Incredible. Plug-and-play! Much easier to store naked SATA drives for backups than all those unwieldy HDs in cases - and no more need to store fifteen hundred different and unique power chords along with them.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
frankf

Post by frankf »

Kubi wrote:What Stephen said!

OWC has the NewerTech Voyager Qs. A music editor friend of mine turned me on to those. Incredible. Plug-and-play! Much easier to store naked SATA drives for backups than all those unwieldy HDs in cases - and no more need to store fifteen hundred different and unique power chords along with them.
+1 on the Voyager Q's. I have 2 of these with eSata as part of my permanent studio setup via an eSata PCIe card in my Mac Pro.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB