Removing Plug-Ins

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
larsreime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Removing Plug-Ins

Post by larsreime »

hey,

in DP8 I couldn't find, where to delete/remove audio plug-ins.

In detail: I have installed some plug ins (Instruments and Effects) for trying out them. Now, I want to remove them, but it seems, there ist no way. I uninstalled them from my Mac, but the are still showing up in DP8.

Does anybody have an idea?

thanks!!!
Apple MacBook Pro Retina with Mac OS X 10.10, MotU DP8, Apogee Duet for iPad & Mac, Focal CMS40, Akai MPK mini mkII
mikehalloran

Re: Removing Plug-Ins

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes. Your plugins are found in one of three folders in Library/Audio/Plugins depending on the type. If you are on OS 10.7 or 10.8 it helps to make the Library visible first. Not an issue in 10.6. You need to go in and delete them manually.

It's helpful to show your OS in your signature for questions like this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
larsreime

Post by larsreime »

Great, it works, but I think, this way is not user friendly...but, it is like it is...
Apple MacBook Pro Retina with Mac OS X 10.10, MotU DP8, Apogee Duet for iPad & Mac, Focal CMS40, Akai MPK mini mkII
magicd

Post by magicd »

If the plug-in shows up in DP, it has not yet been completely de-installed from the computer. For example, you could de-install the AU version of the plug, but the VST version may still be active.

You can disable plug-ins in the DP Preferences. However DP does not uninstall any plug-ins from the computer. If you want to actually uninstall a plug-in, that's done outside of DP.

Does any other DAW actually give you the option to de-install a plug-in from the computer?

Dave
larsreime

Post by larsreime »

I know, but I have uninstalled all the plug-Ins and they didn't show up in Live. Only in DP, they were shown. The problem was focused on only one plug-in firm, so maybe the uninstall process of them was not perfect.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

larsreime wrote:I know, but I have uninstalled all the plug-Ins and they didn't show up in Live. Only in DP, they were shown. The problem was focused on only one plug-in firm, so maybe the uninstall process of them was not perfect.
Then you have not uninstalled the plugin, just changed the configuration of Live so that it does not access the plugin. Some plugins come with an uninstall option in the installer. For others, just drag the plugin itself to the trash.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Which Plugin manufacturer? Are there MAS versions of the plugin?

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

stephentayler wrote:Which Plugin manufacturer? Are there MAS versions of the plugin?

SWT
A lot of plugs install multiple versions i.e. AU and VST (and possibly MAS as Stephen mentioned).
There are separate folders for the different versions, so Live might have been using VST and DP using AU which might explain what happened.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

larsreime wrote:Great, it works, but I think, this way is not user friendly...but, it is like it is...
Izotope, for example, has uninstallers that removes all instances from all folders.

If the plugin vendors do not write uninstallers, this is not the fault of MOTU or DP.

I told you where they are found and how to remove them manually. If you do not understand or need more help, much better to ask than complain.

That Live handles them differently is not an issue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

magicd wrote:Does any other DAW actually give you the option to de-install a plug-in from the computer?

Dave
If it did, it'd be counter to the universal "non-destructive" justificus methodori... I mean, ploppicus poopverandih... no... modicus pooparazzi... er, bolus pooperfungi of DAWs.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

And it would be presumptuous.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That too.

Pre-sumptuous can't be that bad though, can it? I mean, it's something that precedes sumptuousness. :?

billf

Post by billf »

larsreime wrote:Great, it works, but I think, this way is not user friendly...but, it is like it is...
It's a function of the OS and/or the plugin maker, not the DAW. But if you want to make it more "user friendly" you might want to look at setting up an Automater routine.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

If you want to clear your desktop of junk or empty or delete a file or folder, you simply send it to the trash, right? You don't need a preference panel or auto-mater (boy, I'd love one of them!), do you?

So it is when you take a leak, brew a coffee or... remove your plug-ins.