NAMM Announcement?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cody
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

NAMM Announcement?

Post by cody »

Anybody care to fill those of us stuck at home what's happenin' with MOTU at NAMM? Any cool announcements etc? Gracias!
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: NAMM Announcement?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

+1 Wass' happenin' in the MOTU and Finale booths?!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

I was just gonna post and ask the same... NAMM's been going on for a day and a half and still nothing about MOTU anywhere...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
MIDI Life Crisis

Wait till they start drinkin' tonight. The posts should start flyin' in.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Elektroakoustika

Post by Elektroakoustika »

I wonder if MOTU will just be showing DP8 for PC or if they have something else in the pipeline. I'm not really wanting/expecting anything from MOTU at this point. DP8 is serving me quite well. Though I would always love to see more new features for DP8 (perhaps full retina support?)

I am excited that Apogee updated their Duet to have a MIDI input though. It was the only thing holding me back on getting me one. I can finally get rid of my 828mk3 (which has given me a few too many driver problems these last few months) and get something more portable. Plus you can plug the new Duet into an iPad or iPhone which seems like a pretty cool solution. No more logging around a laptop to do some quick recording!
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, DP8 is WAY too new for any major announcements. I can imagine that they might unvail DP8.1 with a few new tweaks or something, or some VI/plugin news. Most likely is new hardware or updates.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

The news that DP8 for PC is shipping would be pretty big news. Although, if it's not, I'm sure they'd keep their mouths shut not to miss another release date...

Considering that DP8 was originally supposed to ship not so long after last year's NAMM, they should have come pretty far on a DP8.1 update by now... So either they withhold it to wait for the PC version to ship or they are readying the first PC version to ship to be 8.1...

But what do I know? Just curious to hear any little tidbit of what they are up to at NAMM...
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
MIDI Life Crisis

FutureLegends wrote:
But what do I know? Just curious to hear any little tidbit of what they are up to at NAMM...
RIght about now they should be headed over to El Torito for some margies! Those bastards!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

FutureLegends wrote:The news that DP8 for PC is shipping would be pretty big news. Although, if it's not, I'm sure they'd keep their mouths shut not to miss another release date...

Considering that DP8 was originally supposed to ship not so long after last year's NAMM, they should have come pretty far on a DP8.1 update by now... So either they withhold it to wait for the PC version to ship or they are readying the first PC version to ship to be 8.1...

I was told recently that 8.02 is pretty close and the Windows release would coincide with 8.02,they were aiming to get this released for NAMM but who knows maybe they still need a bit more time............
Can't be too long before this happens.

;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

We were told at the most excellent and exciting LA DP8 event that the PC release would coincide with the update to DP. So I'm thinking 8.01 was an intermediate bug fix and 8.1 may be imminent.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Elektroakoustika

Post by Elektroakoustika »

Wow, I can't believe I missed this. From MOTU's Twitter:
@motutech wrote:MOTU debuts Symphonic Instrument 2 on Day 1 of NAMM show 2013. Day 2 features Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater, James Sizemore on The Hobbit.
I'd be interested to see what SI 2 has to offer, even though SI is now pretty outdated compared with what is also available now. Nonetheless, I'd be interesting to see.
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Right about now they should be headed over to El Torito for some margies! Those bastards!
Damn those bastards! I'm sitting in a dark & cold sweden (-12C/10F). They should be cheering me up with news, not having margharitas in sunny california! ;)
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Elektroakoustika wrote:Wow, I can't believe I missed this. From MOTU's Twitter:
@motutech wrote:MOTU debuts Symphonic Instrument 2 on Day 1 of NAMM show 2013. Day 2 features Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater, James Sizemore on The Hobbit.
I'd be interested to see what SI 2 has to offer, even though SI is now pretty outdated compared with what is also available now. Nonetheless, I'd be interesting to see.
Finally some info!
Anyone know how big the improvement from Ethno to Ethno 2 was? Pretty substantial? It'll probably be a similar upgrade, I would assume. If it's a bit easier on the CPU than EWQLSO/PLAY it could be an interesting option...
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Ethno 2 is a substantial improvement over Ethno 1, but not as much so as Ethno World 5 over Ethno World 4. In MOTU Ethno's case, the main thing is new content (I think the old content is left as-is). This is also the case with Ethno World, but the substantial new content in Version 5 is way more deeply programmed/scripted than the older patches.

I have long hoped for a Symphonic Instrument 2 with more historical instruments. Version 1 was for a long time the only sample library source for some of that stuff, but a lot has happened in the past year alone. Even so, I'd be in if it includes historic instruments. I'll keep my eye out for details.

One thing to note is that Ethno's content is largely derived from UVI's add-on libraries. Not a bad thing; it's just that it would be easy to accidentally buy one of those during a sale, not realizing its redundant. But also given that, I would not be surprised if the new MSI includes the Fazioli from Mach Five and UVI, or another heavier content acoustic piano fir for orchestral settings.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Music4dw
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Music4dw »

Yep nothing new except for SI2 (which crashed on the demo i sat in and they didn't finish the demo so I had to go back). After the crash they said it was in early beta but didn't give a release timeframe.