Annoying dialog box : NO MOTU AUDIO DEVICE COULD BE FOUND

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
bejj
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Annoying dialog box : NO MOTU AUDIO DEVICE COULD BE FOUND

Post by bejj »

Hi,
Everytime I'm with my laptop, OUT of the studio (i.e. my MOTU 828MK2 is NOT connected), I get this annoying dialog box EVERY TIME I run an audio software... This is very annoying. Do you have an idea of how to get rid of this dialog box?

Thanks
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Annoying dialog box : NO MOTU AUDIO DEVICE COULD BE FOUN

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If your project or system calls for it and it's not found, you'll get the error. Uninstall the driver on the laptop and set your audio preferences in DP to use the driver that is with you (or your internal audio). You might also be sure it is not listed in the Apple Audio/MIDI Setup app and as a source in the Sounds preference on the Mac. Doing all of that should get rid of it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bejj

Post by bejj »

If your project or system calls for it and it's not found, you'll get the error.
This error happens every time i run an audio software that uses ASIO.

I get this error EVEN if I have *never* selected the MOTU 828MK2 in this software. (=> the MOTU was NOT previously selected the last time I launched this software, so this could not be the reason)

Every time a software enumerates the existing ASIO drivers on the computers, I get this annoying message.

I also have a TASCAM ASIO driver installed for a Tascam audio interface, and I never get such a message! :)

Uninstall the driver on the laptop
No! :D I don't want to uninstall the driver each time I quit the studio... Then the next day I would have to reinstall it !

Any other idea?
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

It doesn't happen with every app that uses ASIO, but unfortunately it does for some and I don't know of any work-around at this point. It's been like this ever since I can remember. An annoyance, yes - but nothing is broken.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
bejj

Post by bejj »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Sure, learn a couple of words: Thank you.
(You're welcome.)
Well, I haven't received your thank as well for having asked such an interesting question ;)

PS: don't get offended, but when you told me "You have to uninstall the MOTU driver" , I thought you were laughing at me ;)
Do you often uninstall the driver one day, and reinstall it the next time when you're back in studio ;) ?
Last edited by bejj on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bejj

Post by bejj »

NazRat wrote:It doesn't happen with every app that uses ASIO, but unfortunately it does for some and I don't know of any work-around at this point. It's been like this ever since I can remember. An annoyance, yes - but nothing is broken.
Ok, so is it the same for you:
When you launch an audio software that uses ASIO and your 828MK3 is not connected, you get exactly the same message?
MIDI Life Crisis

bejj wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Sure, learn a couple of words: Thank you.
(You're welcome.)
Well, I haven't received your thank as well for having asked such an interesting question ;)

PS: don't get offended, but when you told me "You have to uninstall the MOTU driver" , I thought you were laughing at me ;)
Do you often uninstall the driver one day, and reinstall it the next time when you're back in studio ;) ?
I never use a laptop. I'm not sure how you saw that as laughing at you, but it's not worth getting our knickers in a knot over. No harm, no foul. And yes, I haven't tackled such an interesting question since i went shopping last week and they asked if i wanted paper of plastic. OK, now I AM kidding.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
AnthonyS

Post by AnthonyS »

bejj wrote:Hi,
Everytime I'm with my laptop, OUT of the studio (i.e. my MOTU 828MK2 is NOT connected), I get this annoying dialog box EVERY TIME I run an audio software... This is very annoying. Do you have an idea of how to get rid of this dialog box?

Thanks
I know this isn't much of answer for you, but this doesn't happen on my MacBook Pro. Not saying you should switch, but since it seems to be more a Windows/ASIO phenomenon, maybe contact Microsoft?

anthony
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.
bejj

Post by bejj »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: I never use a laptop. I'm not sure how you saw that as laughing at you, but it's not worth getting our knickers in a knot over. No harm, no foul. And yes, I haven't tackled such an interesting question since i went shopping last week and they asked if i wanted paper of plastic. OK, now I AM kidding.
:)

Sorry this was a misunderstanding! By the way, thanks for all your answers (NOT kidding this time!).
MIDI Life Crisis

It's the only time I get to take a break! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bejj

Post by bejj »

;)

by the way, MIDI Life Crisis, would you have an idea for another question : is it possible to control MOTU 828's Main Output volume or Main Output Mute/Unmute with a MIDI controller or with a remote control?

This would be super helpful!

Thanks in advance :)
MIDI Life Crisis

I don't that that unit. I have a Track 16 which I can run the MOTU Audio Setup app and link it to the volume keys on my Mac but the device has to be set as the default audio output in the system preferences for the OS.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

bejj wrote:Ok, so is it the same for you:
When you launch an audio software that uses ASIO and your 828MK3 is not connected, you get exactly the same message?
Yes, the same message, but not EVERY app that uses ASIO presents this error on launch when the 828 isn't connected. For instance, I can load PT or any of the NI standalone instruments and I don't get the error. OTOH, when I load any standalone FXPansion instrument I get the error.

As far as your MIDI CueMix volume question, it's been discussed in several threads on this board - you should be able to find them with a search.
bejj

Post by bejj »

Thanks for your answers.
As far as your MIDI CueMix volume question, it's been discussed in several threads on this board - you should be able to find them with a search.
I have found several topic about this subject. But I don't want exactly the same: i would like to be able to control the MOTU 828's Main volume from a MIDI controller or remote control, with *computer off* (=> without using the software Cuemix on the computer).

NB: I often use the MOTU 828MK2 with "Computer off", just as a mixer of all my synths connected to it (and when I turn the computer on, I can easily record)
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

bejj wrote:i would like to be able to control the MOTU 828's Main volume from a MIDI controller or remote control, with *computer off* (=> without using the software Cuemix on the computer).

NB: I often use the MOTU 828MK2 with "Computer off", just as a mixer of all my synths connected to it (and when I turn the computer on, I can easily record)
AFAIK - there is no way to do this. Whether it is OSC, HUI, etc., they all use CueMix via the computer for remote control. Maybe it will show up in a future version of the drivers.