LAME for DP 8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
hammerman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

LAME for DP 8

Post by hammerman »

Man, I wasted an hour trying to find this. For DP 8 you need a different form of LAME and in a different place. You need to get 3.98 or greater and in this form: "libmp3lame.dylib"

I got mine here: http://nuclearpixel.com/blog/view/2010- ... _osx_10.5/

Then you put it here: Library/Audio/Plug-ins/MOTU Audio Export

You can thank me later!

:banghead:
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
magnumpraw
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: LAME for DP 8

Post by magnumpraw »

wow, I was literally, just going to post asking about this.

Thanks!
DP 8.07
Apogee Symphony Thunderbolt
Mac Pro 2013 8 Core 64 GB RAM
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks for that!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Can this file be loaded before DP8
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Nice one Hammerman

DP hasn't landed over here yet but I'm sure when it does, I would have grown a beard over that one!!!

Thanks

Sean
hammerman wrote:Man, I wasted an hour trying to find this. For DP 8 you need a different form of LAME and in a different place. You need to get 3.98 or greater and in this form: "libmp3lame.dylib"

I got mine here: http://nuclearpixel.com/blog/view/2010- ... _osx_10.5/

Then you put it here: Library/Audio/Plug-ins/MOTU Audio Export

You can thank me later!

:banghead:
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
MIDI Life Crisis

It unzips into two files, do we need both? Also, the link mentions it is for: "Mac OS X 10.5 PPC, PPC64, i386 and X86_64 architectures." Excuse my ignorance, but is a Mac Pro with an Intel processor included in that?

TIA.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Is there a Framework like other versions?
Last edited by mikehalloran on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

'cause MOTU changed it. Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do the voodoo that we do sooo weeeeeeell!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I seem to recall trying to make mp3’s in DP years ago using LAME and the mp3s kind of sucked.
They at least took Waaay longer to make and had occasional drop out, artifacts etc.This got me into many discussions on the forum about ways to change setting etc, a real pain.
Then I went to i tunes and it was fantastic. Fast, flawless, almost an industry standard.
When I see folks bothering to use DP and LAME I am truly curious as to WHY?

Is it better now?
I’d love info on this.
Thanks
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

It was better in DP7. I also had earlier DP versions make MP3s that were way too large.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

MLC, he talks about 64 bit Intel architectures in the previous version here:
http://nuclearpixel.com/blog/view/2010- ... _osx_10.5/

You don't use a framework for this one. I always had better luck with the LAME encoder quality-wise instead of iTunes, though at high quality, it can take longer. I like how I can bounce to disk as mp3 in one step.

Not easy to find the little bugger!
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks, I saw that but was confused as to whether he was referring to just PPC on the Macs and not including Intel processors.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
doodles

Post by doodles »

toodamnhip wrote:I seem to recall trying to make mp3’s in DP years ago using LAME and the mp3s kind of sucked.
They at least took Waaay longer to make and had occasional drop out, artifacts etc.This got me into many discussions on the forum about ways to change setting etc, a real pain.
Then I went to i tunes and it was fantastic. Fast, flawless, almost an industry standard.

Is it better now?
I’d love info on this.
Thanks
well, for me, if I've got 20 files/mixes which need to be exported, it's a hell of a lot easier just exporting from DP than dragging into itunes, converting, then trying to find the bloody files in itunes and then export them all!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
zed

Post by zed »

toodamnhip wrote:I seem to recall trying to make mp3’s in DP years ago using LAME and the mp3s kind of sucked.

Is it better now?
I’d love info on this.
Thanks
First off, I use Audio Hijack Pro to capture my Mp3 mixes from DP. A great tool. It is much much easier to just engage the record button of Audio Hijack Pro and have it capture everything without futzing around with DP settings. It's an inexpensive product and the upgrades are free forever: http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/

But secondly, I believe that you need to have LAME installed and accessible to DP (if I am remembering this correctly) if you want to import Mp3 files into DP. I sometimes drag Mp3 files onto stereo audio tracks and it works like a charm. Mono Mp3s to mono audio tracks works too. I think you have to have LAME for that, but I may be wrong. Perhaps I was trying to create an Mp3 from within DP before I purchased Audio HiJack Pro and that's why DP was asking for LAME. I'm not completely sure.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

zed wrote: I use Audio Hijack Pro to capture my Mp3 mixes from DP. A great tool. It is much much easier to just engage the record button of Audio Hijack Pro and have it capture everything without futzing around with DP settings.
I have AHP as well, but what's so difficult about hitting the bounce button in DP and saving to MP3? If you have routing issues or freezing a lot of VI's is problematic, I can see AHP as a solution, but that happens in realtime with AHP. Bouncing in DP happens in virtual time and can be an immense time saver when you are sending cues or other stuff out to clients for review. A 45 minute soundtrack will take AHP 45 minutes to capture. DP will export than in probably under 5 minutes - more likely less on a faster machine.

Seriously, zed, the MP3 export and bounce from DP is really a much more efficient way to go unless you have a specific reason why a project needs to be captured externally.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS