just discovered?!! channel strip / mixer EQ controls

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

just discovered?!! channel strip / mixer EQ controls

Post by martian »

you know how you get stuck in a rut - working one way - like since DP3 or something?

well today - I finally went - hmm sick of a million eq windows.. :deadhorse:

and the answer in some cases is the EQ controls in the mixer/ channel strip. :rtfm:

took a bit of setting up.. ( cos it defaulted to "blue" band 1 - where as I need band 4 to be the visible layer- since most of the dialog I am getting at the minute is dull as, and off mic....

also had to modify the EQ plugs them selves.. ( wished there was a way to do all in one )but am going to change in template.. or some less fiddly way of switching bands.. actually the main eq floating windows are better if u want to change freq and gain at the same time....

but if you are locking on a general high shelf its highly suitable as an "economic" fix when dealing with differing degrees of a similiar "dullness" ( think these guys are heavy smokers around the mic?!!!! )

basically I just got another speed boost! :dance:

great since I am on episode 35 of 52!
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
Radiogal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: just discovered?!! channel strip / mixer EQ controls

Post by Radiogal »

Never use it but it could be useful as I most of the time use the MW EQ on every track.. hmm.. now you have said something.. thanks for reminding about this option.. :)
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

When I first heard they were implementing in-line EQ and dynamics into the Channel Strip as of 7, ala Cubase or Vision DSP, I actually got very excited about it, until I actually messed around with them and realized they weren't actually built-in, you can just see the controls without opening the actual plugs once you set them up as inserts like the old days. That being said, two-band ParaEQ is my go-to track EQ, where I mainly do low-cuts or shelving.

Since DP is getting hardcore into the analog modeling, they're probably overdue to start setting up their audio tracks with actual in-line EQ and track dynamics independent of using plugs -- they've certainly arrived, in terms of audio routing and mixing. I think the main reason they don't is because they're trying to maintain compatibility with ProTools (and it's only a short matter of time before they start doing it).
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
martian

Post by martian »

I would have likd the para EQ window to be embedabe. so it folows the channel strip as it was a total mess sometimes for me..

this is my RHS monitor - ( you may need to right click ; open in new tab - to see all )

bottom left is harsh eq on music,, foley and ambience master stem EQ's to right then up the side are SFX master EQ and dialog master

its better - but when I am abusing foley/ sfx channel EQ's I tend to end up with a million open EQ windows...

I believe the EQ controls can select MW or para 2 4 8...

an option to show all controls as opposed to picking a colour ( bue - band 1 yellow band 4 for instance )
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

See, that's what I was saying: I was hoping it would just integrate (at least) the ParaEQ and maybe a simple dynamics plug into the actual channel strip, rather like the Pan and Send controls. As it stands now, you can select your EQ and dynamics and see those controls in other windows, but it's really almost the same as just selecting those plugs as plain old inserts with a little more visibility. Again, I assume this is being done to maintain compatibility with ProTools, but it would be a smidge easier if they just committed to making your Q and dynamics in-line, as if you were mixing on a high-end console. Like I said, since MOTU has really gotten into some great analog modeling in the later versions of DP, it would be interesting to see them re-model the mixing board after an actual high-end console, like an SSL or a Helios.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
martian

Post by martian »

yeah some kind of embedding would work for me :)

but if you just need a quick adirty cut/boost on a high shelf - this "new" way is quick - since my channel strip and hence gain control is in same place - then muscle memory on my wacom gets me there real quick..... ( use mapped mode not mouse mode on wacom is much better! )

but I think for some work, the graphical interface is easier? ie drag both freq and gain at the same time - only can do one control other wise with the pointer...

I'm starting to dig a little deeper into my new MCmix. suspect there's a way to splash the EQ's for a channel across the LED like the HUI could..

that would nail it for me pretty much...

( sort of surprised motu hasnt come out with a control surface actually? )

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

martian wrote:yeah some kind of embedding would work for me :)

but if you just need a quick adirty cut/boost on a high shelf - this "new" way is quick - since my channel strip and hence gain control is in same place - then muscle memory on my wacom gets me there real quick..... ( use mapped mode not mouse mode on wacom is much better! )

but I think for some work, the graphical interface is easier? ie drag both freq and gain at the same time - only can do one control other wise with the pointer...

I'm starting to dig a little deeper into my new MCmix. suspect there's a way to splash the EQ's for a channel across the LED like the HUI could..

that would nail it for me pretty much...

( sort of surprised motu hasnt come out with a control surface actually? )

My first DAW was Vision DSP, which had EQ integrated into its channel strip -- even so, it opened a new GUI window to initially allow you to set up the controls, then displayed however many bands in the actual channel strip (up to four), which you could manipulate without having to re-open the GUI again. The downside to this was, you couldn't control where the EQ was in relation to anything else in the channel's signal path, so it was always last. Cubase had/has a slightly better setup for its in-line EQ/dynamics, but since it's Cubase, you then have to deal with the rest of the program. I have no problem with just slapping an instance of ParaEQ onto a track as an insert (at this point, it's pretty much second nature), or a more intricate EQ if the track calls for it ... same goes for dynamics. I also always liked DP's versatility in allowing part or all of the inserts to be pre- or post-fader, something you might not get to do if those effects were integrated.

I stated in another post that I was intrigued by Harrison Mixbus, which I think was partially designed to allow another DAW (like DP) to slave to it. In theory, you could channel all your audio tracks' outputs in DP to Mixbus's inputs (via Jack OS X), then treat DP like a tape machine and Mixbus like a Harrison mixing console. The advantage to this is, Mixbus has integrated "analog modeled" EQ and dynamics on every channel, plus the ability to use all your AU plugs, plus 8 channels of "summing" and built-in tape/analog dynamics on your master channel. The disadvantage of this is, and especially on a slow machine like mine, you now have two DAWs running concurrently, so, in my case, I would have to record all my VI audio in DP (Mixbus has no built-in MIDI or VI capabilities), then port the audio into Mixbus directly and do the audio portion of a project completely inside Mixbus. I'm likely gonna try mixing something in DP and then, doing more or less the same mix in Mixbus and see if there's even any advantage to doing this.

I was almost dead certain that the Euphonix control surfaces would end up being bought out by MOTU, ala M-Audio being bought out by Digidesign, since the MCMix stuff was being promoted heavily by MOTU there for a while as being the de facto control surface for DP. At the very least, I'd love to see MOTU come up with an all-in-one control surface/keyboard controller with specific DP controls.
martian

Post by martian »

my first experience of DAW in the real world ( i had a go on a green screen audiofile in college )

was the studer - dyaxis... very unreliable and as was early 90's had some ridiculous compression scheme...
then about 12 years of fairlight... which rocked - and I wish some of DP's engineers would take a good look at some of the editing features!!

followed by a stint on Avid's Audiovision, not as good as Fairlight but way better than protools is even now...

protools for a while - but they frustrated me on several fronts so - I plunged to DP... simple economics made me put some effort into it..

:unicorn: anyways I just made one key stroke change that has made life quicker still..

changed the up down arrows ( which I rarely used for vertical zoom )

:idea: to move selection up/down....

this actually great as it means you dont have to move your mouse! can hang over the EQ on the channel strip and hit the up/down and the channel you need pops into view.

small but effective change!

( works with MC control too... so I can let go of mouse and manually "play again" ( use play from insert point... )

Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I hope DPs gui will be linked in someway to Cuemix FX, maybe with additional knobs like
assign i.e. EQ to input path / output path... also i.e. aux sends...could be done with plugs too...
The mixer window and all its possible strip items are displayed so small, even on a 32" that I use, and using Cuemix FX as well for input monitoring disturbs...

There is hope

Best to all

Klaus
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I've been continually bummed out that the Cuemix FX aren't actually DSP-accelerated plugs, which is why I wound up choosing a TC interface over a MOTU interface (and while I love my Konnekt 24D and dig the hardware plug-ins, nothing is going to beat the stability of a MOTU interface, especially if you mainly use DP). I guess there's a way to route them, but I could never understand why MOTU didn't go the extra mile and make them accessible as actual plug-ins that could render in the box. Given how wonky hardware plugs tend to be (as in the aforementioned Konnekt 24D), I can only assume it's either a cost issue or stability one.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I didn't mean to access Cuemix FX plugs for 'in the box' use,
but
having control from within DP and use them in the interface for live mixing, like DP does control some already, i.e. input switch, mute, fader...
Later having the hardware playthru bug though...
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... e+playthru

best

Klaus
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I knew what you meant, but I'd think that, by virtue of having access to the Cuemix FX via DP (through a plug, perhaps?), you'd pretty much already be about ninety percent of the way to simply just being able to utilize them as "in-the-box" effects.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

A Cuemix FX plug like the Masterworks plugs ?
They don't need a Motu Interface, right ?
I just want remote control from DP thru FW / USB connection for the hardware...

Am I missing something ?
:oops:
Best

Klaus
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Klaus wrote:A Cuemix FX plug like the Masterworks plugs ?
They don't need a Motu Interface, right ?
I just want remote control from DP thru FW / USB connection for the hardware...
No, I was saying that the easiest way to control the Cuemix FX inside of DP would be via a plug-in, and that by virtue of having a plug-in to control Cuemix FX, you've done at least half, if not more, of the work required to simply make it them all DSP-powered plugs you could render in the box like UAD or TC hardware-powered plugs.