Missing Sound Files

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wylie1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Missing Sound Files

Post by wylie1 »

Every once in a while I would get the Missing Sound File window.
Now I seam to be getting it on every Project.
If I select all and ok the songs opens and plays all right but when I save close and open again I get the same message.
Any ideas why this would keep on happening its starting to worry me.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Radiogal

Re: Missing Sound Files

Post by Radiogal »

Try a repair permissions of the OSX drive and see if that helps.
Maybe your hard drive is about to die (almost full??)
It´s probably an issue with the search function to your disc.
Hope the Repair Disc Permissions will fix that for you. Otherwise, maybe it´s time to buy a new AUDIO HD...
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I will guess that these projects started life on another computer and that you are now noticing it in DP 7.24. With me, 7.01 opened my projects fine, 7.12 was a bit weird and 7.24 would generate this error.

First repair permissions. Fixes it many times.

If you still have the problem, do a Get Info on your project folder. Grant Read and Write privileges to all users then check Apply to enclosed items from the drop down menu and click OK.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Right now I'm just trying to backup my audio drive I thought I would copy the whole drive but some files won't copy "error -39"
I want get my priority files copied before I do any thing else.
error -39 is a RW permission error I think.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wylie1 wrote:Right now I'm just trying to backup my audio drive I thought I would copy the whole drive but some files won't copy "error -39"
I want get my priority files copied before I do any thing else.
error -39 is a RW permission error I think.
How you copy makes a difference. Drag and Drop gives you permission errors that won't let 7.24 find your files.

If pushing the files, Clone using CCC or TechTool 6. If pulling, use Migration Assistant or Time Machine. With DP 7.24, you will still need to repair permissions and run the Get Info / Apply to Enclosed Items fix. 7.24 is particularly tight on permissions.

Old projects that opened fine in 5.13/6.03/7.01/7.12 gave me this error in 7.24. Even if Get Info shows that everything is ok, run Apply to enclosed items anyway.

Get Info / Apply to Enclosed Items needs to be run on your Project folders. I never had to run it on DP itself but some have. You may also have to run it on the Application Support files in the User/Library folder.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Just had the scare of my life I tried running disk repair, it said the disk is unrepairable and the bloody disk unmounted my heart hit the floor :shock:
It came back after a reboot.
I was able to get all the latest stuff but there's still over 100gig of files I need to get off it and when I get code -39 unable to read 10"_Tom.wav files like that could be anywhere.
I'm going to purchase CCC I'm hoping it can get past these errors.
MIDI Life Crisis

Missing Sound Files

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Isn't CCC donationware?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

ccc is great... use it every day,,

and yes it has saved my bacon! :D

disk utility is wimpy..

you need diskwarrior! :brucelee:
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I really liked diskwarrior but stop using it because I had an old version.
I just finished copying everything over its taken 3 days I've lost some stuff but no show stoppers.
Had no idea that my Audio drive was 8 yrs old normally switch them out about every 4-5yrs.
Where'd the time go :?
kgdrum

Missing Sound Files

Post by kgdrum »

I've been using SuperDuper to clone drives for a while and I've always liked it.
I just read some interesting info about the new paid version of CCC in the SmallDog newsletter :

"In the past I have almost always gone with SuperDuper! because of its easy interface and its Smart Update option, where the clone operation does not re-clone everything, but just updates the clone disk to match the current state of the original drive. Carbon Copy Cloner has always been another popular choice, and the new paid version has a great feature where it can also create a Recovery Partition on the clone drive, something that SuperDuper does not do. The Recovery Partition is a new feature in Lion and Mountain Lion where you can boot with the option key held down and boot from a special partition to run disk repair, OS reinstall, password reset and other options."

So from what I see from this if you are using Lion or MLion the paid version of CCC might be a good app for $49,which btw is still less $$ than upgrading SD would be if you were upgrading to Lion or MLion.
I hope this clarifies things a bit.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
frankf

Missing Sound Files

Post by frankf »

I use SuperDuper. I just replaced my MacBook Pro startup disk and was wondering about recreating the Recovery Partition. I emailed Shirt Pocket, the developer, and the response I got back was this: First reinstall the OS, which creates the Recovery Partition, then Restore using SD from the clone. Worked perfectly.
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

martian wrote:ccc is great... use it every day,,

and yes it has saved my bacon! :D

disk utility is wimpy..

you need diskwarrior! :brucelee:
Has DiskWarrior ever fixed anything for you? I mean something didn't work, you ran DW and then it worked. It never has for me - not once. I run it about every 6 months and see what it says it has fixed but can't say I ever saw a difference in performance.

Unlike Disk Utility. I have used this many times to fix drives that couldn't/wouldn't mount due to some corruption or the other. The last time was 3 weeks ago on a TM drive that became corrupted due to something stupid I did (hot swap eSATA just doesn't work). DW just kept saying it was unrepairable. Anyway, it took four passes with DU but eventually got it back up and running - then DW said it was fine.

Cloning is now part of TechTool 6. I prefer commercially supported software.
martian

Post by martian »

thats odd.. becos my experience has been exactly the reverse!

disk warrior has rescued drives for me that were "unfixable" by disk utility..

its rescued disk that gave me the eject or erase prompt..

it has however just stopped working for me.. rebuilds the partition - gives a list of the files / fork/ resources and permissions it fixed..- but then says MacOS failure cant save rebuilt directory.. ( I need to look into that pronto ! ) I may need to upgrade it..

but seriously I have used it in "brown trouser mode" quite a few times
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
labman

Post by labman »

Diskwarrior has saved & rescued many many drives here. Just two days ago an apple security update rendered one mac pro unbootable. Then Diskwarrior to rescue, and all was squeaky clean again.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.