Voiceover advice

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
austinladd3
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Voiceover advice

Post by austinladd3 »

Does anyone have a template or recommendation for plugin chain for voiceover? ProTools uses a ptf file to accomplish this. Anything similar in DP?
strikingtwice
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Voiceover advice

Post by strikingtwice »

You mean a template? Seems like stereo audio for your bed, mono for your voice, maybe a bus for reverb and an eq and comp on the voice insert? Is that what you're asking about?
David DeLizza
4-core nehalem macpro, 6 gb ram, dp5,6,7, motu 896hd, axiom61, reason 4, bunch o' plugs.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm thinking plug-in chain may be the question. It all depends on what VO style one is seeking, i.e. PBS Nature vs Monster Trucks commercial.
strikingtwice

Post by strikingtwice »

A bit crusher and ring modulator...always a bitcrusher and ring mod.

hc is right though, a health insurance commercial will be drastically different than the terry crewes old spice commercials, but the basic plugs i mentioned before will be used on both, regardless of style. settings and stuff are kind of hard to make, because if you have different vo artists and it's not just you, you will have to compensate for every voice.
David DeLizza
4-core nehalem macpro, 6 gb ram, dp5,6,7, motu 896hd, axiom61, reason 4, bunch o' plugs.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I agree. My advice for any track (voice or otherwise) is to listen and decide what the track needs using your ears. Then apply what the track requires. About the only time I use insert presets is when I'm looking for a rough starting point for guitar that was recorded direct. Even then, sometimes I start from scratch. JMHO.
(I do, however, confess to over-use of bit crusher and ring modulator :roll: )
Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
austinladd3

Post by austinladd3 »

thanks to all. The voiceover is more of the "cowboy storyteller" style.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

The Waves AudioTrack (sort of a virtual Compeller) has a preset called "CLassic VO" that is a fine starting point. I'll start there, roll off the lows and adjust the rolloff point for the individual. Then I'll adjust compression and output gain setting based on the read... but for a VO recorded on something like an EV RE20 or 27 or a Shure SM7, that plug and setting is just about as close as you can come to "instant good."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

strikingtwice wrote:A bit crusher and ring modulator...always a bitcrusher and ring mod.
Always?

Are you only doing beer commercials, used cars and games?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Austinladd,

Which mic you're using is very important to your question. also, how dynamic the voice is.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Depending on the project, generally, I always feel 'less is better.' I'll only apply plugs and effects when there is either a specific reason to do so or the recording is in need of some massaging. Of course, one would never print a plug to a recording as it is being made. Only to the raw file.

Mics are, of course, critical as is the space the recording was made in. This may be the single biggest obstacle to overcome. Getting rid of noise, hum, breaths, clicks, pops, sibilance, dentures falling out, etc., are all individual challenges and every one should be address individually.

The important plugs for me are EQ, possibly dynamics, reverb, maybe a limiter, and perhaps a leveler. Which brings me to my ongoing request: that DP add a nice, robust noise reduction package to the DAW. That would be pig's heaven for me.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

I'm having to deal with film audio right now. I composed the music and have it ready to go, but our audio guy flaked out and we haven't heard from him. So, the director asked if I would fix the audio. I was up front in telling him that this isn't my thang, but would give it a shot. I was able to complete 2 scenes last night and it turned out pretty well. I'm concerned about 3 or 4 scenes where the audio is horrible. There is a bathroom scene where they have water running in the background and the dialog audio is terrible. Not sure how I'm going to go about this. I wish they would have left the water sound out as I could have added adr later. But, it is what it is. I guess I'm going to play around with the eq and see if I can enhance the dialog.

I was able to load up a pro tools omf file, which I had never done in DP. I really hate dealing with film audio, but I want to finish this project up asap as I should be getting my next project in the next week or 2. The one advantage for a composer doing audio is that I can mix the film and not have to worry about the audio guy screwing up the music track.

As MLC said, I believe that less is better. I want to use as few plugins as possible to accomplish the mission. It's amazing how cutting and pasting audio will cover up a lot of those production noises.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not to mention fade in and outs at just the right time...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

I've been really surprised at the usefulness of Izotope RX for cleaning up dialog. There's a demo that runs un-hindered - but it was well worth the $299 for me.
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel »

Hardware. Good LDC mic and a channel strip (DBX 286A) Get it sounding good before you turn it into little ones and zeroes.

....Then tweak it. A good V/O person helps too.

Your computer will not save you. (not 100% anyway)

DD