Motu 8pre expansion...

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
eric90000
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu 8pre expansion...

Post by eric90000 »

Hello,

I am new to these forums and have a predicament...I was hoping someone here could lend me a hand.

Basically I have a Motu 8pre as my only interface. However, I acquired a nice tube preamp and a new condenser microphone that I would like to use together. Obviously It wouldn't make sense to route the output of the tube preamp to one of the preamps on the 8pre as this defeats the purpose of using a dedicated preamp (as well as being way to loud).

So I need some kind of Line in which bypasses any kind of onboard preamp so I can use my tube preamp. However my problem and the reason I need advice is that the 8pre doesn't have any Line ins, just 8 preamps, but it does have optical in/out.

Does anyone know of any way I can expand my 8pre in order to accommodate for my tube preamp......aka get some sort of Line in expansion. I was looking at the Digimax D8 which has 8 preamps and 2 line ins, which would total 16 Mic Preamps and 2 Line ins. It looks like It will connect to the Motu via optical but I'm not sure if this will work.....or if the 1/4" inputs on the front are true Line ins which bypass the internal Preamps for a mic in as they have a picture of a guitar beside them.

One last thing I noticed the Motu 8pre has no BNC Word Clock....is that a problem or anything?

Any other recommendations or advice greatly appreciated!
FutureLegends
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu 8pre expansion...

Post by FutureLegends »

I think the main intention for the 8pre is to be used as an auxilliary interface complementing interfaces like the 828mk3 do expand that with 8 more physical inputs with preamps. The 828mk3 has 10 line inputs and 2 preamps (and a bunch of opticals).
They are basically made to work together so might be worth looking into. Then the idea is to use the 828 as the main interface with the 8pre going in the optical input of the 828. And your nice pre amp into one of the line inputs of the 828. And ALL (both 8pre & 828's) inputs would be controlled in CueMix FX as it was one interface.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

thanks for the reply and advice! I get what you mean now....so the 8pre is really made to supplement larger interfaces...not have other ones supplement it.

Just had a look at the 828MK3.....its a bit on the pricey side. Can you suggest something cheaper maybe? or do you think I would be shooting myself in the foot in terms of upgrading if I went with something to supplement the 8pre....

Thanks again
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

I guess it would work with any interface that has adat optical. But the 8pre isn't designed to be a master device if you have many. Although that might work too.
Not sure what your needs are and how many inputs you need. But the 828mk3 also offers CueMix FX which is really great as you can use reverb etc while monitoring with no latency. But as you say it might be overkill if all you really need is one more input for the pre amp ;-)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

whats the deal with the word clock sync thing that the 8pre doesnt have....I take it its not problem then as the 8pre was made to work with the 828Mk3.

But, if i want to connect say a Digimax D8, would this cause problems as that has word clock but 8pre doesnt?

thanks for ur help by the way!
nick danger

Post by nick danger »

A couple of suggestions, which may or may not solve your problem.

1. Plug your preamp into the 8pre, but turn the gain down all the way-- I believe the inputs work as line-level that way.

2. If that doesn't work, and expense is an issue, for $250, you could get a MOTU Microbook, which has 4 inputs, including two line-level inputs.
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8 gb ram running 10.11.6; 17" Macbook Pro 8,3, 2.5 GHz Core I7, 16 GB ram running 10.13.6; DP 8.07; 8pre-es; 828mkII; 828mkI; microbook II, Behringer ADA8000, Black Lion Auteur 2-Ch. Pre-Amp
MeisterEckhardt

Post by MeisterEckhardt »

Is it my imagination or are the 8pre's preamps set to unity gain when the preamp knob is turned all the way left (off)? This means there should be a straight through connection with no amplification or coloration of the 8pre preamps. Am I mistaken here? I would think you could use a mic and a preamp externally and go right into the 8 pre XLR and not re-amplify anything, just as long as you have your 8pre preamp gain knobs turned fully off.
Maybe I've drunk purple cool-aid. It's possible. I mistakenly grab that sometimes instead of coffee. Please, someone correct me if I am mistaken about the unity gain thang.

Thanks,
Meister
Mac Mini 2012 under El Capitan OS X with 16 GB RAM, Motu MIDI Express XT, Motu 828 MK II Firewire, Motu 8pre, Korg o1W/fd, Yamaha S80, TrapKat, Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute drums, lots of percussion, Roland VS-1680, Mics, Fender J Bass, hens, tamworth pigs, barn cats, one incredibly smart and lovable farm collie. (Animals great for sampling, no batteries required).
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

From the 8 pre manual:

CONNECT AUDIO INPUTS AND OUTPUTS
The 8pre audio interface has the following audio input and output connectors:
■ 8 combo XLR/quarter-inch analog mic/guitar/ instrument inputs
■ 2 balanced, +4 dB quarter-inch TRS main outs ■ 2 pair of ADAT optical (“Lightpipe”) in/out
Here are a few things you should keep in mind as you are making these connections to other devices.
Mic/guitar/instrument inputs
Connect a microphone, guitar or other similar instrument to any XLR/quarter-inch combo jack input on the rear panel. If your microphone requires phantom power, move the 48V phantom power switch on the front panel to the up position (enabled). Use the trim knobs on the front panel to adjust the input level as needed for each input. The trim knob provides approximately 40 dB of gain. Use the input level meters on the front panel (labeled Analog In) to calibrate the level. These meters register for both the XLR and TRS input.
If a line level signal is still too hot with the trim turned all the way down, engage (flip down) the 20dB pad switch on the front panel.

So it looks like you do have line level compatabillity. :wink:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
phatbeatstudio

Post by phatbeatstudio »

I am new to this board but u have what you need but maybe only half of it.
The 8 pre is two products in one remember,a 8 ch pre amp or a 8 channel converter if it is not pluged Fire wire. but to not plug in fire wire you would need something else to go with it (828 ect) you probly know this already
But have you tried just sending your 8 pre a signal from your good pre amp
remember turn your 8 pre all the way down you dont need to turn it up
+Also do any of these units have the -10 +4 switch on them
if they do swith from +4 to -10 that 14 more db in your favour
If al else fails go lo teck you are probably using balenced cables right (like you should) but run an unbalenced cable to get your input stage down to line level thats another 14db (I think)
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

phatbeatstudio wrote:If al else fails go lo teck you are probably using balenced cables right (like you should) but run an unbalenced cable to get your input stage down to line level thats another 14db (I think)
Say what?

The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.