can't get MIDI to playback

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
angaa53077
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

can't get MIDI to playback

Post by angaa53077 »

I am recording with DP6. I have a keyboard going from MIDI out to MIDI in on my firestudio. After i record i can see all of the sound waves and notation, but when i press play to listen, it looks as though it is playing but no sound comes out. Help!
screamin_keys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: can't get MIDI to playback

Post by screamin_keys »

You also will need a MIDI out cable from your Firestudio back to your MIDI in on your keyboard. The MIDI notes "master" are telling what ever sound source "slave" you have hooked up what notes to play.
Make sure that everything is on the same MIDI channel, or that your keyboard is set to omni which means it will receive "what to do" no matter which of the 16 channels it comes in on. Think of a circle, your half way there..
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not really enough info. I'd suggest you review the Getting Started Guide and contact MOTU if you can't figure it out. That is a very simple thing to do, but if you're DP settings are not right, you won't hear a thing.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
angaa53077
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by angaa53077 »

i have a casio privia px-10 with 2 cables going into the firestudio - MIDI in to MIDI out and MIDI out to MIDI in. i can see all of the sound files being recorded but nothing is playing back. the output is set to new external device. MIDI patch thru is on. audio system is MOTU. Is there any other information that you would need? I have been trying to figure this out for a week or two and i can't! its killing me.

Thanks in advance for any help or responses
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

a) If your keyboard is only connected via MIDI cables per your post , you can't possibly be recording
sound waves. Your connections only allow the record and playback of MIDI data.
b) put all your gear in your signature via your profile ... it helps anyone know your set up when trying to help

If you're trying to monitor audio data recorded in the computer , are the main outputs of the firestudio interface connected to a pair of powered speakers or to a small mixer , then to a power amp, then to a pair of speakers ?

Does the Casio have a headphone jack ? With both MIDI cables connected , turn local control on the casio to 'off' record some MIDI data , then play the data back. Does the data recorded in your computer trigger the notes in the synth ? (which you 'd hear via the headphone output)

HTH - Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

angaa53077 wrote:i have a casio privia px-10 with 2 cables going into the firestudio - MIDI in to MIDI out and MIDI out to MIDI in. i can see all of the sound files being recorded but nothing is playing back. the output is set to new external device. MIDI patch thru is on. audio system is MOTU. Is there any other information that you would need? I have been trying to figure this out for a week or two and i can't! its killing me.

Thanks in advance for any help or responses
DO you have a manual?????????
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang