DP7.2 Working Well

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP7.2 Working Well

Post by waterstrum »

Just posting some good news.

I'm using 7.2 for paying sessions and it is working well.
I'm enjoying the new themes too.
So far, still no contextual menus here, but I suspect that is some weird thing with my setup.

2 days of tracking and mixing.
No crashes or problems.

Thanks to MOTU and MOTUNATION.
All is well
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP7.2 Working Well

Post by Phil O »

That's good news. I've been playing around with it and all is well so far. I have a client coming tomorrow that I've worked with quite a bit, and I'll be using 7.2 for that session. I figured I wouldn't test it with a new client. I'm just paranoid I guess. :shock:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
davelee

Post by davelee »

Working great here.Did an on location session yesterday and all went smoothly.Recorded a solo piano project with an artist who wrote all the classical styled music that we recorded.Found a piano store in Portland,OR that offered it's performance hall for free complete with a freshly tuned 9'2" Schimmel.DP 7.2 worked flawlessly along with my Apogee Ensemble.Love the themes!!!BTW I have had only one "unexplained" crash since the 7.2 install.
Mac Mini 2.3 i7 Quad 16 gig RAM OS 10.10.1, Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.16 4 gig RAM 10.10.1, Digital Performer 8.07,Universal Audio Quad, Mackie Onyx 800R, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Omnisphere, RMX and Trilian,Komplete 9 Ultimate, Ivory I, BFD 2, Korg LCDE, Real Guitar, Real Strat, Ethno 2, Altiverb 7,True Pianos, Synplant, Microtonic, Dynaudio BM6a, Avantone Mix Cubes, Alphatrack, Mackie Big Knob,Yamaha KX-8,Yamaha KX-76,Axiom 25...and more.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

It seems to have illiminated one crash problem that I've been having since upgrading to Kontakt 4. Ever since I upgraded about 3 weeks ago, the system has been stalling at random intervals. But I used it for about an hour and a half the other day after upgrading to DP7.2, and it never stalled. There were a few 10second beachballs, but every time, the system would come back to life =)

Here's to hoping I haven't spoken too soon.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
jmc

Post by jmc »

I'm so excited to finally upgrade from 6.03 to 7.2! Is there any reason to uninstall 6.03 first before installing 7.2?
Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Max OS12.4 | DP 11.11
Mac Pro 2012 3.2 Quad Core OSX 10.14.6 VE PRO 7
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

No need to uninstall prior versions of DP. But if you sorted your MAS plugs in folders, you should put them all back in the main MAS folder. Personally, I like to get rid of my older versions pretty quickly after an upgrade, to avoid accidentally opening them.
zed

Post by zed »

I'm sorry to be the first one to announce this... but after 6 days of using DP 7.2, I have "reverted" to DP 7.12. I was finding 7.2 significantly more unstable and quitting unexpectedly during playback and other times where it wasn't being worked very hard.

In contrast, DP 7.12 is the most stable version I have used since DP 5.11 on a PowerMac. Sometimes I get a few seconds of beachball, but DP recovers and I can continue. In DP 7.2, the beach ball is often followed by a sudden quit.

Fortunately, you can reopen DP 7.2 projects in DP 7.12, so going back is a cinch. I have not had a crash yet, since reverting to 7.12 yesterday (working on the same projects, and without having restarted the computer when I made the switch).

I'll probably start a new thread to report this and a couple of bugs I have found in 7.2. But I thought I'd say that while DP 7.2 may be "working well" in most conditions, something has been introduced that makes it more finicky.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

What plugs? Thanks for the announcement.

Still working well here so go figure, right??? :shake: Some days I just will never get these DAWs. :surrender:

Still waiting for DP to make the absolute perfect DAW of the world so someday this place is more fun! :woohoo:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
zed

Post by zed »

James Steele wrote:What plugs? Thanks for the announcement.
Not sure that plugins have anything to do with it. Every crash was unique and totally unexpected. Crashing suddenly, in the middle of playback for example. I was unable to determine that any particular plugin was responsible since there was no consistency. I had some crashes with inserts, but was unable to replicate the crash when trying the same thing again after relaunching DP.

As for VIs, I use SampleTank, Kontakt 3, Kontakt 4, PLAY and others. Plugins include Abbey Road, Nomad Factory, Speakerphone, Amplitube and others. I really have no idea which might be helping to undermine DP.
James Steele wrote:Still waiting for DP to make the absolute perfect DAW of the world so someday this place is more fun! :woohoo:
We don't need a perfect DAW for this place to be fun.

Besides, stepping back to DP 7.12 is not a major thing. Fortunately, the versions are totally compatible and it is easy to go back and forth. When I am starting a new project, I will try DP 7.2 again. But for working on these older projects, DP 7.12 seems to be the best option to avoid surprises.
trock

Post by trock »

i also had one digital performer quit unexpectedly so far. however i do not have any idea if it was DP or a plug so i am just chalking it up to who cares for now, i will keep learning it

but i will watch and pay attention to my plugs now as i add them and sue them

and report back if need be

love this program
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

Hey Zed,

Sorry to hear about your crashes.
Sounds like your hardware is similar to mine.
Your sig shows OS 10.6.2... maybe update to 10.6.4?
Maybe you already have.
I'm trying to figure out what is up with your setup.

I just had a lovely week with DP7.2..... excellent performance and zero crashes.
For me, this is better than DP7.12.
Old sessions are opening better and life is good.
I'm not using the same plugs that you mention, but I am slamming the system with many VIs and plugs.
It was a big deal for me to start using it for paying sessions.
It didn't let me down at all.
5 days of relaxed reliability.

For me, 7.2 is working really well, still.
All is well
zed

Post by zed »

waterstrum wrote:Sorry to hear about your crashes.
Sounds like your hardware is similar to mine.
Your sig shows OS 10.6.2... maybe update to 10.6.4?
Maybe you already have.
I'm trying to figure out what is up with your setup.
Thanks waterstrum. I really have no idea what might be the issue. But perhaps you are right in suggesting that I update to 10.6.4. As my signature reports (correctly) I am still on 10.6.2. I suppose it is possible that they have updated something in DP which will work more properly with the latest version of Snow Leopard.

A little nervous to update though, since DP 7.12 has been behaving so reliably.

It could also be that most of my projects have been around for a while, saved through a few versions of DP. Perhaps fresh DP projects would behave more reliably, but I am tidying up older projects at the moment.

It could also be that either my 2408 MkIII or my 424 PCIe card are faulty. I have long suspected that my audio problems have been a result of one of these pieces of hardware being a little off. One of these days I will have to test my DP setup with a totally different audio system to see if the results are better.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

A little nervous to update though, since DP 7.12 has been behaving so reliably.
Clone your current setup before you upgrade for a worry-free trial run at 10.6.4 and DP7.2.
dogBoy

Post by dogBoy »

I jumped right in the water, 7.2 is working really well for me.
Kontakt is loading fast.... love the color schemes, funny how refreshing they
make the interface seem. Right click, now that is a time saver.
http://www.spoonwood.net
http://www.davidgennaro.com

2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo, 10.4.11, 3gigs ram, Ultralite 2 (good Box),Bunch of FireWire Drives, guitars guitars guitars, plugins plugins , mostly use Kontakt3
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

7.2 is working very well here, appears slightly more stable for my system than 7.12.

I say "slightly" because I had a couple crashes in 7.12 and I haven't had any with the same files in 7.2

I also updated Play and VE Pro at the same time, so it might be better because of those. Love the themes! I think I've settled on "Dark" for now. :mrgreen:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.