DP opens twice??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
tamara
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP opens twice??

Post by tamara »

I have a problem with DP 7. Every time I click on the icon in the dock or from the App menu, it opens two instances of DP7. I have tried updating to DP 7.11 and the same problem happens. I have tried un-installing and re-installing and the same problem happens.
Also, when I try to Force Quit one of the DP's, the one running I can't see any of the menus. They're all blank.

I am running an iMac i7 which is only 2 months old. I have Pro Tools 8.

I have been running DP7 last week with no problems, and I am unsure why this has started happening now.

Any ideas?
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP opens twice??

Post by Shooshie »

Could you give us some details? Look at our signatures; most of us have a lot of information in them that helps others diagnose our problems or at least to compare notes and see what's working for whom. We need to know what kind of mac you have (G5 or Intel), what OS, what drivers you're using (would be nice), and any other pertinent details.

That's a new one, by the way. I have never heard that problem -- ever!

Shooshie

[edit] oh… I now see that your iMac is only 2 months old. I guess that means you've got an Intel iMac. Probably running Snow Leopard, and probably a pretty recent version of it, right? Sorry for not noticing that earlier.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
tamara

Post by tamara »

Running OSX 10.6.3
iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
8G Memory

I did install East West Symphonic Choirs a few days ago. Not sure if that was it??? But I've been using older versions of EW Symphonic Choirs with DP5. Have never had this problem before...
iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, DP 7, Pro Tools 8.02, Sibelius 5, DIGI 002, EW Symphonic Choirs
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

Hello.
Have you updated PT recently? I had this issue when I updated to 8.03cs2.

I don't remember in detail how I have resolved that problem but I can search and post the result if it help you.

David
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Have you tracked this down to two installations? Or is the same installation of DP running "twice?" If it appears in the dock twice, click and hold on the icon and from the pop up, select reveal in finder. If you have two installs, delete on. Which one? Good question. It also depends on if you have two different versions running, which is possible. But the same install of a program running twice is extremely unusual. It could be an issue with your OS. Repair permissions and the disk by booting from the install disk that came with the machine. You should absolutely call MOTU and Apple about that. It can't be a good sign...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
tamara

Post by tamara »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Have you tracked this down to two installations? Or is the same installation of DP running "twice?" If it appears in the dock twice, click and hold on the icon and from the pop up, select reveal in finder. If you have two installs, delete on. Which one? Good question. It also depends on if you have two different versions running, which is possible. But the same install of a program running twice is extremely unusual. It could be an issue with your OS. Repair permissions and the disk by booting from the install disk that came with the machine. You should absolutely call MOTU and Apple about that. It can't be a good sign...
Thanks for your help. I think it's an issue with CoreMIDI.framework. Which is a folder that opens when I have both DP's running.

Yes it seems to be opening the same app twice. I've checked that I haven't installed it twice as it's sourcing the app from the same place.
Grigri wrote:Hello.
Have you updated PT recently? I had this issue when I updated to 8.03cs2.

I don't remember in detail how I have resolved that problem but I can search and post the result if it help you.

David
David, I am running PT 8.02, I would appreciate knowing how you solved this.

Cheers
iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, DP 7, Pro Tools 8.02, Sibelius 5, DIGI 002, EW Symphonic Choirs
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

I have seen this before... uninstall, trash everything, reinstall. Make sure you trash all preferences and everything, even the Auth file. Go to the finder and create a smart search. type Auth in the search field and a + sign will show, click on "kind" then click "other" a drop down will show and go to "file invisible" then click "invisable items" and when you do you'll see the Auth files for DP on the root of your directory. You can save this smart search in your finder for future reference. Then just reinstall DP as normal.
I run apogee for stability (mac only) so I don't know about your avid or protools issues, don't use them or need them.
Last edited by newrigel on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

tamara wrote:I think it's an issue with CoreMIDI.framework. Which is a folder that opens when I have both DP's running.

David, I am running PT 8.02, I would appreciate knowing how you solved this.
Yes it is related to CoreMidi. I'm not at my computer today but I remember that I have to zip all the MIDI drivers from digi.

They are in the folder Hard Drive/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers.

In my case (on the Macbook), I have Zip/Trash these drivers:
- DigidesignFireWireMIDI.plugin
- DigidesignMbox2MIDI.plugin
- DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin
- EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin

There is one more thing I have Zip/Trash. It is the Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin located in Hard Drive/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL

Once zipped, I have trash them and restart the computer.
(I use the zip "trick" in case I need these drivers one day...)

So I don't know which one was messing up... But It works now on my Macbook and Macpro.

I didn't try the MIDI on my Mbox after that, I only use PT for small editing and preparing sessions for the studios who work with PT.

I hope that you'll sort it out :D

David
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm on the outside looking in; I never heard of this problem before. Those of you who've seen it, do you have any clue as to what causes it to open 2 instances at once?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

Shooshie wrote: Those of you who've seen it, do you have any clue as to what causes it to open 2 instances at once?
In m'y case it's the second time that this issue appears. Each time, it was related to PT and some drivers problem

David
Grigrisound

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I had this in DP 5 I think (maybe 6). Don't recall what fixed it but it was on my drive that was rank with ownership and permissions problems.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bdr

Post by bdr »

I have also had this problem, as I have a couple of copies of Andy's mods current. Also quite often when I quit, DP will reopen of it's own accord. I have put this problem in the too hard basket.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

It's cause from a hosed up system! :mrgreen:
dwood3455

Post by dwood3455 »

I have had this happen before when DP loads the MAS Audio Unit driver at startup. It has been solved by deleting the Preferences file in the "Digital Performer™" folder in your User preferences folder. Sometimes it lasts for a couple weeks, sometimes a couple of months. Has not happened for quite some time now. Has never affected the performance of DP however.
Various analog front end gear-> Apogee Rosetta 800->Quadcore 2.2 GHz MBP/OSX 10.13.6->Rosetta->HR824's, Apogee Duet,Various FW HD's,
Yamaha CL5> Dante Virtual Soundcard> Mac mini, DP 10.01
tamara

Post by tamara »

Thanks guys.

I also got a response from MOTU.

Please quit DP and go to Mac HD > Users > Your Account (home icon) > Library > Preferences > Digital Performer. Temporarily move this folder to your desktop and launch DP 7.11.

This has fixed the problem.