DP7.1 success story

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Grigri
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP7.1 success story

Post by Grigri »

I want to report that I use 7.1 with no problem here in the chocolate country :D

I have first installed on my macbook and there was no bugs. I do have small project on it, nothing big. After reading a lot of problems here with 7.1, I was more than reluctant to make the jump on my macpro...
I have finally decided to make the jump (after a complete time machine backup, just in case...)

I have this observation, when I open an old project, I have to wait (3 to 4 minutes) while the background processing create overviews for the soundbite. For that period of time, DP is barely unusable but when it's done, it works fine.

I have pre-fill buffer unchecked, and the same for beat analysis. I have all plugins in real time and in mix mode, I run my 828 at 1024 for the buffer.

David
Last edited by Grigri on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
crduval

Re: 7.1 success

Post by crduval »

Hi all

First, I just want to say hello - I am a long time Performer user (from waaaayyy back), and have just gotten back into it after a long hiatus. I've upgraded from v3.1 (on OS9) to v7, and can't believe all the changes and improvements, not to mention to overall great quality of VIs, sounds, etc. It is a bit overwhelming sometimes, but I am getting up to speed fast, thanks to the manual, trial and error and this great forum. Its so nice that so many knowledgable people are willing to share advice.

7.1 is running well for me so far. I had a few glitches early on that I believe were associated with all the software installations that I have been doing getting the new system on line. (I had a few gray screens and folders with question marks -one or two safe mode boots and PRAM flushes got me back on line - but that was a little scary). If I were starting again from scratch I would have made sure to repair permissions and restart between each install.

Opening older files from DP3 works better than I expected, to be honest. I don't recall the 3-4 minute delays that David mentions, but some of these projects were relatively low track count and not really lengthy. Once I acknowledge the missing plug-ins and tweak the bundles (due to the difference between the ultralite and my old 2408mkII), I am good to go remix.

I haven't pushed it yet to the limits that many here have, but that will change very soon :lol: , but so far so good. DP3.1 ran so well on my old G4, my expectations are high.
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Grigri

Re: 7.1 success

Post by Grigri »

Crduval. When I have big project (more than 40 audio tracks), I have to wait for the first time I open it. For the small projects, the wait is short (less than a minute.
The second time I open the project, I can work right away because the processing is done.

I don't know if it helps but when I have upgraded to 7.1, I zip my old 7.02 (just in case) and trash the app. So there is only one DP app in my folder.

David
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -