Getting MIDI from Logic into Digital Performer?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FutureLegends
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Getting MIDI from Logic into Digital Performer?

Post by FutureLegends »

What's the easiest way?

When I choose 'Export selection as MIDI file' in Logic I get a .mid file (duh!). But Is there a way to get that MIDI information into an existing project/sequence?

If I open the MIDI file with DP (who then creates a new project) the 4 MIDI tracks from Logic are on like 20 tracks...

Gah!
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Frodo

Re: Getting MIDI from Logic into Digital Performer?

Post by Frodo »

I've always had to open a new project in DP using a Logic MIDI file first (whether or not AAF or OMF are involved. Then, I'll arrange/re-arrange the project so that its tracks behave according to plan. (That 4 tracks to 20 tracks sounds rather problematic! Yikes. Hadn't seen that before).

Once the "dummy" project is all set up, I'll create a DP clipping and then drag the clipping into an existing DP project.

I'm a few thousand miles from home (still) and may not be able to follow up for a couple more days on this, but I hope the clipping idea helps--- that is, unless someone else has a better idea. Transferring projects from one DAW to another can be very unpredictable, but the clippings approach seems to take the least amount of time on this end.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Thanks.
OMF with audio only has been working fine for me.

Yes, and they don't seem to be in the correct order either. If it was just to move them onto one track it would be easy. Now it looks to be almost random... God, I hate Logic!
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
elcappn

Post by elcappn »

Before exporting MIDI files from Logic, you first need to merge all of the regions on each track so you end up with 1 long region per track. After you export your 4 tracks from Logic, you will end up with only 4 tracks in DP.
Chris

2013 Mac Pro 3.5 6-Core 64GB of RAM, 27" Dell Display x 3, macOS 10.15.7, MOTU 1248, MTP AV, Yamaha S90-es, Dave Smith Prophet 12, OB-6 & Arturia Matrix Brute, DP 10.11, Dorico Pro 2, VEP7, All Oxford plugs, PSP, Pro-Q 3, Kontakt, SoundToys, Softube, Exponential Audio Phoenix Verb, R2, Nimbus & R4, LASS+LS, WIVI Brass+Winds, VSL Harps, Falcon, CineSamples, Spitfire, Output, Heavyocity, Scuffham.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

elcappn wrote:Before exporting MIDI files from Logic, you first need to merge all of the regions on each track so you end up with 1 long region per track. After you export your 4 tracks from Logic, you will end up with only 4 tracks in DP.
Ah! Thanks! I'll try that...

EDIT: That did the trick! Worked fine! Thanks again!