Pettinhouse Acoustic Guitar - awesome

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pettinhouse Acoustic Guitar - awesome

Post by David Polich »

I just finished downloading and installing the new Pettinhouse
"Acoustic Guitar" library.

Awesome. Hands down the best sounding sampled acoustic steel string
guitar I have ever heard. Called up the "Acoustic Finger"
patch, hit the low E - I was sold instantly. Actually, more than that -
I was floored. I'm not sure what guitar was sampled, but it sounds very much like a Taylor, recorded with great mics and mic preamps. Definitely sounds recorded and not "direct". Andrea claims it was recorded at
24 bit/96khz, and it definitely sounds like it. It's very bright, so if you're seeking an aged, darker sound this might not be the acoustic
for you. That said, it's always easier to remove high frequencies
with EQ than it is to add highs that aren't there to begin with.

The library contains a fingered guitar, picked guitar, and
strummed guitar. I highly recommend this...Andrea has come up with
another winner (and the rest of his guitar libraries are just as
good). 99 bucks.

http://www.pettinhouse.com
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Re: Pettinhouse Acoustic Guitar - awesome

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for the heads-up -- I was going to give this a pass, having recently bought the Taylor libraries from Lyrical Distortion, which I haven't had a chance to work deeply with yet.

Now I'll know to take the time to download and try the demo.

I own a Taylor auditorium model. I'll probably know instantly which model he sampled. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

Thanks for the headsup David!
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I just listened to the strum, plectrum, and fingerpick demos, and they're very impressive in terms of the details and nuances of multiple articulations on several strings and how the harmonics and sustains interact.

The consensus on vi-control seems to be that this is now the best acoustic guitar library from a player's perspective as well as sound-wise, but that RealGuitar may still prove useful when one needs some sort of auto-strum interpretation of basic close-chord playing.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
zed

Post by zed »

mhschmieder wrote:I was going to give this a pass, having recently bought the Taylor libraries from Lyrical Distortion, which I haven't had a chance to work deeply with yet.
Do you really think they are likely to be comparable? I've bought numerous of the $10 extravaganza guitars from Lyrical Distortion and none of them are very playable in Kontakt. There seems to be something wrong with the scripting or something on all those guitars.

The freebie Pettinhouse guitars, on the other hand, play like a charm in Kontakt. So I have a lot more faith that this acoustic guitar product will be of much better quality than those LD ones.
mhschmieder wrote:I own a Taylor auditorium model. I'll probably know instantly which model he sampled. :-)
Are you serious? I've been trying to convince myself that getting a great acoustic guitar sound is more about the attitude and skill of the player and that the actual "tone" of a guitar has less to do with it (mostly because I don't want to spend $2000-$3000 on a Taylor guitar at the moment). But if you think there is enough difference between the models that you could tell them apart, then maybe I shouldn't be short-changing myself in the tone department.

I wish I had a studio full of guitars. :-(
But at least I have a few. :-)
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I have the Taylor guitars from Lyrical Distortion, and all I can say is
I'm glad they were just 10 bucks apiece, because compared to Pettinhouse
(and even RealGuitar), that's about what they're worth. The LD guitars sound
"masked" and very "16-bit", and don't respond that well to playing.

I have until now relied on RealGuitar for my acoustic steel tracks, but
Pettinhouse will be taking over from here on out. It's absolutely the
king of sampled acoustic steel guitars, to my ears. The only possible
drawback is that it's just the one guitar, whatever that guitar is. I
have a Taylor 610, and I'm very familiar with the Taylor sound, and the
Pettinhouse sounds "Taylor-ish" to me. But for all I know, it could be a Gibson Dove or a new Takamine...I doubt it's a Guild, because those have
a distinctive darker tone.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, I'm sold. :-) No regrets on the LD stuff -- especially the rare stuff. But I'm glad I was cautious on the guitar and bass stuff from them.

Zed, my needs are a bit different from most people's, as my primary interest in acoustic guitar is Celtic music, which calls for the type of tone that the Taylor Auditorium series delivers, and which will also be well-served by the new Pettinhouse library.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, don't forget that the $69 introductory offer for prior Pettinhouse customers is only good through 6 December!

I didn't buy the Classic Guitar as I already have Vienna Instruments for that, and remain confused about the relationship of the Cavaquinho library to that (is it a subset, or a larger and more detailed version of the "Little Guitar" that comes with Classic Guitar?).

Also, the pricing, discounts, and combined offers relating to either of those options confused me (also their expiry dates), and as Andria says to write him for special two-fer deals, I'll probably do exactly that and place my faith in his Classic Guitar library at the same time.

Classical/Nylon guitars vary considerably in tone, and of course different contexts such as Gypsy music and Flamenco don't necessarily benefit from the same qualities as traditional Classical playing. So I think it can be advantageous to have multiple nylon guitar libraries.

charlesparente

Post by charlesparente »

I totally agree--sounds great. Purchased it last night.

I own a lot of guitar VIs/libraries, and this is definitely the most realistic acoustic steel sound to my ears, and have tons of experience with premium acoustic guitars to know what real sounds like.

Of course nothing sounds as realistic as a real acoustic guitar properly mic'd, but the whole point behind a VI is to quickly get the work done and keep things in MIDI without messing with mic setup and worrying that the phone will ring or my kids will start screaming at each other in the other room and an entire take has to be re-recorded.

I like RealGuitar's interface and MIDI control, and the strumming 'engine' is the best I've ever used---but the sound quality of the samples themselves is truly lacking, even with EQ/Altiverb added. I just can't get solo parts to sound realistic enough.

Sergey from musiclab says that 'MIDI out' will be implemented in an upcoming update to the AU version of RG. It's currently VST only.
So once that's available we DP users will have more interesting options.
Charles
http://www.dptips.net [...my very humble tribute to DP]

DP 8-latest version, Mac OS 10.9.4, MacMini 2012, 16GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN-2d, MOTU Micro-Lite usb MIDI interface, Vienna SE, VE Pro, Kontakt latest version, many Kontakt VIs and libraries.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

just ordered,this seems like a great library.
edited :
a user on VI-control said you can trigger PAG sounds with Real Guitar 2(enable MIDI send)Cubase user
just read the previous post by Charles,so it's not AU capable yet? bummer
if it works as well as he says this could be a great way to make RG sound better.
I hope they update this for AU ASAP!!
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

kgdrum wrote:just ordered,this seems like a great library.
edited :
a user on VI-control said you can trigger PAG sounds with Real Guitar 2(enable MIDI send)Cubase user
just read the previous post by Charles,so it's not AU capable yet? bummer
if it works as well as he says this could be a great way to make RG sound better.
I hope they update this for AU ASAP!!
RealGuitar is AU. Has been for a long time. Otherwise it wouldn't work in DP.

Pettinhouse Acoustic Guitar has to run inside Kontakt 2,3 or 4. You cannot run it as a standalone.

Yes, it is easy to export any of the RealGuitar MIDI files onto a desktop, then re-import those back into DP and use them to trigger PAG. However, those MIDI files are optimized for RealGuitar and its mapping, they do not take into account how PAG is mapped. So they may or may not work very well.
charlesparente

Post by charlesparente »

David Polich wrote:RealGuitar is AU. Has been for a long time. Otherwise it wouldn't work in DP.
I meant to say that the MIDI out feature of RG is currently in the VST version only---to be added [hopefully soon] to the AU version.
Sorry for any confusion.
Charles
http://www.dptips.net [...my very humble tribute to DP]

DP 8-latest version, Mac OS 10.9.4, MacMini 2012, 16GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN-2d, MOTU Micro-Lite usb MIDI interface, Vienna SE, VE Pro, Kontakt latest version, many Kontakt VIs and libraries.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

my bad,of course RG is AU,what I was trying to say is MIDI send function does not seem to be available in RG AU.
Please correct me if I am mistaken but I can't find this feature.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
jeepbird

Post by jeepbird »

charlesparente wrote:I totally agree--sounds great. Purchased it last night.
Me, too. Thank you for the very good recommendation.

I've been using Realguitar since it first launched. And Realstrat, too. Realguitar is great program but the sound of PAG just blew me away.

Cool! Heading to buy it now!
MacOS 10.14.6 / DP10.11 & DP9.52 + VEP Pro/ Macbook Pro 2018/ Benchmark DAC1 USB / RME FireFace UCX / Adam A7 / XV-3080
bdr

Post by bdr »

kgdrum wrote:my bad,of course RG is AU,what I was trying to say is MIDI send function does not seem to be available in RG AU.
Please correct me if I am mistaken but I can't find this feature.

Correct, it doesn't work as an AU.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.