Notion 3 users with Digital Performer

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Patricio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Notion 3 users with Digital Performer

Post by Patricio »

Hi i was just wondering if there are DP 6.0.2 users who use Notion 3 as their main Notation Program.
I'm using it now for a couple of days its nice and cheap, but still encountering some problems. Techsupport is fast i must say, expected the learning curve to be a little bit easier.
Your Tips and thoughts highly appreciated.
DP 10.13 , MACPRO Trashcan 2013 MACOS MOJAVE 10.4.6, Motu828X, MacBook Pro 2.1.6, MacPro, Machfive 3, Sampletank 4, Plugssound Pro,Yamaha MU128, Digitech GSP1101, MIDI Express 128, Studiophile BX8, Uviworkstation, Roland A33.OSX Motu Symphonic Instrument,Uvi Workstation. Kemper profiler Stage
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Notion 3 users with Digital Performer

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well at $250 you're not saving much over Sibelius ($350). Finale full version is $600 with academic pricing at $350. I didn't realize it got that high.

I don't think this is going to be a productive place to get the kind of info you want. The site is dedicated to MOTU and Digital Performer, and your questions are clearly for Notion 3.

If support is fast and it's a good program, then what kind of questions/issues are you concerned with specifically? If they're not related to composing, songwriting or orchestration they will probably go unnoticed here. Sorry. Then again... I've been wrong before and I could be wrong again. Maybe there are a mash of composers using Notion.

Reminds me of a recent question on 'how to compose for film in DP.' No one, real way to answer that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Patricio

Post by Patricio »

MIDI Life Crisis,

thanks for your honest answer.
I ordered it from Sweetwater they have a great deal at the moment.
Because i'm at the moment on a small budget the price was excellent compared to the other 2 Big names. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Notion3/
Maybe a tip for those looking for a Notation PGR.
I know its an open question but i was just curious if there are DP users with the program on Motunation and how they work with it.
After a few days i can see its a very nice PGR it has a learning curve, but i will get it.
DP 10.13 , MACPRO Trashcan 2013 MACOS MOJAVE 10.4.6, Motu828X, MacBook Pro 2.1.6, MacPro, Machfive 3, Sampletank 4, Plugssound Pro,Yamaha MU128, Digitech GSP1101, MIDI Express 128, Studiophile BX8, Uviworkstation, Roland A33.OSX Motu Symphonic Instrument,Uvi Workstation. Kemper profiler Stage
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIUW, I found the Sibelius learning curve impossible. Maybe because I've used Finale since 1996 and know it so well. OTOH, I learned the program for the most part in three days back then. Once the motor repetition kicks in (what button to reach for and where to find it) I guess they're all pretty much the same. I think Finale allows for more flexibility and detailed notation - and not without it's problems! But others wear by Sibelius and I'm sure by Notion.

Again, it's only a conveyance.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I continue to promote Notion, but usually to deaf ears. I also find recommendations for Encore go unheard. It's akin to suggesting an Operating System other than Windows or Mac OS X. :-)

Notion is more composer-friendly as that is their orientation, but I've never seen a full feature chart comparison of the main notation apps. I can't install version 3, which was free for version 1 and version 2 owners, until I get a new computer, as I only have 4-5 GB left on my G4 iMac even after deleting all unneeded files and/or moving whatever I can to external drives. It has changed quite a bit from version 2, so I may not be of much help if the questions are about the plentiful new features.

Do you have some specific questions regarding interoperability and/or import/export between DP and Notion? Or are your questions related primarily to the use of Notion apart from DP, for composing/notating?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

> also find recommendations for Encore go unheard<

Now that Encore finally works - I mean really works for the first time ever, it's worth looking at - but not for professional notation.

Encore is best for down and dirty notation such as praise band or a quick choral arrangement. I use it for the quick stuff but do any complicated work in Finale.

The other church musician in the house uses it exclusively while my daughter uses Finale only.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

I use Notion. Very good in some ways, but rigid in others. Currently many items can't be moved left and right or sometimes at all. I really like the staff-sequencer option. I have mixed feelings though and kinda regret buying it. I'm annoyed that it didn't include a single nylon-string guitar option, instead asking another $50 for the add-on. It does look promising though and has some benefits over Sibelius / Finale (and other major downsides).

I actually have been using the FREE open-source MuseScore program more and more these days. It's worth checking out! (I just posted more about it in the Finale 2011 topic)
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mhschmieder wrote: Notion is more composer-friendly as that is their orientation, but I've never seen a full feature chart comparison of the main notation apps.
How is that? Do they use a different approach? What makes it more composer-friendly?

Or do you mean it's just "more friendly", as in easier to use?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

FMiguelez wrote:
mhschmieder wrote: Notion is more composer-friendly as that is their orientation, but I've never seen a full feature chart comparison of the main notation apps.
How is that? Do they use a different approach? What makes it more composer-friendly?

What it means is that Notion is easy to use, interface-wise. Currently this is at the expense of less flexibility for engraving details. This statement is a way for them to excuse the fact that it isn't so great for publishing. Great for entering and hearing notes but mixed for publishing means good for composers (instead of for publishers).
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

stickwolf wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:

What it means is that Notion is easy to use, interface-wise. Currently this is at the expense of less flexibility for engraving details. This statement is a way for them to excuse the fact that it isn't so great for publishing. Great for entering and hearing notes but mixed for publishing means good for composers (instead of for publishers).
Ok. I see what you mean.

It's just that the phrase "composer friendly" sounds as if the other apps are not for composers or not friendly.
So it's just easier to use because it's simpler by not having some (many?) features.

Oh, and BTW. I visited Notion's site and this is SO COOL! Dr. Jack Jarrett used to be Berklee College of Music's Chairman of the Composition department. I took a few courses with him 8)
I seemed to have read long ago that Notion was HIS baby. I just confirmed it :)

He was always very fluent with computers and programming. I remember he also programmed computers for the Conducting courses.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yep, stickwolf got it right. But also the interface is more DIRECT in terms of workflow, in that it involves fewer keystrokes to compose linearly vs. having to "organize" one's notation order in a task-centric way (for efficiency). I find that I better preserve my ideas and intent that way.

With other notation programs, I feel compelled to write it all down on paper first, as the workflow is liable to make me start forgetting my ideas. But once you are more advanced on those apps, you MAY have all the shortcuts memorised. I use a gazillion apps at home and at work, so do not have the mental capacity to remember so many app-specific shortcuts.

Yes, I probably came across Dr. Jarrett in a previous life as well (we were trying to figure that out when I spoke to him at either AES or NAMM a few years ago), having attended both Berklee School of Music and Indiana University at times when he was active in either location.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I just installed Notion 3 and Progression on my new Mac Pro, and both crash at startup, before the authorization agent even kicks in.

Does anyone know if these programs are 64-bit compatible yet? Maybe I need to reboot in 32-bit mode?

I can't afford to take the time right now to set up a forum account and surf for answers, so was just wondering if anyone know the quick answer.

My install discs are over a year old. Neither would install on my G4 iMac due to requiring more disc space than I had. I had hoped to just download the latest installers, but am in a bit of a chicken-or-egg situation regarding eligibility as I haven't registered the original copies, having never been able to install them.

I'm not in a rush, but was hoping to get all my main programs installed and operational BEFORE installing and authorizing plug-ins and VI's. I guess I'll just focus on the latter for now, and revisit the Notion Music products when I get back from vacation next week.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I just received an email about a new Notion 3 update this afternoon.

As of 4am, I had finally finished installing, authorizing, and verifying, all of my plug-ins, so the only thing left at this point is to install and authorize/verify my three Adobe apps (Lightroom, Illustrator, and Photoshop).

Thus, I can probably start hunting down info about Notion 3 issues starting tomorrow. It may be that in going to a new system, while they have divested of iLok protection, is presenting a conflict at initial launch time and thus preventing me from punching in my authorization code.

Feature-wise, it looks like there's some good stuff in the latest Notion 3 update. Right now they seem to be focusing on the needs of the jazz crowd, and have some new tutorial videos.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good News:

This update to Notion 3 that was posted (and re-posted with corrections) yesterday, fixes all of my problems! It asks for authorization codes during installation, so it launched without problems once installed.

Now that I can FINALLY use Notion 3 (I couldn't load it on my G4 iMac as it required too much disc space on initial installation), I can see that it folds in Progression's tablature view and sound set, so I deleted my non-working Progression and stopped worrying about how to get it to work (checking their forum, it's clear it's been abandoned, for now, anyway).

I notice they've improved DAW integration with this release. They also have done some work to make it function properly with Vienna Instruments PRO, and have some Vienna Special Edition templates that also make it easier to use that as the sound source vs. the built-in LSO samples.

There is an updated sound set for Notion 3 as well, which I downloaded overnight but didn't have a chance to install before work this morning.