motu fw/usb driver 1414 problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
wester
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

motu fw/usb driver 1414 problem

Post by wester »

Hi all

My 828mkII FW was working fine with driver ver 1394 until I downloaded ver 1414.
When I restart after software installation, win prompts the new hardware found message, I accept install automatically and then I get the message (translation from spanish) "This hardware cannot be installed. There was a problem during hardware installation Motu Audio. The system cannot find the file."
I tried to reinstall ver 1394 and 1414 back and forth, several times, several ways, I get the same message.

Any ideas?
I appreciate your help

My system:
MOTU 828mkII Firewire
Win xp pro sp3
Pentium 4 3Ghz
RAM 3Gb
wester

Re: motu fw/usb driver 1414 problem

Post by wester »

Problem solved (almost).
I used System Restore to revert my system to a previous state and it did work.
Now my 828mkII is working again but with ver 1394 drivers.
I won't dare upgrade to ver 1414 (well... I will)
I still wonder what happened.
Any suggestions?
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

The best way to uninstall motu drivers is to first check the driver version you have installed via the MOTU Audio Console, then use THAT exact installer version to uninstall (run it as if trying to install the software) works every time! xD
wester

Post by wester »

Among all methods I tried, I'd dare say that I did try the way you tell me. However, maybe needs a second chance.
Thank you

www.wester.eu.kz
kazaamblam

Post by kazaamblam »

I ahve a similar issue. Install crashes, then have issues uninstalling too. looks installed, but it ain't.
Really really frustrating.
kazaamblam

Post by kazaamblam »

When I run the driver install it says there is software missing that the installer needs to run.
Does anyone know what this would be? It also won't uninstall for apparently the same reason... It all looks installed, but won't detect the 828mkII when I plug it in. Which heavily bums me out.
And I can't uninstall it either!
Which is always the clincher in a bad time.
Someone please respond with some help, I'm losing my patience with it... I bought the new computer cos I have lots of work I need to get done!
cheers
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

you might not have all the old files removed. I had this situation with an attempted roll back and I could not install the old asio drivers. So I checked the properties of the file installed (mfwasio in this case, as I recall) and found that the version I had been trying to remove was still there and the old one would not install over it. Deleting it took care of it.

Motu's uninstall routines are some of the worst I've ever seen. The only reliable way I found is to uninstall via control panel and manually remove any Motu files, and then manually remove all entries in the registry to Motu. This is a particular pita since there are close to 700 entries that are not cleaned out when you un-install.
1nput0utput
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by 1nput0utput »

Mark S wrote:Motu's uninstall routines are some of the worst I've ever seen. The only reliable way I found is to uninstall via control panel and manually remove any Motu files, and then manually remove all entries in the registry to Motu. This is a particular pita since there are close to 700 entries that are not cleaned out when you un-install.
I've never had to do that. It works normally for me. In fact, I don't have to uninstall anything. I just run the installer for the version I want, reboot, open MOTU Audio Console, and confirm that the right version number appears. Driver version numbers for the MOTU devices in Device Manager also match. Maybe you're over-reacting.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Are you upgrading or doing a roll-back? I've done the same thing you suggest doing roll-backs and still find tons of artifacts: driver files left behind, directories not cleared, registry full of trash,...And newer artifacts will not let the older version install. And you really can't talk to Motu about any of this since they always tell you to use the latest driver first thing. Well, the latest drive has twice the latency of the old one I use. I don't want it.

I'm not nonchalant about any of this. I tend to get things working to my satisfaction and leave things alone. Like they are now.
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

See my reply here that references a Cakewalk forum that explains this lingering driver issue with the MOTU uninstall process.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 47#p296747

Regs,
Jeff