Third Party 1394 bus controller drivers for XP and Vista

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Iceblade
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Third Party 1394 bus controller drivers for XP and Vista

Post by Iceblade »

Thanks, HotShot. I'll try to try these out tonight, but what Mark is saying about why ASIO is not working has me concerned. I really need to see if there is something else trying to use the ASIO driver when I try to load Reaper or my Drum Samples stuff using Kontact.

Thanks,
Jeff
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

FYI, I found my issue:

SUCCESS! I now have ASIO support back and there IS a known issue with this. Thanks to Google and the Cakewalk forum for this info:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1424 ... 2&#1579251

After installing the driver... and then turning on the MOTU, Windows will need to finish loading the WDM/ASIO/GSIF/etc drivers for the unit. This is normal behavior (no matter what the manual might say )

If you reload the 3.6.7.4 drivers, you'll have to manually remove the (newer) "mfwaasio.drv" file from the Windows/System32 folder before installing them (the uninstall routine doesn't get rid of it... and it's not backwards compatible).

I uninstalled 3.6.7.4, rebooted. Removed the MOTU folder from Program Files and then removed the ASIO driver from windows/System32. Rebooted. Re-installed 3.6.7.4. Rebooted. Went through the Windows setup as it found my "new hardware" and TA-DA! I have everything back with hopefully fewer/no pops clicks and whistles.

Hope this helps someone else having issues.

Regards,
Jeff
Last edited by Iceblade on Fri May 22, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Hey icblade, the cakewalk link is broken. I'd like to find it. Can you fix it?

thanks
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

Should be fixed now, Mark. Let me know if it's still fubared.

Regs,
Jeff
MidusTouch

Post by MidusTouch »

here hoping some one is still watching this post..

ok a few days ago i had a problem with my drivers for my new firewire card.. reformatted and thats all good to go now.. i went a bought a cheep 1394 card that had a ti chip as i heard that was the most stable..

but the problem now is.. the motu cant be slected for audio.
its very weird.. i do the install of the drivers.. restart.. plug the motu in power it on and bam new device.. load drivers.. i do it as the steps with the driver tell me and then once it is done.. if you go to sound in control panel.. nothing is there..you you go to tha last tab you can see the motu drivers and it says its connected to the ti card.. but on the main audio tab it says "no audio device"..its has the audio 1-2 3-4 etc.. for out puts.. but on the main tab it says no audio device.. when i go to the arrow to see what devices are hooked up.. no motu to be seen.. but it had to see it to activate to load the drivers.. anyone know why it leaving after the install of the drivers? i was thinking maybe im having the issue with the firewire port going bad on the motu.. but i dont think that can be it.. because after a clean install of drivers and i hook it up for the first time it sees it because it asks to load the drivers.. it must be something im doing wrong with the drivers install but im using the steps that came with the firewire driver i took of the motu site..

i re formatted yet again.. installed drivers.. once i cut the unit on the cpu saw it.. asked me to load the drivers.. did so.. and then nothing.. you go to the sound profile in widows and you can see the audio out set to motu 1-2 and you go to the hardware tab and its shows the motu drivers and shows it hooked up with no problem to my ti firwire card.. but on the first tab where you can go to advanced and select the volume etc.. its say no device found.. ???

im using windows xp pro on a dual core p4 gateway machine.. ive used the pci card firwrie card i have as well as the onboard ones..im using 15 ft firewire cords as well.
noisegate95

Post by noisegate95 »

I too was having the dropouts, device not recognized, etc. on my brand new 828mk3 interface. Every reboot, the interface was not found. I had to uninstall the drivers, and reinstall using the very lengthy process reboot after reboot to get it back. After reading all the info on this board I decided to throw in a 3 port Agere Firewire PCI card, instead of using the built in TI ports on my motherboard. Still had the same issues.
I have since downloaded and installed the AVT firewire drivers on my XP SP3 machine and use their rivers instead of Windows. Complete re-install of the drivers including keeping the firmware at 1.06. So far after 2 days, it seems to be holding up with no squeals, and countless reboots, testing turning on the PC with the interface off\on and all kinds of different boot up variations. So far so good. I have about 3 weeks left on the return policy from American Musical Supply where I purchased it, so I will test another week, and update the post, if anyone is still reading it. If I still have the same issue, I am going for the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Stay tuned.
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Midus,

What DAW are you using?
Mike Rocha
http://www.mikerocha.ca
Custom ADK, Quad 3.0ghz, 4gig ram, Win7 64-bit, Motu 3.6.7.3 x64 drivers
Macbook Pro 13" touchbar, High Sierra, 73220 drivers
Motu 896 x 4
MidusTouch

Post by MidusTouch »

using cubase 5
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Midus,

You've mentioned the trouble in getting Windows to recognize the MOTU, but have you had any luck getting Cubase 5 to recognize it? Also, are you able to open the MOTU control panel?
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
MidusTouch

Post by MidusTouch »

yes windows will not use the card.. its shows up in the hardware section but it wont allow sounds to play through.. i cant use cue control but the options where i select to use stero outs for windows is there as well as setting the other controls adat etc etc... i wasnt working with cubase either.. no movement on the meters.. tried the same thing on another cpu and the same issue
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

Noisegate,

Best of luck in finding a solid interface on Windows. Please let us know what you end up with so that those of us that are beyond frustrated with the MOTU gear can get an idea of what DOES work with this OS. Thanks!

Regards,
Jeff
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

MidusTouch wrote:it wasnt working with cubase either.. no movement on the meters..
A few points:

1. Did you actually go into the Devices -> Device Setup -> VST Audio System -> and Select "MOTU Audio ASIO"? If you haven't already, then do this.

2. At this point I'm not too concerned that Windows isn't seeing the MOTU. The Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices window has no control over which audio card is used within Cubase. In other words, the Sound and Audio Devices settings deal with Windows playback (i.e. standard WinXP sounds, internet/youtube videos, etc), however it does not control what Cubase is using.

3. You should be able to open the MOTU Audio Setup panel, which is a dedicated control panel (not to be confused with CueMix) which controls sample rate, among other things. It should be here: Start Menu -> MOTU -> MOTU Audio Setup. Can you access this?
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
MidusTouch

Post by MidusTouch »

TheRealRoach wrote:
MidusTouch wrote:it wasnt working with cubase either.. no movement on the meters..
A few points:

1. Did you actually go into the Devices -> Device Setup -> VST Audio System -> and Select "MOTU Audio ASIO"? If you haven't already, then do this.

2. At this point I'm not too concerned that Windows isn't seeing the MOTU. The Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices window has no control over which audio card is used within Cubase. In other words, the Sound and Audio Devices settings deal with Windows playback (i.e. standard WinXP sounds, internet/youtube videos, etc), however it does not control what Cubase is using.

3. You should be able to open the MOTU Audio Setup panel, which is a dedicated control panel (not to be confused with CueMix) which controls sample rate, among other things. It should be here: Start Menu -> MOTU -> MOTU Audio Setup. Can you access this?
1. i belive i did.. but i had such bad luck with windows that i may have not.. i will try again tonight

2.cool.. thats good to know

3. i can open that.. and i see all of that.. i cant use cuemix so thats the open program that opens.

my only issues with the windows thing that i think go me caught up was i was able to use the card with windows the first time i install it.. until i went and reformated and then all my problems started there.. i will re install tonight and see what i can come up with
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Midus,

Regarding point #3: Within the MOTU Audio Setup window you should be able to change the MOTU's sample rate. Try changing it to various settings and watch that the display on the MOTU hardware changes as well. For example, if your MOTU hardware is reading a 44100Hz sample rate, try changing it to 88200Hz and see if the Hardware registers that change. Report back with what happens.
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
MidusTouch

Post by MidusTouch »

I dont know if its me using the 3.74 drivers.. or just time.. as i havent even tried to install it in about a week and a half but kind sir.. im back in action card is working fully.

I cant even begint to explain how happy i am.

So another question I would get a poping sound from the card sometime.. and id have to wiggle and wiggle the volume knob until i found the right spot for non poping sound. Is that one of the issues the sp2 and sp3 firwire drivers caused? or does that seem more mechanical?