New desktop with Vista 64. Wipe and install Windows 7?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
zerocrossing
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New desktop with Vista 64. Wipe and install Windows 7?

Post by zerocrossing »

Hey,

I'm the proud owner of a desktop that came with Vista 64 bit on it and I'm wondering if I'd be better served by installing Windows 7. My audio interface is a MOTU 828. Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark S
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: New desktop with Vista 64. Wipe and install Windows 7?

Post by Mark S »

I'd wait until they actually release W7 before I'd do that. Dual Boot anyone?
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

Sigh. I was able to get the 828 up and running with Vista, but I've run into so many issues with every plug in I've tried to install that it's really bumming me out. How the hell did MS let this happen? The mind boggles. I wish I could find a single person who's been successful running Windows 7, an 828 and some basic commercial plugs such as Amplitube, Kore, etc.
Ahkatootin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Ahkatootin »

Hi there,

Can you tell us more about the 828 to have working in vista 64? What model is it and does it use firewire or USB connections?

Thanks
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

Sure, I've been neck deep in Vista 64 land and I have news to report now that I have a system that's working really well, I figured I'd share so that maybe it saves someone else some leg work. If you're looking for a sub $1000 usd PC for music that plays nicely with a MOTU 828 firewire interface, this one works like a charm:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/desktops/ ... _420&s=gen

So far, Vista 64 has not a show stopper on anything but my IK Multimedia Stealthpedal (they're working on 64 bit drivers but they're not out yet). Also bone up on installation quirks as many C/R systems (Hi IK and Spectrasonics!) had issues until I did things like move my VST folder and made it writable. Also running Live 8 as an administrator and turning of UAC is a must. Just don't go web surfing on the machine.

Maybe I would have saved some heartache if I had gone Windows 7, but now that I've got it all worked out and running, I'm happy overall.
DJ Synchro
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by DJ Synchro »

My experience with Windows 7 (Currently running version 7229 x64) is extremely positive. Also all drivers which worked with Vista will most likely work as well on Windows 7 since the driver model hasn't changed.
Also the performance of W7 is way better than Vista. Not only of your DAW, but also all your other software runs much smoother and faster. I use Windows 7 as my main OS for quite some time now and I will never go back to Vista... ever...
LINKS: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Studio

GEAR LIST: Intel Core i7 3820 computer with 12GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz RAM. Asus P9X79 Motherboard. 3x Crucial M4 SSDin RAID 0. Dual Full HD monitors. PCI424 with MOTU 24IO. MOTU MIDI Express 128 USB. Steinberg Cubase Pro 8. Various VST plugins. Steinberg Houston DAW controller. Clavia Nord Rack 2x. Yamaha CS-1X. Behringer Eurodesk MX2442. Akai s2000 sampler. Roland MC-303 Groovebox. Various outboard.