Has anyone heard from MOTU re: terrible MIDI?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Has anyone heard from MOTU re: terrible MIDI?

Post by toodamnhip »

Re: rediculous MIDI stuck notes and controller 64 problems
etc....
I would like to start this thread to see who has talked to tech support..what has anyone heard, does tech support know there is a big problem, what is tech support recommending?...anyone talked to Apple about their MIDI protocol?...anyone have a clue?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
instacue

Re: Has anyone heard from MOTU re: terrible MIDI?

Post by instacue »

I spoke at length 2 days ago with Nathan at MOTU tech support - He had me do extensive testing: trashing various preferences and unplugging all usb and firewire devices. The notes still stuck even in the virtual synths. When I ran DP 4.12, instantly all the MIDI worked perfectly.

I tried MIDI Driver 1.2.2 with DP 4.52 - no improvement.
Nathan e-mailed me an updated old MIDI driver yesterday "1.2.2 3", which also didn't fix anything.

MIDI driver 1.2.4d2 works perfectly with DP 4.12

Nathan, at least, knows that there is a problem. I'm not sure how "big" MOTU in general thinks this problem is. That's why I've been reccommending for weeks that we all call them and let them know. It's a total deal breaker for me...

It's clearly not an OS thing because DP 4.12 works fine.

--DP 4.52, Mac G4 Dual 1.4 Gig, 2 Gig ram, Sys 10.2.8, Aurora Igniter LT pci card, 2408 optical in and out to Apogee AD-8000, Apogee DA16, 3 MTP AV USBs, MTP II, MidiExpress 128. 12 SampleCell cards on Nubus Mac, 2 GigaStudio PCs, Aardsync II word clock house sync, Mach V, Stylus RMX
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I have also talked with MOTU tech several times and at this point I am tired of going thru all the "usual" suggestions because nothing fixes the problem. I also emailed them the other day to express my frustration and the hope that they are working on this. (Haven't heard back from my email)

I too suggest that EVERYONE with this problem give tech support a call or email. Let them know this is a fairly widespread thing.
Bruce Zimmerman
Sound Productions/ZimMusic Library

MacPro 3.3 6 core, Yosemite/Lion, DP 8, MTPAV, MOTU 828mkIII, Spectrasonics VIs, Ivory 2, Mach V2 3, Vienna, Ethno 2, Lots of Play VIs, etc

In your eyes, the light, the heat
bradswan
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bradswan »

I too have had the MIDI hell experience. I have done the extensive work through with Motu also, although I did get some improvement from usb1.2.2. Maybe it's coincidence. I'm still having stuck notes and sudden random notes popping in. Who out there is having these issues and using Stylus RMX? Also; the way these notes pop in sounds as if the audition click in the click and count off window suddenly pops in. I'm going to turn that function off to see if that has something to do with it. Why Motu hasn't addressed this yet is just bizarre.
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 5gigs ram, OSX.6.1, DP 7.02 Apogee ADX 16, Mytec DAC, Mackie MCU, MTP-AV, Stylus RMX, Ivory, EWQL, Plug Sound Pro, Mach V, Reason, MX4, Ethno-instrument, Virtual Guitarist2, Do I really need all this stuff? UAD-1,2, Waves L3, PSP, Altiverb, Neodynium, AT 5 various other plugz.
ccgstudio

Post by ccgstudio »

I too have MIDI problems and have had for a while. One thing I did try that had some success was to check that the MIDI keyboard controller was only putting out one MIDI channel. Some of these controller keyboards (I use the Roland A50) put out up to four. In Zones. Check yours and see if it helps. I put the A50 into solo mode and put the zone key limit to C0 lower limit and C0 upper limit.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

As the originator of this thread, I would ask all to try what the MOTU site says as far as using clockworks to mute realtime, other interference prone data and also make sure the synths online are not sending out clock etc. It is under the tech support under MIDI loops....put in a search under MIDI....everyone let me know if it helps doing whats suggested ...it did not help my MIDI..my newest problem is my MOTIF 6 drums totally sucking with timing problems...the MOTIF seems more susceptable to MIDI problems than other interfaces
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
fyrshroud

Post by fyrshroud »

Didn't someone report that Yamaha admitted a possible MIDI jam with the Motif? Thought I saw it on a thread somewhere.
Fyrshroud
SD Productions
jlafferty

Post by jlafferty »

Hey All,

This thread is particularly important for me. I have client who I am putting a new DAW together for, he uses DP for his MIDI and PT for his audio. He has a ton of rack synths and also wants to go the virtual synth route.

Before I load up DP4.5 under Panther for him, I would prefer to hear from other folks who may be having the same issues, and hopefully some who are working just fine under 4.5 with their MIDI.

I have a Yamaha S-80 and I have had similar MIDI issues since DP 2.7. The keyboard itself just does not behave well while sending and receiving. After much research and careful back to back reading of the manuals, I too, made the repeated calls to MOTU and got "hmmm, our S-80 doesn't do THAT here"

is everybody here having difficulty with a Yamaha keyboard?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Dual Boot DP 1Ghz/DP3.11/DP5.11/ RME Fireface 800/
Powercore/UAD Ultrapack/PSP/EAS/
Dynaudio BMP6A's/Summit, Sytek, Art...etc
------------------------------------------
Percussionarts
http://www.percussionarts.com
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

MIDI timing is sucking in 4.52.
Simple quantized patterns now drift.
MOTU please give us rock solid time/stamped MIDI.
All is well
sonus

Post by sonus »

MIDI is simply fine in 4.5 with me .

DP 4.5, OSX 10.3.7 , MOTU MIDI Express, Spectrasonics , Reason, SampleTank , Virus C etc.

I have some stuck notes every now and then with Trilogy only but command-1 is the solution whenever this happens.

What I would like to have though is more solid sync between my H/D recorder and DP using MTC.
But I guess this is not a MOTU issue only...
MacPro 5.1 2x3.46 twelve core, 64Gig, OSX 10.15, Mac Studio Max 32Gig, DP11.13, RME HDSPe FX, Softube Console 1 & Fader, UAD-2 quad, Soundtoys v5, UVI Falcon 3.0, GForce Mellotron & String Machine , Waves Rennaissance...
jlafferty

Post by jlafferty »

One more question...

It seems those on 4.5 are fine, those on 4.52 are not.

Can you guys please edit your posts and include the version of OS X and the version of DP you are using? This may help us get to the bottom of it.

Jeff
Dual Boot DP 1Ghz/DP3.11/DP5.11/ RME Fireface 800/
Powercore/UAD Ultrapack/PSP/EAS/
Dynaudio BMP6A's/Summit, Sytek, Art...etc
Percussionarts
http://www.percussionarts.com
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

MIDI in 4.5.2 and 10.3.8 has been perfect with me, i had all my bad MIDI problems with 4.5
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
Kevin Kliesch

Post by Kevin Kliesch »

To answer the main question of this thread, I had MOTU's west coast rep come to my studio a couple of weeks ago, and I made him aware of the problem. If only Nathan at MOTU knows about this, then I may have to give the rep a call and ask him if he actually talks to the company that employs him...
instacue

Post by instacue »

As I said on another thread, after determining the conflict by process of elimination, when the MachFive plugin is removed from the plugins folder (Library/Audio/Plugins) and DP 4.52 is rebooted, everything works great, no stuck notes, at least on my setup.

MachFive and everything else works fine on DP 4.12

I've told MOTU this, and asked when they'll have a fix available - who knows?

So for now, DP4.52 works great with no stuck notes as long as I don't need to use MachFive.

--DP 4.52, Mac G4 Dual 1.4 Gig, 2 Gig ram, Sys 10.2.8, Aurora Igniter LT pci card, 2408 optical in and out to Apogee AD-8000, Apogee DA16, 3 MTP AV USBs, MTP II, MidiExpress 128. 12 SampleCell cards on Nubus Mac, 2 GigaStudio PCs, Aardsync II word clock house sync, Mach V, Stylus RMX
cody

Post by cody »

I've been using 4.52 on my dual 800 (OS 10.3.8) with my 2 MTPAVs for about a week with no MIDI problems. Today I installed a new 2408 (with a 424 card, replacing my old 324 card) and then I started a new project. I was making some custom samples for the gig and booted Mach5 for the first time in OSX this afternoon. After an afternoon of productive work, I started getting some weird sustain problems on my 5080 in the evening. This was followed by some weird doubling of the piano track in gigastudio! I wasn't sure if it was a heat issue or something - the new 2408 is right above the MTPAVs. Then I read all of your wonderful people's posts, and I'm hoping to god it's Mach 5......I'll try removing it tomorrow - I can live without Mach5 until they fix this, but I can't live with this random MIDI!!!

Thanks all...
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)