Proverb for DP 5. xx

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mediabot
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Proverb for DP 5. xx

Post by mediabot »

Is Proverb offered as a separate plug for DP 5? (Or AU plug in general ... ?)

Sorry if this has been already discussed. But I searched it out and nada. I realize the answer is going to be "no", to get people to upgrade to 6. But since I hear that Native Instrument VIs, Tiger and PPC macs don't play well with DP 6 I am going to wait.

Thanks

'bot
G5 2x2.7, 3.5 Gig, 250HD, Fastlane, Korg Wavestation, DP5.11, Absynth 4, Intakt, FM7/8, EWQLSE, Massive, Reaktor 5, and more
kassonica

Re: Proverb for DP 5. xx

Post by kassonica »

Nope.

It's part if the DP6 upgrade and is not sold separately.

DP6 is working for some (me included) and it's not the beast you may of been led to believe, plus an update may not be that far away.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mediabot wrote: But since I hear that Native Instrument VIs, Tiger and PPC macs don't play well with DP 6 I am going to wait.
It's LEOPARD.... not Tiger. I'm using Native Instruments VIs, on PPC with Tiger and it plays FINE!! It's when you add LEOPARD to that mix... not Tiger.

This is important to correct because we don't need incorrect information being spread out there.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mediabot

Post by mediabot »

Thanks for the info. So an upgrade to DP 6 can happen. Its Leopard I need to wait for. I hope they solve the issues soon, as I would kind of like to have leopard. But, DP is far more important for me so early adoption (or by now late adoption regarding Leopard) is not an option.

Hey, that rhymed! I'm a poet and I realize it.
G5 2x2.7, 3.5 Gig, 250HD, Fastlane, Korg Wavestation, DP5.11, Absynth 4, Intakt, FM7/8, EWQLSE, Massive, Reaktor 5, and more
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Edited as "not as funny as I thought." :|
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I have 6.01 on Tiger on a 2 GHz MacBook and while there are a host of bugs (that I'm keeping my fingers crossed will get addressed in the next update), like track freezing problems, etc., I've had no problems using B4 II or FM8 (or SampleTank or Minimonsta or Papen soft synths or PLAY) whatsoever. A PPC might have a few problems, though, especially with the pre-rendering, since I think 6 is skewed more towards dual-core processors and requires a bit more RAM and processing power than a PPC might be able to provide. Still, the setup is flexible enough that you can bypass the pre-rendering and use it the same way you use 5.1.3, so it might not be an issue.

As I've stated on another post, while Pro Verb seems like an ideal addition to the MOTU plug-in set, it has no presets of its own (though it does come with a host of factory-installed reverb impulses and the ability to load outside impulses) and many of the rooms, halls and plates are divided into left, right and center, not l/r (though a couple of them are actually in stereo) meaning, you can't just load up a factory stereo hall impulse and use it as a master bus reverb ... and you still have to set all your reverb parameters on your own (though this may not be a problem for you). You may want to download the Altiverb demo (a pricey option, granted) and mess around with Pro Verb on someone else's 6.01 setup to compare the two and see if Pro Verb alone is worth the hassle to upgrade right now.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
mediabot

Post by mediabot »

I can try to do that. Although I'm pretty much alone in the end zone as far as my known list of DP users (I'm the only one). We'll see.

thanks
timriley

Post by timriley »

Armageddon wrote: You may want to download the Altiverb demo (a pricey option, granted) and mess around with Pro Verb on someone else's 6.01 setup to compare the two and see if Pro Verb alone is worth the hassle to upgrade right now.
I had a similar dilemma recently.. I really wanted to get a good convo reverb, with more control options than the free LAconvolver.

Im really happy with how my system is running at present so didnt want to take the DP6 route.. Altiverb is out of my price range. I tried the Mellowmuse IR1A but had some serious stability issues so was put off it..

Last week in a spirt of impulsiveness brought on by a larger than usual pay-packet, i bought the SIR2.. I have to say it's one of the best, if not the best effect plug-ins i've used so far. It doesn't come with that many impulses, but enough for me for now..

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir2.html
Mac Pro Quad XEON/2.8Ghz/12GB RAM

Macbook Pro Core Duo/2.16Ghz/2GB RAM

OSX 10.6.8/DP7.22
busle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by busle »

I'm in a sort of catch-22 with this situation. I'm currently recording an album for my band, as well as a solo album, and I want to get a decent reverb plug by the time we reach the mixdown phase. of course, I'm on DP5, and apparently the highest quality options are to either buy Altiverb for $500, or upgrade to DP6 for $300. if I upgrade, I risk running into all of the problems that come with a brand-spanking-new upgrade that have yet to get fixed, but I get the nice reverb. that's something I can't accept right in the middle of recording an important project. on the other hand, if I opt for Altiverb, I'll have a kickass reverb, but I'll still have to save an extra few hundred bucks to upgrade DP down the line.

damn you, studio gods! damn you all to hell!!! :P
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

busle wrote:...or upgrade to DP6 for $300.
Is it THAT much? If you're on DP5, I thought the upgrade is less than that... like $195 or something?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
busle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by busle »

James Steele wrote:
busle wrote:...or upgrade to DP6 for $300.
Is it THAT much? If you're on DP5, I thought the upgrade is less than that... like $195 or something?
I dunno, I haven't checked in awhile. I thought I remembered it being around $300. maybe I was looking at the competitive upgrade, though. still, though, $200 bones is a lot of money on a tight budget. :)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, I guess the thought was that (once all the remaining issues are resolved with DP6-- and personally I'm using 6.01 and having a good experience with it) you can get DP6 and get a very high quality reverb, plus an excellent compressor/limiter (MW Leveler), plus track comping, plus VI pre-rendering and ability to bounce without printing VIs to audio first, and a host of other things.

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

There's definitely upsides and downsides to upgrading to 6 -- while I've encountered a few bugs with 6, I am in the middle of doing a test project on 6 running something like five instances of PLAY, an instance of SampleTank, an instance of of Sonik Synth, a B4 organ and an instance of FM 8, all in pre-render mode, which I couldn't fathom doing in DP 5.1.3. The pre-render also extends to audio plug-ins, which I haven't gotten to, yet. By the time DP gets the kinks worked out of 6 and it's as de-bugged as 5.1.3, it's gonna be pretty nice.

The DP upgrade costs $195 from MOTU's site. If you have a registered version of DP 5, just go to your registered products' page on MOTU and it'll tell you how much it will cost to upgrade.

By the way, I completely forgot, a cheaper alternative for you might be to consider Waves IR or IRL -- it's not quite as spiffy as Altiverb, but it IS a convolution reverb (and, at least in my opinion, still better than Pro Verb), and as long as you have an iLok key, you can download a full, usable demo from Waves. The only thing I didn't like about IRL was that it comes with like three presets. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and buy Altiverb.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page