Need Urgent Help with DP6

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
maswot
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Need Urgent Help with DP6

Post by maswot »

I just upgraded to DP6 and OSX4.11. I never, ever had any problems with DP5.12, but DP6 now quits every five minutes or so.

I am using only one VI, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus, but at the 16bit level, and I have a Mac Pro dual core 2.8Ghz with 8 gigs of RAM. I am running about 10 tracks (10 instances of EWQLSO), which I believe is not too much. In theory, the system should be sailing through.

Here's what happens: I'll hit play and it usually runs fine, but every five or so minutes I will hit play and it will start to run and then quit. It does this easily a dozen times per hour. Thankfully it hasn't yet quit when I hit record, but it will often quit after I've recorded something and go to hear it in playback. I have to save everything I do as soon as I do it. This is no way to finish a soundtrack.

Is DP6 incompatible with the new EWQLSO Play engine? Should I change the default buffer settings (if so, what size do you recommend?) Just FYI, I recently got the Waves SSL plug-in, but I have not used it yet. Could that be a factor? If so, what can be done be done about it.

I'm not a techie and I only recently went back to Mac after 6 years, which means I don't know where anything is anymore, so if there is a solution I would really appreciate some step-by-step help. Thanks -- Marc

PS. I submitted a Tech query at Motu 10 days ago but with the holidays they have not yet been able to respond. I hope there's a solution, because DP6 looks really, really nice. Otherwise, anyone know where on the MOTU site you can download 5.13? Thanks and best wishes to one and all for 2009 -- Marc
My karma ran over my dogma
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Need Urgent Help with DP6

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

A few things to try:

1- Delete the preference file for DP.

2- If you can revive the DP 5 version MAS Audio plug in (I'm out of town and don't have the exact name - I'll try to find it on the forum). I don't have the EW stuff, but some VI's just hated the DP 6 MAS plug in.

3- Reinstall EW? Again, I don't have that.

4- Reinstall DP?

More later.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

The file I mentioned is the:

MAS AudioUnit Support.bundle

user>Library>Audio>Plugins/MAS

I believe the dp 5 ver is 1.7, but that would be the first thing I would try (replacing it). If you already trashed it, drop me a PM.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dhm

Post by dhm »

Howdy, may I ask why are you running Tiger 4.11 on a Mac Pro? just interested. You should be on OSX Leopard 10.5 at least ! 10.5.6 OS is out now... Have you upgraded to DP 6.01 FREE MOTU Downloads for registered users. What also is your audio interface? I will warn you East West and they past use of Native Inst Players can be problematic, but if like myself you load samples into Kontakt 3.02 you should be fine! As to the New EW Player I dont think there's a problem. Go to there site and look under support? I believe a lot of your problems stem from the OS, DP and possibly the East West Player.

I would first upgrade my OS to 10.5.6 Leopard, then upgrade DP 6 to 6.01 Possibly buy Kontakt or Mach 5 v 2 in the future. Best Wishes lets us know how you go on! Cheers DH
MIDI Life Crisis

I recall there being a problem with NI and Leopard. Maybe an upgrade to Tiger would be safer. I think that's what James Steele is using. I'm on Leopard, but abandoned NI until they get that all fixed.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

First of all, use Leopard OS: 10.5.6.

Secondly, get the free update to DP 6.01

Thirdly, make sure that all your plugins and virtual instruments are up to date for that combo.

I haven't had any crashes in DP 6.01 in recent memory. None really that I can remember since upgrading to it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I recall there being a problem with NI and Leopard. Maybe an upgrade to Tiger would be safer. I think that's what James Steele is using. I'm on Leopard, but abandoned NI until they get that all fixed.
Clarification: the problem with some of the NI plugs happens with the combination of:

a) G5 (PPC) Macintoshes
b) DP 6.0 / 6.01
c) Mac OS 10.5.x (Leopard)

The poster has a MacPro which is Intel, right? There's no reason not for him to upgrade to Leopard, IMHO. (I think he already stated he is using Tiger.) It's only PPC machines running DP 6 under Leopard that are having problems with some of the NI plug-ins.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

James Steele wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I recall there being a problem with NI and Leopard. Maybe an upgrade to Tiger would be safer. I think that's what James Steele is using. I'm on Leopard, but abandoned NI until they get that all fixed.
Clarification: the problem with some of the NI plugs happens with the combination of:

a) G5 (PPC) Macintoshes
b) DP 6.0 / 6.01
c) Mac OS 10.5.x (Leopard)

The poster has a MacPro which is Intel, right? There's no reason not for him to upgrade to Leopard, IMHO. (I think he already stated he is using Tiger.) It's only PPC machines running DP 6 under Leopard that are having problems with some of the NI plug-ins.
THis is getting complicated. Now I'll have to go buy an Intel G5! :)

Thanks for the clarification Shooshie and James.

Have a great New Year!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS