2 B3 or Not 2 B3? That is the Question.

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2 B3 or Not 2 B3? That is the Question.

Post by HCMarkus »

Anyone care to weigh in on these options? I work both in my personal and outside studios and live. Comments on Leslie simulation would be especially appreciated...

1. NI B4

2. Logic EVB3

3. Nord Electro

4. Suzuki Hammond XK-1 and XK-3c
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Nord electro I have used and a dear friend has one and the Hammond simulation are some of the best out there IMHO.

I'd try one.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

For the price, B4 anytime. Make sure you have controller with all the faders you need though.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Dwetmaster wrote:For the price, B4 anytime. Make sure you have controller with all the faders you need though.
That would be my 2nd choice :D
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

I love my B4 and B4II, however the Nord Electro is really amazing and it's portable if you don't have a laptop.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I wish I could still use the B4 as NI changed something in the B4II's Overdrive that makes it virtually unusable. It's definitely not as smooth as it was with the original B4
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

I've heard this from other folks as well but it doesn't bother me. I like taking virtual instruments out of the box anyway, so shutting off the OD and running it through either another plug-in or a pedal or an amp is a good solution. And if you have Komplete you can obviously use Guitar Rig.

Check out this plug-in as well for Tape Saturation:

http://www.smassey.com/au.html

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Funny because this is actually what I use for Saturation purposes :)
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Anybody play the new Hammond XK-3c?
Anyone using the Logic Organ? I recall reading that it compares favorably to the NI version.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Last edited by HCMarkus on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

B4 II is the bomb in my book.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
markwayne

Post by markwayne »

I agree. NI got it right with the B4.

Having said that I do a fair amount of work in a studio with a well maintained C3 and Leslie combo. Oh my! Just about the time I begin to forget how organic and thick a real Hammond sounds, the studio owner (an old school, prog rock guy) will play some UK tune on that beast and I'll fall in love all over again.

I think it really comes down to the fact that the sound is so elusive and hard to capture on tape/disk that sometimes the VIs win out. But if you are standing next to the real deal in a nice room . . .
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

markwayne wrote:I agree. NI got it right with the B4.

Having said that I do a fair amount of work in a studio with a well maintained C3 and Leslie combo. Oh my! Just about the time I begin to forget how organic and thick a real Hammond sounds, the studio owner (an old school, prog rock guy) will play some UK tune on that beast and I'll fall in love all over again.

I think it really comes down to the fact that the sound is so elusive and hard to capture on tape/disk that sometimes the VIs win out. But if you are standing next to the real deal in a nice room . . .
Of course my B4 doesn't stand a chance compared to the M3/Leslie 122 we have at church. There's nothing Like feeling that wooden speaker shaking right next to you. Same thing thing apply with BFD or Ivory, there's nothing like standing right next to the instrument and feeling it vibrating. But on CD I'd rather have a B4 than a poorly recorded Organ in a bad room...
noah330

Post by noah330 »

Not being a keyboard player I have to say I really like B4.

The only thing I hate is I paid for B4 and they make you pay for the Intel upgrade instead of making it Intel compatible.

That being said, MOTU's 'Electric Keys', which I just picked up and really like - gives a pretty decent B3 as well.

In case you don't know, MF is selling the B4 II bundled with some others for $169.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=702669
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

B4 is a fun VI that sounds great. I've only used the demo version. I ended up getting a Nord Electro 2 because i needed good organ sounds and key sounds for use live. It hasn't disappointed. A very playable instrument, and sounds great through a guitar amp. I think the speaker emulation is amazing. A step up would be the nord stage, which has multiple organ models (the electro is just one hammond, the a100 i think). It really is an amazing keyboard.

I never got into vi's because I have never had a good controller. but i much prefer standalone instruments over ITB equivalents, so instead of a neat controller and vi bundles, i just got a nord. Can just turn it on and start playing, no latency etc. It does 90% of what I ask for out of a keyboard.

I would just try them out and decide!
why would i want to skin a cat?
HCMarkus

Re:

Post by HCMarkus »

Bump
HCMarkus wrote:Anybody play the new Hammond XK-3c?
Anyone using the Logic Organ? I recall reading that it compares favorably to the NI version.

Thanks for the replies so far.