DP & Cubase.. on the same MAC. Any problems??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Radiogal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP & Cubase.. on the same MAC. Any problems??

Post by Radiogal »

I just got Cubase SE3 from a friend that switched to Logic 8.
Due the fact I use my system professionally with DP 5.01 on a very stable MAC PPC I wonder if adding Cubase could mess up my system. I had problems back in the 90 ties with Emagic Logic and Cubase that couldn‘t be installed on the same computer. I like Cubases MIDI working flow, so that would be my reason to install Cubase.

So before I mess my MAC up I‘d like to hear if anyone has Cubase and DP installed on the same MAC and if it works or not.
Greatful for an answer.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Hi Ya

I have DP, Pro Fools LE, Logic 8 all installed and there is not a problem.

The thing back in the old dark days of OS9 was extension conflicts which is pretty sorted in OSX so you shouldn't really have a problem.

I'm sure there are some here that have both running without drama's.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
rumorcontrol

Post by rumorcontrol »

I use DP and Nuendo side by side on the same machine all day long with no problems.....RC
MAC PRO 12 CORE, DP5, DP6, DP7, Melodyne Studio, Nuendo 4, Vienna Instruments ,Project Sam, LA Scoring Strings, EastWest Platinum Pro,Ethno World Complete, Stormdrum 2, Ivory, Access, NEVE 1073's, API 512's, Rob Papen Blue & Albino, Mach 5, NI Komplete, Ocean Way Drums, UAD QUAD, Waves Platinum, Sonnox, Altiverb, Millena HV-3C ,3 Apogee Rosetta 800's, Apogee Symphony card, Shadow Hills Equinox. Barefoot MM 27s...etc
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

I have about 300 different applications on my rig and lots of people say that if you have an audio machine keep it that way (audio only applications) but in time I have found out it all depends on how you keep your system streamlined so...
I can see if your running them concurrently you may have a few hangs I'm sure but why would you open up 2 DAW's @ the same time if you have DP? I have Logic too but I NEVER use it... I use it mainly to open up OMF's from other DAW's because DP has issues with them for some reason... but I have found that restarting to quit various extensions that may be running in the background helps keep OS X running smoothly when your running multiple apps and before I do any DP sessions...
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I have Cubase and DP and Logic all on the same machine, dual 2.3Ghz PPC G5.

The problems with Cubase these days are mostly related to synchrosoft, and also to drivers if you're trying to run Yamaha's Studio manager within Cubase and want to use mLan. MLan issues can be pretty sticky. Mainly it's synchrosoft, though - after all these years it has gotten a bit better, but it is still problematic, losing track of key licenses, refusing to recognize a connected syncrosoft key, things like that.

I gotta be honest, I have Cubase because from time to time someone brings me a Cubase project to mix. Otherwise, I just don't use it, so I can't say much about it. Logic8 I use for the same purpose - to swap projects with other Logic users, or sound design with Sculpture, which is one of the coolest VI's ever. Occasionally I'll browse the Apple Loops in Logic to come up with some templates for song ideas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PPC Dual 2.3Ghz, 4.5 GB RAM, OSX 10.4.11, DP 5.13, 828 MKII, MIDI Timepiece USB AV, 2nd internal drive for audio, Liquid Mix, Waves, Blue Tubes, MH Channel Strip, PSP, Audio Damage, Ozone 3, T-Racks, NI, Spectrasonics, Arturia, a bunch of VI's running on a PC.