Steele and Metal

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Steele and Metal

Post by Frodo »

This is for James:

Are you into Dethklok? Thoughts?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ummm... I honestly haven't heard of them. I guess I'm sheltered or just too old school. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

James Steele wrote:Ummm... I honestly haven't heard of them. I guess I'm sheltered or just too old school. :(
Aw, don't frown. I'm not 100% sure this is worthy of you yet.

Dethkok is the band on Cartoon Network's animated series "Metalacolypse". Lots of speed and thrash metal with occasional moments of true brilliance. This is in no small part due to the work of guitarist Brendan Small, who manages to create a semi-serious, semi-comedic band sound for the animated series. In an odd way, the fictitious band is kind of like a modern day Spinal Tap for the way it diggs at the metal mentality.

One of the tunes, for example, is called "Crush My Opponent's Balls". :lol:

The drums on their tracks sound sequenced, but I've heard some ferocious guitar work being done. Anyway, there are very few shows on these days making use of metal as a statement of any kind, comedic or otherwise.

It's all humorous and all in good fun, but as we know it takes someone with brilliant skill to do a convincing lampoon of any kind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bren ... limage.jpg

In any case, I'll be devising ways of picking your metal brain as I'm genuinely curious about your playing and your passions on the subject of rock music in general.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

As wonderfully brilliant as Jimbo is at playing his axe, I'm not sure he's mastered brain picking yet, Hobby. :?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
markwayne

Post by markwayne »

I think this stuff is brilliant personally. I had no idea this was from a cartoon. I just happened across the band because the guitarist is Mike Keneally and I'm a huge Keneally fan.

And, if you like this, please check out Mike Keneally (BTW - he is the guitarist standing behind Brendan in the picture you linked and is formerly of Frank Zappa's last touring line-up - taking over for Steve Vai). He has the same sense of humor (they have worked together quite a bit) but far more musicality. I believe the touring version of Deathklock is basically Mike Keneally's band (Beer For Dolphins).

Wayne
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think Mike is a San Diego boy too.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

monkey man wrote:As wonderfully brilliant as Jimbo is at playing his axe, I'm not sure he's mastered brain picking yet, Hobby. :?
I'm personally much better at nose picking! :wink:
Matcher

Post by Matcher »

Thanks for bringing this virtual band up. The cartoons seemed like a hit too :) I saw Mike live once with Vai, he's a great guitar and keyboard player.
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

I like the band more than the show. The cartoon is OK (though I've only seen an episode or two so I don't have a lot to go on), but I think the band has some great songs; I think my favorite song title is "Bloodtrocuted".

For the uninitiated, check out some tunes at their MySpace page or the 30-second previews on Amazon.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

carrythebanner wrote:I like the band more than the show. The cartoon is OK (though I've only seen an episode or two so I don't have a lot to go on), but I think the band has some great songs; I think my favorite song title is "Bloodtrocuted".

For the uninitiated, check out some tunes at their MySpace page or the 30-second previews on Amazon.
Yeah-- that's what struck me. The cartoon has its moments-- and their are a lot of inside jokes as well that may get away from the more casual viewer. But it was the music that caught my ear-- in particular the guitar playing
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I read something that said they were touring.

bb