No Virtual Instrument to select in MIDI output...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
TroySterling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

No Virtual Instrument to select in MIDI output...

Post by TroySterling »

This one was bugging me from the start on learning DP and so I thought I would share it for anyone else new:

"Solutions to a couple of typical DP head-scratchers...
My virtual instrument doesn't show up as an output in MIDI tracks
First of all, the virtual instruments you have installed on your Mac won't appear as potential outputs in your MIDI tracks until you've actually instantiated them in an Instrument track. Importantly, though, they still won't show up unless that Instrument track has a valid audio output. Check to make sure the output is not trying to use audio hardware that is not currently enabled. You'll be able to tell because the output name will appear in italic text.'

Full link:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun07/a ... p_0607.htm
http://www.troysterling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.troysterling.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac Pro 2.66Ghz Quad-Core Xeon Intel 8G RAM
DP7.12, Logic Pro 9, Sonar Pro 8.5
East West Platinum Orchestra, Storm Drum 1&2, EWQL RA, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, EWQL Ministry of Rock, EWQL Fab Four, Project Sam Symphobia, Project Sam True Strike 1&2.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

MOTU sort of addressed this feature with the "Add Instruments" menu which has saved me numerous head-scratchers. I don't even use the regular Add Track> Instrument Track procedure any more from the Project many and prefer to use Shift-Option-Apple-I simply because this feature automatically sees and assigns an audio output for the instrument track where adding a generic instrument track on its own may not.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
TroySterling

Post by TroySterling »

When using the control-option-I, I do get an instrument track, but it still has the italicized output. (Built-in Audio 1-2)

So, I still have to change it to Built-in Output 1-2 in order for it to show up in the MIDI output drop down.
http://www.troysterling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.troysterling.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac Pro 2.66Ghz Quad-Core Xeon Intel 8G RAM
DP7.12, Logic Pro 9, Sonar Pro 8.5
East West Platinum Orchestra, Storm Drum 1&2, EWQL RA, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, EWQL Ministry of Rock, EWQL Fab Four, Project Sam Symphobia, Project Sam True Strike 1&2.
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

Yes. You have to have a track assigned to an active output for the VI to show up. You can drag the output that you want to be the default to the top of the list in the Output Bundles dialog to have new tracks automatically set to that output.
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

TroySterling wrote:When using the control-option-I, I do get an instrument track, but it still has the italicized output. (Built-in Audio 1-2)

So, I still have to change it to Built-in Output 1-2 in order for it to show up in the MIDI output drop down.
Aha--

SHIFT- Option- Control(Apple)- I is the one you want. This opens up a convenient dialog and the need to manually assign the audio outputs are automatically made for you when you're done with the dialog.

Using the key command without SHIFT will open very generic tracks where all aspects must be done manually.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
nikki-k

Post by nikki-k »

V-Racks, and submix them :D

But, I am overboard, and have 4 V-Racks as a starting point..
It is also one of several reasons I am putting time into understanding DP, and learning it.

BTW- that was one of the very first things I learned: If Bundles is not set up with a proper Output set, many things will not be available, or work.
nikki :D
Mac Pro 1st gen 2.66, 4G ram; MBP 1st gen C2D; DP5.13; lava lamps and possessed stuffed animals...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It's funny, but the zillion times I've done this, I still end up staring at the same problem from time to time, and I have to trace my connections until I find where I've left it undone. Not often, mind you, but once in a while. Usually it comes down to an unexpected change in my bundles. THAT is caused by turning on a different set of audio interfaces, which messes up the bundle. Even when I put it back like it was, sometimes the bundles have to be reset or reloaded before it all works again.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|