MIDI Sequencers for PC's!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Infernal Scourge
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Sequencers for PC's!

Post by Infernal Scourge »

Hi Everybody,

I have been searching for a long time now for a product that can perform a specific function. I need a MIDI sequencer that will let me compose and than perform it live on my keyboards without me playing my keyboards through MIDI triggering. I was advised to Logic Pro 8 and Digital Performer to perform MIDI control over my keyboards. The problem is that they are Mac oriented and I don't know whether they will work on PC computers?? Can you please write me a list of all MIDI Sequencers out there that can perform MIDI control like Digital performer on PC computers or that can support both MAC and PC! Also feel free to mention any other MIDI Sequencer application MAC or PC support. I need quick and good replies please! Thank You all for the help! :D
"Every man dies, but not every man lives" William Wallace
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

http://reaper.fm/

Reaper for PC (and in Alpha form for the mac)
very powerful/full featured
emulatorloo

Re: MIDI Sequencers for PC's!

Post by emulatorloo »

Infernal Scourge wrote:The problem is that they are Mac oriented and I don't know whether they will work on PC computers?? Can you please write me a list of all MIDI Sequencers out there that can perform MIDI control like Digital performer on PC computers or that can support both MAC and PC!
I would suggest that you might also consider leaving the PC behind and trying a Mac with DP or Logic.

I know this is not the solution you want to hear.

However all my friends who have switched from Windows to Mac have but one regret:

"Why the @!@%# didn't I do this years ago?"

At any rate it is something to consider if the PC sequencers do not offer what you need.

==
http://www.lowendmac.com/deals/imac.html
http://www.lowendmac.com/deals/mini.html

The 2007 Mac mini Value Equation
http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/mm07/0808.html

The 2007 Mac iMac Value Equation
http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/mm07/0809.html
Infernal Scourge

Re: MIDI Sequencers for PC's!

Post by Infernal Scourge »

I looked in all the programs you all mentioned and I'm very confused. I'm looking for a MIDI sequencer for one thing basically. I want to be able to compose in some notation and the software to perform that composition on my keyboard through MIDI control like DP. It is very vague whether these PC softwares: (Cubase 4 maybe, Nuendo 4, Pro Tools M Powered) have what I am looking for. If anyone is certain if any of these softwares can do the trick please let me know. If PC softwares simply cannot perform these kind of MIDI functions please let me know; I will take your word and get a MAC with DP. I need to find a solution for this once and for all. Thank You everybody! 8)
"Every man dies, but not every man lives" William Wallace
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Why would it be vauge??
They all have what you're looking for..simple as that
EXCEPT Protools which (as fas as I no) doesnt do notation
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

If you live in New York, you owe it to yourself to go to SamAsh or some other music store that has DAW software running to experiencing it first-hand.

What's been recommended so far are all stellar applications and very strongly supported. Only you can best determine what your needs will be and which piece of software feels right to you.

The best thing to do is to check out the links thoroughly and to read the overviews, feature lists, and FAQs. Chances are a lot of your questions have been answered in these documents. The feature lists are very clearly listed on the respective sites for each of these products.

For more specific info, you shouldn't hesitate to call the companies or visit a music store to ask more specific questions and to see the software in action.

While there are many people who use PCs here for one purpose or another, I'd say that most people on this particular forum are Mac users. You may want to also check the forums of PC-based DAWs to determine what the system requirements are for your hardware as well as the feature sets of each.

Now, if you want to get a Mac and DP, you've come to the right place.

However, the most important thing is how any of these DAWs look and feel for you. This is something only you can decide.

It doesn't sound as if Pro Tools is the right choice.

Most of these DAWs have notation capabilities, although integrated notation is not always the best. Something like Finale or Sibelius will give you much more professional results should you find the notation features within any of the DAWs is not adequate. DAW notation has often been a weak points in general, but companies are working to improve this.

Composing *is* part of the purpose of any of these DAWs. Some products focus more on mixing audio. Some products might focus more on using virtual instruments. Which ones have the right balance for you? That's a hard question until you've tried them because not every piece of software appeals to every user.

Virtual instruments are supported by the major DAWs in a variety of compatible formats. These help greatly with creating audio performances of your compositions.

One website that may be very helpful is this:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/tweaking_your ... puter.html

It explains many aspects of building a computer based work station from A to Z.

Good luck!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52