I'm SO happy! Got a new gig. Just want to share...

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I'm SO happy! Got a new gig. Just want to share...

Post by FMiguelez »

Hi.

I am so excited about this that I want to SCREAM!!!!!!

Just got word from the producer that I got the job. It is not preciselly a hollywood blockbuster or anything, but it will allow me to write the kind of music I like, learn more music, etc.

It is a soap-opera. 80 one-hour chapters. Soap operas are extremely popular here in Mexico. They sell them all over the world (funny when seeing the familiar actors speaking chinnese).
Not only will I do the usual music library for it, but I talked the producer into letting me score against video the most important scenes.

The cool thing about it is that I will kill two birds with one shot: I am studying again my music books, so for instance, now I am deep into the Persichetti book. At the end of each chapter he suggests music assignments that relate to the chapter, so each assignment will become 1 piece for the tv show.

I would of course addapt his suggestions to fit my needs.

I just wanted to share this with you all :D

PS. I will start sequencing the examples in the Persichetti book, so I can listen to them in context. If anyone's interested in having the resulting audio files (when I finish them), please let me know.

Saludos.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Congratulations!!

I love to hear good news. Your excitement about your new project has brought some happiness to me just hearing about it. It's time to celebrate! Raise your glasses everyone. Here's to FMiguelez. Salute! 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks, Phil O!!!!

Salud!!!

Hopefully this project will allow me to FINALLY upgrade my VSL to the new Cube. I'll be a while before I see any money, though...

Cheers.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

`
Yippee, Fernando! Yay!

Man, as Phil said, it's great to hear some good news in these parts right now.
You're such a good kid, principled and all, that I've no doubt this could well be part of those "dues" we agreed would eventually come your way as long as you hung in there and continued to do the right thing.
You know what I'm talkin' 'bout, eh? :D
Your buddies can't offer you a cracked copy of this gig now, can they? :lol:

More power to you, Fernando; I'm wrapped for you. :D
Yay!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
zaster

Re: I'm SO happy! Got a new gig. Just want to share...

Post by zaster »

FMiguelez wrote:.
PS. I will start sequencing the examples in the Persichetti book, so I can listen to them in context. If anyone's interested in having the resulting audio files (when I finish them), please let me know.
I for one am always interested in stuff like this though I'm not familliar with the particular book. Is it orchestral? Will you be doing detailed mock-ups, i.e. aiming for realism?
emulatorloo

Re: I'm SO happy! Got a new gig. Just want to share...

Post by emulatorloo »

FMiguelez wrote:It is a soap-opera. 80 one-hour chapters. Soap operas are extremely popular here in Mexico.
Congrats!!! I am so excited for you -- It sounds like a dream job!

Let us know the title, because we get lots of novelas here in the states -- I am sure yours will be broadcast by one of the Spanish language cable channels here.

--
bdr

Post by bdr »

20th Century Harmony by Vincent Persichetti is a wonderful book that discusses many 20th century compositional devices (mainly first half of the 20th C). Can't wait to hear some polytonal soapie music. I'm sure the producers will love it...

There's a funny story attributed to David Raksin the great film composer. After writing years of utliltarian film music, a director contacted him and said 'I don't want any of that Hollywood music, I want something different and powerful, like Wozzeck'. He was thrilled to be able to write in a 20th century idiom, in the style of Berg's great expressionistic opera, and couldn't believe he had found a director with such advanced musical taste. Anyhow, he had the director over for dinner. As they were eating, he put on an LP. The producer yelled 'What the hell is that crap you're playing?'. Raksin's reply :'That crap , my friend, is Wozzeck...'
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Salud, FMig!

Te deseo que pases una:

¡Enhorabuena!

:P :P :P :P :P
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Emulatorloo wrote:Congrats!!! I am so excited for you -- It sounds like a dream job!
Thanks, Emulator. But it's not what I'd call "a dream job" at all. I mean, it's certainly nice, I'll get to write tons of music, etc., and hopefully the money will be very good.
My Dream Job will be when I get to actually score a real MOVIE. Now, THAT would be terrific.
Urr... Mr Spielberg??

But they will definitely broadcast it in the US. I'll tell you the name of it ASA they give it the "final" one.

How's your spanish? :D

Zaster wrote:I for one am always interested in stuff like this though I'm not familliar with the particular book. Is it orchestral? Will you be doing detailed mock-ups, i.e. aiming for realism?
The book is a very well regarded 20th Century Harmony book. The examples in the book are the ones I want to sequence.
I won't aim for realism at all. I probably won't even use samples. I Think I'll just my good old JV 2080.
What I'm after is just a decent sound that will let me listen to the examples in the context of the chapter they belong. They are also rather short, but to the point.

I should probably do the same with other books... Let's see... that's everyone except the Adler....

But if you want the resulting mp3s, let me know. Because unless you can play or sight-read the examples, they won't tell you much by just looking at them. And since I suck at the piano now, this will be easier.

Frodo wrote:Salud, FMig!

Te deseo que pases una:

¡Enhorabuena!
Muchas gracias, Amigo! :P

Monkey Man wrote:Yippee, Fernando! Yay!

Man, as Phil said, it's great to hear some good news in these parts right now.
You're such a good kid, principled and all, that I've no doubt this could well be part of those "dues" we agreed would eventually come your way as long as you hung in there and continued to do the right thing.
You know what I'm talkin' 'bout, eh?
Your buddies can't offer you a cracked copy of this gig now, can they?

More power to you, Fernando; I'm wrapped for you.
Yay!
Thank you so much for your kind words, Nicky.

Yeah, my buddies can't crack a copy of this :twisted:

If the money is good, and I upgrade to the VSL cube, I will go a few places lower in their "stupidity list" when they see I BOUGHT it :lol:

They'll probably regard me as "King Idiot", but who cares. They can shove their pirated stuff anywhere they feel like.

Thank you all.

Su amigo,

Fernando

emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

FMiguelez wrote:But they will definitely broadcast it in the US. I'll tell you the name of it ASA they give it the "final" one.

How's your spanish? :D
I can converse a litte -- Somedays my Spanish is ok, other days mediocre -- but usually ok enough that I can usually follow the plots of tv and movies. Plus your music will help make it all clear too!

--
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Congrats!