edit: Another one takes the Alphatrack plunge

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Ebaange
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

edit: Another one takes the Alphatrack plunge

Post by Ebaange »

I ordered one up on Friday; it's out for delivery now.
I won't get to play with it tonight (Good Yontif to you all) or tomorrow night (practice) but we'll see how it goes after that. I sure hope the poduct is better than the pre-sales support. In fact, I am so dubious about Frontier Design's support at this point, that I'm tempted to return the thing unopened. We'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.
Last edited by Ebaange on Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Guess I'm about to be an Alphatrack guinea pig

Post by James Steele »

Ebaange wrote:I ordered one up on Friday; it's out for delivery now.
I won't get to play with it tonight (Good Yontif to you all) or tomorrow night (practice) but we'll see how it goes after that. I sure hope the poduct is better than the pre-sales support. In fact, I am so dubious about Frontier Design's support at this point, that I'm tempted to return the thing unopened. We'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.
It might help for you to Search this board for posts about Alpha Track before posting. If you had searched, you'd have found posts by members here, myself included, that have been using AlphaTrack in DP with excellent results. I'm very pleased with it. I think I've had mine a month or so. It's working fine. Just make sure to download the latest drivers from Frontier's web site since the ones that will come on the CD will probably be outdated.

You're *hardly* a guinea pig.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Ebaange

Post by Ebaange »

Well, OK... point taken. I did actually read all the Alphatrack posts before deciding to take the plunge but I guess I didn't quite realize how many people here had already tried one out. I'll go back to lurk mode, now.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I wasn't trying to cause you to go lurk. Just saying that AlphaTrack is on it's 2nd revision of Digital Performer drivers and so it's not all that risky or anything. It definitely works.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

Yep, I've had mine for that long as well and use it everyday. AWESOME purchase. Not sure how I lived without it :)
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]
Ebaange

Post by Ebaange »

Sorry, just felt like I made a stupid remark.
I do have it hooked up and it looks pretty cool though not without its quirks (though that might be a lack of cluefullness on my part).
OK, back to it. This thing looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun to use.
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

Hah, if I had a dime for every stupid remark I've made...well, I could buy the internet! :)

Be sure to report back your feelings or questions on it here! :)
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]
digi

Alphatrack Touch-Mode does not work

Post by digi »

Touch mode does not work though....does it??.....meaning, if you move the fader and remain in contact with it, after about a second of not moving, to hold a vocal at a certain level, the alphatrack stops transmitting the fact that you are holding the fader at that level and DP just returns to its pre-touch level. I called Frontier Design about this and they found that touch mode does not work properly with the Mackie Universal or the Tascam FW mixer. The problem seems to be with DP. They tried versions 4.61, 5.01 and 5.11 all with the same result. Overwrite and Latch modes work fine...but touch....well that's another story. Frontier shot an email to DP today regarding this.
So....is your Alphatrack working fully???? Please test it and let me know.
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

Yes, I saw that same thing. Although, I don't use that feature right now, I will be in the future as I integrate it more into my flow. That's one of the reasons I bought it. For now, I ride the fader the whole time.

:)
Ebaange

Post by Ebaange »

I got a chance to play with this baby some yesterday and it *is* a pretty nifty gadget. I haven't gotten into deeply enough to really have a good feel for it but some things baffle - like the Punch function. Seems to me if I can set loop points with the AT in loop mode, then I should be able to set punch points when I'm in Punch mode. I can't. In fact, the whole Punch thing doesn't seem to provide a valuable function at all. Maybe it's because I have a foor pedal hooked up to it... OK, there's something that Punch does. If I don't have it in Punch mode, stepping on the pedal starts recording at that spot and keeps recording until I hit again. If I have punch-in and -out set (which I still have to do in DP, itself), then recording only activates when it hits the punch-in marker. Is that it? Is that all Punch does? Seems incomplete to me. The other annoyance is that, no matter what track I have selected, RTZ throws me back to track 1. So, I have to scroll my way back to the track I want. This is a pain. Otherwise, a pretty slick box... it works as advertised
digi

Post by digi »

Touch mode autiomation.....is kind of important. Why no worky? Why no waves plugins worky with intel? Kind of frustrating.
soundsun

Re: Alphatrack Touch-Mode does not work

Post by soundsun »

digi wrote:Touch mode does not work though....does it??
I've noticed the same problem with DP 4.61 and a SAC 2.2 - so I'm not sure if it's a problem with the Alphatrack but rather with DP. I've able to get the SAC to work fine with PT le but I've never been able to get touch to work on DP - does anyone have a trouble free touch mode?

_Phil
--
Macbook 2 gig with 2 gigs of RAM, 10.4.7, iMac G5, 1.9 Gig with 1.5 gigs of RAM ,10.4.6 DP 4.61
digi

Post by digi »

It's a DP thing! Frontier design told me...all the other programs work fine.
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Have you compared this with the FaderPort? I have and I think you'd be surprised....
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

In what way?