Plug In Bussing Problem

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dgrussell

Plug In Bussing Problem

Post by dgrussell »

I am helping a friend with his rig. We have switched him over to digital and have most everything working but this one thing that seems like it should work (I can get it to work on my rig) isnt working right. I have set up a stereo record track on his main mac (G5 DP 5.1) to both monitor and record all the aux inputs that come in digitally from gigas etc. That all works great. But when we add Stylus (or any VI) and set its output to go to the record/monitor track it doenst bass thru to be moniotred. It will record to the record track and we can hear it on playback, but cannot monitor live. It is configed like this:

Stylus Out put to "Record Bus" (bus 63-64)
Record Track Input set to "Record Bus" (bus 63-64)
Record Track Output set to Analog 1-2 (which goes to the moniotrs)
Audio Patch Thru is set to Auto.

The Gigas come into an Aux track and go to the record bus as well and can be heard.

It is getting to the Record Bus track because we can see it in the Audio Monitor and record the VI. It just isnt going through.

I have duplicated this to the best I can on my rig and it works fine.

I think I am missing something simple but just can't figure it out.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
David
paradeatw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by paradeatw »

i get weird routing problems from time to time as well.. only suggestion i can offer is change the actual buss numbers to another pair in the audio bundles... sometimes this works for me
The Arsenal:
DP 4.6 | OSX 10.4.8 | G5 Dual 1.8 | 4 GB RAM
Omega 8 | MPC2500 | Moog LP | API A2D | SM7
UAD | Waves SSL | RME Multiface 2 |KRK V6

Crazy Music and Crap: www.myspace.com/shanefontane
Post Pop Music House: www.postpopmusic.com
wheever

Post by wheever »

You didn't say what his interface was. That might help to know.

If you send the VI to an aux set to an output pair, can you hear it? Some of us without a MOTU I/O find that sometimes you can't monitor a record-enable track. I alway set up an aux to monitor from when this happens.'

hth,

Andrew
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
dgrussell

Post by dgrussell »

He has 2 2408mk IIIs. We can hear the VI if we send it directly to the analog out but that means he can't record it. We have tried other busses and have double checked the Bundles. Every thing looks good. Ill see if he can try to route it through an aux first. But that doesnt answer why it isnt working as is. It works fine on my rig and seems it should on his. I know I have had weird bussing/routing problems on other rigs. In fact, my rig at work I had to send everything to an Analog output (3-4) and record/monitor that. Nothing would work going through the busses.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

This happened to me the other day as well.
I had changed the name of the bus in the Bundles window. Somehow, resetting it to it's factory name solved the problem for me.
I'm in DP 4.61, though...

Good luck.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

Go to Studio => Configure Audio System => Input monitoring mode and make sure that it's not set to direct hardware playthrough.

In order to bus VI's through audio tracks with the input monitor on it has to be set to 'monitor through effects'.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
wheever

Post by wheever »

I meant set up the aux in parallel.

So:

VI#1->record track-> 2408 out
VI#1-> Aux out-> 2408 out

Then, once the track is recorded, you turn off/disable the aux.

Does that work?
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!