Two pref questions that I can't find in the manual

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Two pref questions that I can't find in the manual

Post by 1176 »

Back in earlier versions, DP's automation was not on by default when opening a new track. I can't stand this. Is there a way to change it back as a pref?

Back in earler versions when overdubbing, old audio was always left underneath the new audio. I want it back this way. Is there a way to change back it as a pref?

I am using DP4.6.
sndhse

Post by sndhse »

To answer your 1st question. Go to Setup/Automation Setup and make sure "Enable Automation Playback" and "Enable Automation Recording" are not highlighted.
2nd Question. Make sure that " Overdub" is turned on.
I would suggest you save this as a new template.
Hope this helps.
John
G5 Quad 6.5GB ram/2408MKIII/MTPAV/Mackie d8b
DP 6.01/OS 10.4.11
B4, Kontakt 2, Absynth 3, Stylus RMX, Ivory 1.5, Addictive Drums, Sampletank 2, Ivory, East west Gold/XP, East West Symphonic Choirs, Reason 2.5, Waves Platinum, Altiverb, Vst Wrapper etc...

Post by 1176 »

No dice for #1, neither are checked. any other ideas?

Thank you for #2, I can't believe that's all it was... 8)
sndhse

Post by sndhse »

Are we talking about MIDI automation? If so, you may need to look in "Setup/Set Event Chasing" select or deselect anything you don't want. (eg cc#7)
I find it strange that DP would have any audio automation unless that automation was recorded.
On the tracks overview window make sure automation is deselected in the "ATO"(automation) column.
Again save this as a new template.

Hope this works for you
John
DP 6.01/OS 10.4.11
B4, Kontakt 2, Absynth 3, Stylus RMX, Ivory 1.5, Addictive Drums, Sampletank 2, Ivory, East west Gold/XP, East West Symphonic Choirs, Reason 2.5, Waves Platinum, Altiverb, Vst Wrapper etc...

Post by 1176 »

Not MIDI automation audio track automation. The automation play button comes on automatically as soon as I create a new stereo or mono track. I'd prefer it not to, as this gets me confused as to which tracks actually have automation moves.
sndhse

Post by sndhse »

When you create a new mono/stereo track is the automation on?
I've never had a problem with this.
Not sure why this is happening, my only advise to you would be to create a new file (one that you use all the time) and deselect all the automation, then "save as new template". Close the file and create a new DP file. Lets see if that takes care of the problem.

John
DP 6.01/OS 10.4.11
sndhse

Post by sndhse »

I fiddled around on my system to see if I could duplicate your scenario. I was able to do it. Here's what I think you need to do.
1)Go to Setup/Automation setup. Under "Track automation configuration" make sure "enable automation playback and "enable automation recording" are deselected.
2) Mouse to the bottom of the window, and click on "Save as Default for Audio Tracks"
3)Create a new mono/stereo track, and your automation enable button should stay greyed out, until of course you need it.
I hope this is helpful

John
DP 6.01/OS 10.4.11

Post by 1176 »

Hey, I know it was awhile ago, but I just tried your solution and it worked. Thanks for your help, John. I guess I never bothered to 'save' it in the past.
sndhse

Post by sndhse »

Glad I was able to help.
John
DP 6.01/OS 10.4.11